Songs From The Sparkle Lounge review by Def Leppard

• Released: Apr 29, 2008
Def Leppard: Songs From The Sparkle Lounge

Def Leppard's first studio album composed of original music since the 2002 release of the album "X", in classic Def Leppard style, leaves you wanting more. The new album entitled "Songs From The Sparkle Lounge", has a variety of different kinds of songs, all having different grooves, yet still keeping the classic Def Leppard feel. Country star Tim McGraw even makes a guest appearance in the song "Nine Lives." The song "Nine Lives" is a fun song that employs the theme of "nine lives, nine times to die." Each of the songs on this album have their own unique sound. None of them have the "same" sound, that many albums of various bands have, causing listener to become bored and adjetated. Because of this, the album doesn't become tiresome at all, you can listen to it over and over again, and not become the least bit bored. The songs on this album have a range of sounds from a heavier sound, as heard in the song "Go", to a classic hair metal party sound, as heard in the song "Bad Actress", to ballads, such as the song "Love". All songs on this album have excellent song structure, great singing, and most importantly, excellent guitar work. Every song is filled with catchy melodies and hooks that will keep you listening. Def Leppard fans will not be dissapointed with "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge."

They lyrics on "Songs from the Sparkle Lounge" are well written, and fit appropriatley with each song. The lyrics on the song "Nine Lives" for instance, are all about living life to the fullest, seize the day, and don't live in regret. One line stuck out to me, "nine lives, nine times to die", which to me, basicly means take chances, as in the line "took a chance on a chance but the aces were high." The song is about having fun, living life, taking chances, and not looking back one day to later regret anything. The lyrics in the song "Go" are about the lies people or orginizations constantly feed you. The listener can interpret this to anyone, anything, or any situation that fits appropriately. One line "You hide behind your mask of desperation", means to me, that people try to tell you things, and lie, and act manipulative, as a shield to mask their insecurities, weaknesses and faults. Without that artificial barrier of deception, they could not exist. Also the line "I won't surrender to your last temptation", tells me that no matter how much someone or something is telling you something, no matter how much they try to shove it down your throat, stick to your own beliefs, and don't accept thoughts, ideas, lies, statistics, or anything that applies, just becasue someone else told you so. Another song, "Undone", is Joe Elliot singing about a girl that genuinly likes him for who is is, and not for any other reason, and when he comes "undone", she is the only one that understands him and can "put me back together again." Overall the lyrics are great, and fit each song excellently.

Overall this album is pretty darn good. The songs are catchy, the lyrics are thought provoking, the guitar work is melodic, and the overall groove and vibe of the album is outstanding. Each song has its own meaning, and really its own sound. The songs have a variety of different sounds to them, preventing the listener from becoming "bored" with the same sounding songs. I went through the whole album twice, still ready to hear more of it. It is a great album for anyone who enjoys really well written and catchy music. There really isn't anything about this album that I did not enjoy. When you buy this album and listen to it, you will be satisfied, and not dissapointed the least bit.

Keegz_smith
    i cont particularly like the song love but the rest are really good. hope they play them at the Melbourne concert on November 3rd. ill be there 9/10
    flambe chicken
    I might actually get it... the 'nine lives' refrain has been in my head for about 4 weeks i think!
    defleppettychik
    I bought the album the first day it came out and listened to it over and over! I thought it was one of the best albums in history!
    dev75
    An excellent cd, its sounds like one tight band, with awesome guitar work and vocals! There is not one song you want to skip!
    Sloopy
    I listened to this record for kicks at a buddy's house last night. I have to say, I thought it was terrible. I've never been a huge Leppard fan - even in their heyday - and Sparkle Lounge didn't convert me either.
    Genghis_khan
    After reading this... no the review but the comments in here I'm getting this album today! Will be my first Leppard album in a long, long time!
    bi-ah!
    the reviewer did a good job on this...everything he said was pretty accurate...it was a great cd...Def Leppard FTW!!!
    bfchead
    nice a new def leppard album, to bad i live in bangladesh this band dosent deverve a pirate
    daveensz
    I've been a fan for years and do agree with the writer that these songs are catchy and easy to listen to without getting bored. I don't think the lyrics are all that deep in any of the songs, though, especially track #3 'Come On'
    Roland Medina
    I didnt think that this would be as good as it was. I popped it in and to be honest with you, to me, it sounded like a classic def record. ROCK ON
    mdely
    i agree with the UG guys on this one. great def leppard album. and that's what it is, an album. not a cd with a quick hit single. whole album is great. sounds like classic def leppard but, has a modern sound to it on some songs. overall great album.
    TheUnholy
    ezza61
    Yeah at the beginning i was so so.. but know I pretty much think its great.
    -MetalUpYourAss
    At first I really wasn't sure bout this album, some of the songs were quite repetitive but now i can't get enough of it!
    Blackened_Death
    I was a little unsure whether to give this album a listen at first but the album actually took me by surprise and had me listen to it again and again. Sounds like it could have come out in the early 90's somewhere after adrenalize. I now listen to it quite regularly.
    zalant
    I'm so stoked to read a positive review and all of the positive comments. I'll definitely be checking this out! TheUnholy wrote:
    There's spelling mistakes
    If you're going to bring out the grammar pen, you really need to bring your 'A' game. While it may be commonplace to write or say "there's" and then follow it with a plural subject, it is still incorrect. I also noticed the errors in this review, but I often notice them in UG reviews, so I wasn't terribly surprised.
    CJRocker
    TheUnholy wrote: I don't mean to knock the reviewer, but this doesn't read like an UG Team review. There's spelling mistakes, and it's far too hagiographic (too much praise, not enough analysis).
    +1. I thought it was another, boring, average album. At least it was better than Slang or X. I thought it was maybe close to Adrenanlize in songwriting, but not in guitar playing. Of course I think they lost it after Pyromania, so take that with a grain of salt
    Asterios
    I would say a strange lep album in a good way.Not a poppy (thank God!!!) album but a pure rock,glammy music creation.From hard rocker Go/Halluscinate to fast bad actresss to "partie" Cmon to ballad Love.Nice guitars and cool solos from both gyus.I think you can tell the influence of Vivian's contribution to some of his songs like Let Go,Cruise Control,Only the good die young.