The Fallout review by Default

• Released: Oct 2, 2001
Default: The Fallout

The first time I heard "Wasting My Time" I really felt "Yeah, I AM wasting my time" This one kinda grew on me though. The riffs are very 90's rock generation (i.e. Creed, Nickelback) but I'd rather compare their sound to some-one like Pearl Jam. Singer Dallas Smith is similar to Vedder in a way, The strong powerful, yet soft when needed vocal harmony. This is demonstrated on "Deny" From a softer opening to a powerful protest Amplifed by the heavy guitars. Most of the songs on the album are very simple, structurally, and musically. Some tracks are a little samey, but the main tracks really do stick out. "Deny" "Wasting My Time" "live A Lie" and "Let you Down" Show the troubles in relationships or personal problems. All in all the sound of the album is impressive from the canadian quartette.

Lyrically I find the album excellent. "Deny" Perfectly advocates the male perspective from a severed relationship. "Sick And Tired" Tackles the idea of compulsive lying, and also being literally Fed up with it all. The albums spearhead "Wasting My Time" Once again explores the realm of relationships broken down. or unanswerd questions in relationships, again excellently exemplified by the lyrical content. My particular favourite lyrically is "Let You Down" it holds a certain significance to me "When you were lost, Who was it that found you?" The line in particular is wonderful. A beautiful moving song, perfectly written. From start to finish it compells the listener (from a personal perspective) into thought, and moves you! In Perspective I think the lyrics hold wonderful personal value if listened to correctly, and are superby orchestrated by the band!

If you were to ask me for an album I listened to in 2002 that sticks in my mind, This... would be it! A superb effort from the NickelBACKED (get it? Chad Kroeger found them... anyway) band. The CD is excellent from start to finish, the songs sound particulary good live too! I'd recommend this album to first time rock listeners... it is a refreshing change from most of the samey "Angry" "Metal" nowadays (only Metallica constitute Metal for me!) Default are a solid band who will have a succesful carrier!