One Thing Remains review by Default

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
Default: One Thing Remains

The Canadian band it's back with their third album, "One Thing Remains", after the big hit "Wasting My Time" all the people have been looking for a similar sound in this band, I think this album have it, and what it has too, it's a heavier sound than the last two albums. Maybe Default would not change the music, but this album it's too great. Jeremy took this time a heavier distortion for the guitar, and the sound is better than the last two albums, the drums and the bass still being the same, but great as always, in the voice, we notice a more mature singer, maybe with not a voice like in "The Fallout" following the influence of Eddie Vedder, but this time Dallas can reach higher notes and has a clean voice now.

Well "The Fallout" and "Elocation" have songs that could be taken to be the soundtrack of your life with songs like: "Deny", "Live A Lie", "Let You Down, "Taking My Life Away" And "All She Wrote" to name a few, but this time Dallas didn't write about love or things like that, he took another way to write, "Count on Me" it's a friendship song, but the doubt is in what was influenced the entire album to be wrote, the lyrics are ok, but this time Default doesn't offer a good lyrics as the last two albums.

Default tried to do a great album, and they made it, they could write a great album, but what we have to face it's that the people look for Default music thinking they are playing like in "The Fallout" yet, we have to face that the people like more the new wave bands, but this is an album you need to have in your collection, or to listen once in a while. it's a more mature album in every way, lyrics, music, melodies, I'd pick "All Is Forgiven", "It Only Hurts" and "Count On Me" as the best tracks on the album, of course it's my opinion for some people could be better tracks. I think Default delivers with this album, and shows they still here rocking, doing such a great songs.