Deftones review by Deftones

• Released: May 20, 2003
Deftones: Deftones

This album is one of the best albums there is in te metal-scene. This is not a normal metal-album like Linkin Park or so, it's original and sounds great. Stephen's guitar sounds really heavy on this album, as he is a great guitarist too. Some people will say: "this is not hard to play, there are no solo's in it", but that's not Deftones! This music is unuiqe. About the songs on the album: from heavy metal with loud screams to emotional metal songs, with beautiful melodies. Stephens plays only seven-strings on this album, so the chords sounds more warm and full. Chino is really a great singer, as he can scream his lungs dead and on other sings beautiful melodies. Bass-player Chi Cheng also screams heavy! I should say: if you like metal, buy this album. This is really one of my favourite metal albums ever, enjoy it.

The lyrics are really godo on this album. From sings where you thnik (strange lyrics) to songs with emotional lyrics, as in 'Minerva', 'Hexagram'. The lyrics on the song 'Lucky You' are really cool (great song). I think the lyrics of 'Battle Axe' are about someone who's dead, and the other one's not strange. The song #6 'When Girls Telephone Boys' is one of the best. Ever. Really. First I thought: to much screams and to heavy, but when you listen to it much you really giong to live with it. You have to listen to the lyrics, I almost have to shit when I hear Chino screaming. "Yeah if you like that we can ride on a Black Horse, a new wave Hesperian Death Horse." That sentence is so cool.

This is the best Deftones album and one of the best albums ever made. Look at the cover: the Roses stand for the beatiful lyrics and melodies on the album, and the skull stands for the heavy riffs and loud screams. Buy it.