Hysteria review by Def Leppard

• Released: Jul 31, 1987
Def Leppard: Hysteria

Def Leppard can be easily described as the epitome of 80s pop metal. The slick production, catchy melodies and upbeat vibe of this album all make for something that can be enjoyed by any fan of rock music. This album, released in 1987 and produced by Mutt Lange (famous for work with bands such as AC/DC and the cars) went on to become one of the highest selling releases in rock history, with latest estimates putting sales at nearly 20 million units. The making of the album took an amazing 3 years, and was constantly plagued by problems, such as drummer Rick Allen losing his left arm in a car crash. The album's sound is something of a combination of the pop metal kind of music that was emerging at the time with the band's classic heavy metal sound. The instruments all complement each other, and support the vocals very well. It has to be said that the guitar work is slightly generic, with few excursions outside the normal pentatonic(s) and major scales. As with many other 80s pop metal bands, without unique vocalists the instrumental work of bands could so very easily be mistaken for the work of other bands.

Joe Elliott is a highly talented singer/songwriter, and his skills really come to the fore in this album. He has always maintained throughout Def Leppard's career that his lyrics are non-personal, and meant to be easily accessible and memorable to the listener. That idea is strongly highlighted on "Hysteria", with constant sing-alongs, and lyrics that etch themselves into your mind. One of the small downsides I've found is that sometimes the lyrics become slightly indistinguishable.

The standout songs of this album in my mind are "Animal", "Hysteria" and "Run Riot". Overall, it is a highly listenable work that can keep the listener entranced with it's memorability. As previously mentioned, the instrumental work can be slightly generic, though there's enough individuality to keep the album from becoming stale.

Asterios
    With this album they totally crossed over.Not a very hard rock album but a very very great kind of melody rock album.All the songs are great , non of the songs dissapoint you and every song has something special in it.
    Maurice(GUN)
    I Think Def Leppard Is One Of Best Bands Of The 80's!!! I Love All Their Albums But Hysteria Was By Far The Best Era. Even Though Pyromania Was Great!! But The Sound Of The Band On Hysteria Was Tight. Steve Clark R.I.P. Was One Of The Best Guitarist Period There Will Be No Other Like Him His Playing Style Was So Vivid On Hysteria Such Songs Like: Hysteria, Women, Gods Of War, Animal, Etc Really Showed His Style And Technique Espically The Title Track. But Hysteria Is A Classic And A Must Have In Any RockFan Or Guitarist Collection.
    MaggaraMarine
    "It has to be said that the guitar work is slightly generic, with few excursions outside the normal pentatonic(s) and major scales. As with many other 80s pop metal bands, without unique vocalists the instrumental work of bands could so very easily be mistaken for the work of other bands." I have to disagree. Nobody cares about which scales you play (also, pretty much every solo is based on pentatonics, minor or major scale or some kind of variation of them). It's about how you play the notes, not that much about what notes you play (or what scales the notes belong to). And I wouldn't say the guitar work is generic. In the 80s it was all about shredding and they don't have any shred solos on this album. I also like it that they don't only play power chord riffs. And you can hear when it's Def Leppard playing. They modulate a lot and have these backing choirs. Guitar work on its own might not be that interesting to listen to but when you add other instruments I think it sounds awesome.