Koi No Yokan review by Deftones

• Released: Jan 1, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Deftones: Koi No Yokan

"Koi No Yokan" is, essentially, a hybrid of "Saturday Night Wrist" and "Diamond Eyes" and it does not disappoint. Very rarely when I listen to a new album does it blow me away. Only a select few from my memory have ever made me as giddy as a school girl on the first listen. This is one of them, upon the first listen I knew all the songs, some of the lyrics, and I was blown away. The opener, "Swerve City", has blaring, heavy instrumentals mixed with Chino's soft crooning. The two work perfectly together, and it doesn't hurt that the melody is catchy as Hell. This track also features something similar to a guitar solo, which is rare in Deftones' music. Deftones has their own original sound down to a T. The key their sound always has been and always will be the battle between loud and quiet, soft and heavy, delicate and making your soul hurt.

"Romantic Dreams" has a waltz vibe to it, which switches into a groove and a more relaxed chorus. The song is a monster, and has a very ethereal quality. The first single, "Leathers", opens with an ambient, peaceful intro, which is shattered in seconds by Chino's screams and the crushing guitar riffs. "Poltergeist" has an old school Deftones vibe, fused with their new sound. It's the shortest track on the album but it's abrasive, memorable, and a definite stand out. "Entombed" is reminiscent of a Crosses/Deftones hybrid, and is without a doubt one of the best songs on this record. The lyrics are fantastic and the song is very emotional. "Graphic Nature" is the least memorable song on this record. I find myself forgetting what it sounds like, yet once I listen to it, I find myself singing along and grooving along to it as much as the other songs. "Tempest" seems to have more of a mainstream metal sound that singles tend to have, making it less appealing to me (although it loses most of that in the context of the album). It's with out a doubt great and is catchy as hell, and emotional. The lyrics are great - like most of Deftones' work - and the perfect choice for a single. "Gauze" is odd, in that when I first listened to it, the vocal melodies in the verses bothered me. There was just something in the way that were sung that didn't seem to fit, but after repeated listens it's grown on me. The chorus is killer as well. The next two tracks are the peak of the album. "Rosemary" and "Goon Squad" are easily the two best tracks, "Rosemary" being slower and droning while "Goon Squad" is more aggressive. The two segue into each other seamlessly via an ambient interlude that encompasses the tone of both songs into one. The closer "What Happened To You" is probably my least favourite track. It's great, but it doesn't hit me as hard as all the others. It's softer and more melodic, but there isn't much to the song. It's simple, but the section where Chino sings: "The sky is falling down The night is calling you A star is burning out The sky belongs to you" Makes the song so much more enjoyable. It's a very satisfying conclusion to the album but could have been much better.

This is a fantastic record and one of Deftones' best to date. The only real downside to this album is that the band hasn't really introduced any new elements to their music. It's basically a mixture of "Diamond Eyes" and "Saturday Night Wrist". Although that's not a band thing it would have been nice to see what new innovations to their sound they had made. I'm extremely looking forward to the band's next album, and to the recuperation of bassist Chi Cheng. Seriously, buy this record. It's worth the money.

Absolute Rock-O
    This CD never left my car since I bought it in November 2012. It's pure magic. Perfect to listen to on the road at 3 A.M.
    Absolute Rock-O
    Inglig909
    Hands down my favorite album of the year, completely surpassed my expectations of Deftones. Even after all these years they can make something so beautiful and amazing