B-Sides & Rarities review by Deftones

• Released: Oct 4, 2005
Deftones: B-Sides & Rarities

It's not your average Deftones sound. Chino's voice sounds a bit different from the studio albums. The sound is quite diverse, ranging from peaceful atmospheric acoustic pieces (Change, Digital Bath, Be Quiet and Drive Far Away), to nicely distorted guitars (Savory, Simple Man), to standard Deftones distortion (Crenshaw Punch, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, Sinatra), to blissfully and strangely atmospheric songs (No Ordinary Love, Wax And Wane, The Chauffeur, If Only Tonight We Could Sleep, Teenager: Idiot Version, Black Moon).

As always, Chino's lyrics are excellent. The cover songs's lyrics are great as well. The vocals fit the music like a glove (Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, Savory, etc). Chino's wails, whines, screams, raps, or whatever the hell he does is alway superb!

This album is way more atmospheric and quite haunting (not in a scary way) compared to their other albums. I love B-Sides because I believe that they allow the fan/listener to dive a little deeper into what the band is really all about. However, I was quite disappointed when I saw that not every rare song was on this compilation. On the back of the CD case it specifically says, "Well here you go. All our videos, moments in time, extra tracks, and your pics." Really? No, not really. All of their videos and other stuff is all good, but the CD is missing a ton of awesome songs. I'm not really asking for a 70 song box of rarities (although that would rule your ass entirely), but it would be nice if they made it a 2 CD/1 DVD set, not just a 1 CD/1 DVD set.