One Thing Remains Review

Default: One Thing Remains
Released: Oct 11, 2005
Label: TVT
Genres: Post-Grunge
Default returns with their most mature and uncompromising collection of songs to date. "One Thing Remains" equally channels the classic and the modern - from Led Zeppelin to A Perfect Circle - into something unique.
 Lyrics: 8.3
One Thing Remains Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 08, 2005

Sound: Default has always been a pretty kick ass band, and this album is another sucess for them in my eyes. The sound is a fresh breathe of air. Very true to basic Default style, but different at the same time. Jeremy still delivers that heavy sound with those awsome solo's, Dave's bass playing remains very technical and true to his style, Danny's drumming also stays the same, very fast and technical, and Dallas's singing sustains it's range and emotional impact. These guys never quit suprising me. This album has alot of basic default style in it, but it's also a tad bit heavier than the other two albums(The Fallout, Elocation). I love Default, always nice to listen to. // 10

Lyrics: Dallas has some very heart felt lyrics. His lyrics match perfectly with his emotional voice. He can sing very soft, but he can also sing very hard to. Such aspects can be heard on their first single "Count On Me" which is an awsome song. I can relate to every word spoken in that song. Dallas, you rule man! // 10

Overall Impression: This is an awesome CD. Default never ceases to amaze me. A lot of people think they're a "one hit wonder band" with their song "Wasting My Time," but I totally disagree. They have so many good songs, it's impossible to pick a favorite from them. All their CDs are good. This CD is another good example of what they can do as a band. I recommend this CD for any rock fan. Dallas, Jeremy, Dave, and Danny, keep up the good work guys, you kick ass! // 10

One Thing Remains Reviewed by: UG Team, on december 21, 2005

Sound: I guess one of the main problems with rock bands now is that there's one big star -? Nickelback. And doesn't really matter how good the band is, it is always gonna be compared to them. It's almost impossible to see where the group got their original sound that just sounds like Nickelback and where the guys are just copying them without any imagination. With this band ? Vancouver rockers Default - it's almost like a hopeless case ? not only everybody's comparing them to "the big brother," but their CD "One Thing Remains" was out about the same time as Nickelback's new album. Plus, the lead single from the album "Count On Me" was co-written by Nickleback's Chad Kroeger. But I think the record is worth giving it at least a fair listen. Everything else depends on you music sophistication. "One Thing Remains" album itself is 100% radio-friendly record and is full of "born to be popular" four-chord, three-minute rock songs. Default got a talent for good melodies, which is very rare among young bands nowdays. Another best thing on the album, is guitar riffs. The band's guitar player Jeremy Hora admits he's never done so many guitar parts on an album. That is producer Bob Marlette's merit -- with experience of working with Tracy Chapman and Black Sabbath, Marlette brought some if his "rock-making skills" to Default's music. You can feel it even in the ballads -? like in "Finding My Way Out," that has sharp-sounding guitars combined with beautiful melody line to create a "macho" sound. "Hiding From The Sun" is the "hardest" song on the record with strict drums and wild energy. There are lots of guitar hooks along the tracks and melodies are simple and catchy -- you would find yourself singing alone the songs even during the first play. // 6

Lyrics: Lyrically there's nothing special ?- common "real man's" songs for lonely girls' hearts -? subjects that work all the time, no matter how you say it -- tribute to lost love, heartbreak, "you can always count on me" those could be one of the best things you've ever heard if they weren't sung before a million times. The choruses are mostly listenable and you're even not ashamed to sing along. But the versus is where the author's brilliant thoughts are hiding. Like "...the rain comes and goes" ?- that's a very new statement noone's heard about before. Or "Don't stop the rain from pouring down" from the same song "All Is Forgiven" ?- I mean, even if you want to, how can you possibly stop the rain?? I do realize it's an allegory, but a very primitive one. What recoups all those cheesy lines is Dallas Smith's vocal -? strained and sometimes gritty voice. He sings that with such passion that you almost believe him. // 6

Overall Impression: Even though "One Thing Remains" is Default's third album, there're no signs of maturing. Their debut album "The Fallout" with help of Chad Kroeger was a break out. On the sophomore release they tried to go "solo" and it turned a letdown for the band. Now seems like the guys gave up trying to invent anything of their own apart from successful Nickelback and are trying to have at least a part of their popularity (gave up to the point asking Kroeger to co-write songs). The band calls it a "statement album," but I'm not really sure what they're stating with that... With music sounding most of the time like a lot of other "riff-rocker" bands, Default gets lost in all that "variety." Dallas Smith said the band was reinventing themselves for the album. Well hopefully the current album is not an exponent and the band will be able to move over the stereotypes of power rock and create their own seal. "One Thing Remains" is not gonna change anything either in music world or in your mind, but still it's full of beautiful melodies and is a very nice record to listen to from beginning to the end. // 7

One Thing Remains Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2006

Sound: The Canadian band it's back with their third album, "One Thing Remains", after the big hit "Wasting My Time" all the people have been looking for a similar sound in this band, I think this album have it, and what it has too, it's a heavier sound than the last two albums. Maybe Default would not change the music, but this album it's too great. Jeremy took this time a heavier distortion for the guitar, and the sound is better than the last two albums, the drums and the bass still being the same, but great as always, in the voice, we notice a more mature singer, maybe with not a voice like in "The Fallout" following the influence of Eddie Vedder, but this time Dallas can reach higher notes and has a clean voice now. // 10

Lyrics: Well "The Fallout" and "Elocation" have songs that could be taken to be the soundtrack of your life with songs like: "Deny", "Live A Lie", "Let You Down, "Taking My Life Away" And "All She Wrote" to name a few, but this time Dallas didn't write about love or things like that, he took another way to write, "Count on Me" it's a friendship song, but the doubt is in what was influenced the entire album to be wrote, the lyrics are ok, but this time Default doesn't offer a good lyrics as the last two albums. // 7

Overall Impression: Default tried to do a great album, and they made it, they could write a great album, but what we have to face it's that the people look for Default music thinking they are playing like in "The Fallout" yet, we have to face that the people like more the new wave bands, but this is an album you need to have in your collection, or to listen once in a while. it's a more mature album in every way, lyrics, music, melodies, I'd pick "All Is Forgiven", "It Only Hurts" and "Count On Me" as the best tracks on the album, of course it's my opinion for some people could be better tracks. I think Default delivers with this album, and shows they still here rocking, doing such a great songs. // 10

One Thing Remains Reviewed by: edaround, on september 18, 2006

Sound: well when the hit "Wasting My Time" came out it was a huge success for the band, the band gave an special sound with The Fallout and Elocation, but sometimes bands need to change that sound, 'cause they need or they want to prove how good they are, and this band did it in an awesome way, being influenced by the greatest band ever Led Zeppelin, you can hear a metal distortion in the guitars but it doesn't mean they are metal, a fantastic and more mature voice, and cool drums and bass lines, this time Default changed to play with balls and to set themselves as a Straight Ahead Rock Band. // 10

Lyrics: Well the lyrics are good enough for the album, maybe the lyrics could not have a sense for all the people which seeks for emotive songs or love lyrics, but this time Dallas doesn't focus in love relationships, now it's about the friendship or maybe family, I don't know, but the melody lines set in a amazing way with the guitar riffs. I didn't like the lyrics this time but still write lyrics it's not easy. // 10

Overall Impression: Well Default's third album it's For me the second best album of their career, I love this band even they aren't too known I don't care they rock. I'd pick as the best songs from the album, "The Way We Were" because of the vocals, and drums rhythm, "Count On Me" & "Hiding From The Sun" because that songs are so awesome that makes you want to sing all day long that melodies. Well the third album and they still rock. I hope to see still alive this band, to listen to another album from them, because Default is a band that follows the classic pattern of what rock is, they really rock! // 10

Comments