Songs From The Sparkle Lounge review by Def Leppard

• Released: Apr 29, 2008
Def Leppard: Songs From The Sparkle Lounge

Def Leppard are seen by many as the UK's Bon Jovi, but where Bon Jovi took on a more country vibe of resent years Def Leppard have remained true to a more hard rock sound. However they still make moments for signature Leppard traits such as over lapping multilayer vocals, wall of sound guitars and of course the ballad! This album has slight reminiscent sounds of U2 from the start with the high piercing guitar but from the chorus of the second track its back to what people want to hear the seemly never ending harmonies, with a guitarist that is clear must of inspired Justin Hawkins on his "Hot Leg" album. Then from the intro of "C'mon C'mon" its clear this is a great classic Leppard album.

The lyrics are generally a lot more serious then in past albums, at moments taking on a more mature part which sadly lets them down. Luckily they stay true to them selves on stand out tracks such as "C'mon C'mon" and the emotional ballad "Love". The lyrics stand out a lot on Love as not many bands write a better ballad than Def Leppard and I don't think many have written as many successful ones. Another stand out part of Def Leppard tracks are their ever poignant harmonies, after just listening to "Love" it has a very Queen feel to it sort of if you combined "Love Of My Life", "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "The World That We Created" and added a modern edge twist.

All in all I believe it to contain some very good songs but not a very good over all album, in fact after re listening to it I feel that it is the track "Go" that sets this album off in the wrong direction and if they had perhaps opened the album with "Bad Actress" or "Hallucinate" which are a more traditional Def Leppard song I would of been able to ease myself into the album alot better. Stand out tracks are "Love", "C'mon C'mon", the guitar intro of "Hallucinate" and a track that has that modern edge but pulled off well in Gotta Let It Go that reminds me of UK band Heavens Basement. All in all I am glad I purchesed this album and would recommend it to their fans and possibly fans of Bon Jovi (I know its cliche) but I can't see it gaining them new fans.