Diamond Eyes review by Deftones

• Released: May 4, 2010
Deftones: Diamond Eyes

The album starts off with the track "Diamond Eyes", and from an air woosh sound it blasts into a crushing yet simple mid tempo guitar riff with Chino's voice beautifully singing "To the Edge...". At first listen, it already feels like the Deftones have returned with their sound so many have loved for years, but also putting a new twist on it. That is exactly what this album has done. If you have been a Deftones fan beyond the "Adrenaline" album, then you should be familiar with their experimentation on the last 4 studio albums. They do not disappoint with "Diamond Eyes". It is a combination of all their previous work, combining fantastic drum tracks with heavy explosive guitars and even though Chi Cheng has been in a coma, Sergio Vega filling in on bass has provided some exceptional bass lines as well. The 2 things that really stand out on this album are of course singer Chino Moreno's vocals, as well as the different sounds coming from Frank Delgado's section. Chino's always had an amazing voice from his powerful vocal performances to whispering falsettos and the guttural screams. On "Diamond Eyes", his vocals shine in songs like "You've Seen the Butcher" "Rocket Skates" and "Risk", where he sings in a style that hasn't shown up on previous efforts. Songs like "Diamond Eyes" and "Sextape" showcase his powerful vocals similar to songs like "Minerva" and "Change". Each song is flawless in the vocal department, and is hard to establish a favorite. Frank's use of synthesizers in this album is also new, different, and refreshing. Very low in the mix but blended in still that it stands out and adds a flavor to the songs making them even more unique. Moments like the bridge in "Rocket Skates" and the subtle echoed notes in the verses of "Risk" add so much to the elements of the songs. For those who are fans of the heavier side of Deftones, "CMND/CTRL" and "Rocket Skates" deliver. As well as the bridge in "Prince", in which Chino's screams swirl up an array of emotions. The Deftones sound has evolved over the years, but in a positive way making this a stand out out album to be heard and remembered.

The lyrics on "Diamond Eyes" paint a picture hard to pin point. Chino stated in an interview "I don't like listening to people's problems -- I like music. Music has been smothered with that complaining since the early-'90s. It gets old. Instead of going to the opposite side of the spectrum and listening to Black Eyed Peas, which is just straight silly, I choose to listen to more instrumental music. I do very little singing about myself on this record. I love songs where I can totally take myself out of being human. I can sing about really odd things, and they don't necessarily have to pertain to me at all. It paints a picture. Those are the kind of lyrics I grew up with -- like The Cure. Really visual images and no storytelling." Visual is a great way to explain them. With lines like "..Diamonds reign across the sky, Shower me into the same, Realm.." from the title track "Diamond Eyes", a visual image is applied. An interesting use of words in the chorus of the song "Prince" is also shown in the lyrics "The mindset of a killer / With your gaze you paint the room, Blood red with tears born from the stage". It is difficult to define them, and is suggested that you take a chance to read over them yourself to get the full meaning to you. Overall, I am very impressed with the lyrics on this album. Beautiful, cryptic, and visual.

If you are a fan of every Deftones album to date, you will love Diamond Eyes. It has the raw feelings of "Around the Fur" and "Adrenaline" with the melodic nature of "White Pony" and "Deftones (Self titled album" and the experimentation of "Saturday Night Wrist". Even fan of Chino's side project "Team Sleep" can appreciate "Diamond Eyes", with songs like "Beauty school", "Sextape" and "967-Evil" which are examples of Chino's familiar writing style. I got this album over a month ago from a leaked copy, and still drove 45 minutes to buy it on the 4th because I am that impressed with it. It stays on repeat and I cannot get sick of it. My favorite tracks are "Risk" and "CMND/CTRL", but really, it is hard to pick a favorite. The album as a whole is excellent. I cannot pick one ghing about I do not like. Maybe the same will go for you. Worth a full listen, and with each listen, more layers unfold and more appreciation for a great album by the Deftones.

AboutDetH
    Deftones are the reason I picked up guitar.. Ah all thoses wasted hours playing my own summer.. AWSOME ALBUM: apparently if a million copies are sold Chi will wake up
    efferus
    masteryan wrote: My ears were honestly bleeding upon listening to this. Needless to say, I have deleted the torrent files.
    Aren't you a cute little troll. Run along and play now. *Pats you on the head* Fantastic album. Full of character and soul. Deftones really nailed it with this one.
    Cafas
    Awesome album. I have no idea why anyone is bothering to get into them at this point or what they'd expect from a band like Deftones, but it's another solid album from one of the best bands in mainstream rock today.
    btones
    great ****ing album, it's pretty much the Deftones sound refined and perfected.
    Tedward
    HavokStrife wrote: This is not only my new favorite Deftones CD, but my favorite CD put out in a loooong time! I can't believe how good this is, and how they really got their traditional sound back, and even got a little more heavy and off-time for good measure! In an absolute stale time for music, for this gem to surface, it's really hard to believe. It's also really hard to believe anyone that says they have a problem with the CD, when they're a Deftones fan. Someone on this said their eyes bled?! Really!? Really!?!? Just go shut up and listen to Saturday Night Wrist then, hell, you can have my copy.
    send it to me, SNW is ****ing amazing.
    yukonchuck06
    Madhatter1986
    I downloaded some of the album, and it definetley is heavier. I love how Deftones is a band that always stays true to there sound but is constantly evolving each album they come out with. PEACE AND LOVE!!!
    pangy
    masteryan : My ears were honestly bleeding upon listening to this. Needless to say, I have deleted the torrent files. tang ina, obvious na pinoy ka... lol
    sutchy
    I love this. It's their best since Around the Fur, in my opinion. Maybe just a little bit better than White Pony, but I can see why some would like White Pony more.
    iH8CarAccidents
    A UFC reference in an UG review? Awesome. Haha. Album is good stuff too by the way. Maybe not a 9, but I dig it.
    HavokStrife
    chocolateTeddy
    the album in my opinion was great not a 10/10 or anything like that but it was beautiful to see a band liek this come back and NOT SUCK! infact sound very hard. i was amazed when i first heard Rocketskates on how heavy it was. truthfully i have to agree with some posters who can't pin point what some of the songs are about. i think this is the most metaphoric writting i have heard in ages lol. still trying to paint the over all picture of RocketSkates lol good reviews guys
    Gotham76
    I f@cking love this record. I'm glad they got their "experimental, all over the place" records out of their systems (though I love though records too...what's with dissing Sat. Night Wrist? Great record!) and got back to what drew me in in the first place, heavy melodies wrapped around dark and beautiful lyrics. Nicely done, boys. Keep it up! http://www.Oneloveforchi.com
    Gotham76
    yukonchuck06 wrote: My wife is definitely the biggest DEFTONES fan out of any of you and she threw the album at me after she heard it, because I got it for her. AND I QUOTE HER "THIS IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF SHIT ALBUM THEY HAVE EVER DONE, I HATE YOU,AND I HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL!" Thanks Chino.
    I wasn't real happy with it the first few times through either, but it grew on me. It took time for the album to "take". At the risk of landing you further in the doghuse, have her give it another shot.
    thebigal
    HukedAnFonix
    I think this is a pretty solid album. One of the best ones I've heard in a long time. I give it a 9 out of 10. Am I the only one who is reminded of the O RLY YA RLY owls when I look at the album cover though?
    aliceinnirvana
    Saturday Night Wrist was out of this world; my favorite of their collection. I think this one is solid but a bit of a disappointment after the creativity peak with SNW.
    normaljeans
    I really hope Chi wakes up. I feel like some of Chino's lyrics are directed towards Chi's comatose state (976-evil especially). I also think this is their best album since White Pony
    Slaytan666
    thebigal wrote: There is no way this album is almost a 10. I have loved Deftones ever since adrenaline. I agree with others at best this album is a 7. There are some really solid tracks, with some fillers. Not as good as White Pony, Around the fur. I think the rating system is very misleading, no use voting on the album if you are a die hard fan who will rate the album highly no matter how good or bad it is. A bit like 10,000 days from Tool, that rated so highly but overall was a huge disapoitment.
    I fully agree. Still a great album, though.
    savioi
    album is - meh... sound to much like meshuggah. I wat the ol' deftones!!
    Tarsplitter
    Man, no offense to the fans but I hated it. I had massive headache after listenin' to this. Blahh.
    jtalep
    This album is a 7 at best, a solid attempt, but a bit boring, the title track is the only one I found I wanted to listen to again.
    thethomasjobe
    Hey to those of you who just recently jumped on the Deftones bandwagon, you should check out Adrenaline and Around the fur before considering this heavy.
    dawoodman619
    OMO this is their best album yet, and it definitely made me sure that Deftones is still one of my favorite bands. i cant wait to hear Eros. get better Chi!
    00Judge00
    HAHA! Deftones RULE!! Didnt notice it before, there is a heavy influence of Meshuggah in Stephs playing esp on songs like CMND/CTRL and You've Seen The Butcher. Chinos vocals are still flawless, with heavy influence from Maynard of Tool. Which isnt suprising since they have collaborated, played and toured together for the past two decades. Awesome album tones! Get Well Chi!
    roosterfx1
    serves you right
    rg_metal
    I used to listen to deftones here and there... and recently before the album came out I would listen to them alot... now I really like listening to them... amazing stuff.. you can hear some of Meshuggah's influence in Stephen Carpenter's playing for sure
    imsimon
    Why would you even use torrents anyway? What a tool. This album is my favourite of all Deftones albums, not the best, but my favourite
    Zell182
    I'd give this album 6/10 or maybe 7/10 if I was being generous. Only the singles and Sextape standout for me, even after multiple listens.
    Patrijz
    Abacus11
    Good reviews and very good album. I've been a fan since Adrenaline and I think this is the best record they've done since White Pony (the last couple seemed kind of blah). I'm really not even into heavy music anymore but there's enough melody and depth to make this a good listen. It's nice to hear a band that I loved 15 years ago still making quality music.
    sbriggs31
    Yeah what is this "album is boring" stuff...this album is awesome i love it and its def. their best since white pony. Its heavy, aggressive but has melody at the same time, as well as the album is cohesive and doesnt stray far from the roots. Saturday night wrist was awful because they were all over the place with their songs and it wasn't that heavy at all. I think this album is deftones at their finest.
    Lackesse
    [quote]Patrijz wrote: I thought it was quite boring... but then again, I'm kinda new to Deftones (missed them completely in the nu-metal era, just heard couple of old songs, which I didn't like). Guess it's just not meant for me...[/same for me,dude..]
    Dudeman5000
    I love the band, an I think this is a great album, but does anyone else think that the riffs are kinda low-end overkill? Instead of being creative, Steph just said "Look how low my guitar can sound!"