Saturday Night Wrist review by Deftones

• Released: Oct 30, 2006
Deftones: Saturday Night Wrist

The sound of this album is classic deftones. The heavy down-tuned 7 string guitars are all there. The first single, Hole in the Earth contains the moans and forlorn calls that made Chino famous. Rapture is a classic example of the sound that also made the Deftones famous. It reminds me of around the fur a bit, although not as sadistic. Rats, Rats, Rats is another great example. However there is a definite difference in the musical elements the Deftones utilize. A song like Pink Cellphone is a prime example. I wouldn't call it complete 'straying from the path,' although The previous deftones album did not have anything as experimental. Annie Hardie is featured on this song, so that too give it an erie techno-ish quality. Not one of my favorites. For classic deftones sound choose, Rats, rats, Rats, Beware, Hole in the earth, and Cherry waves. Also I'd like to add that the instrumental is organized very well (U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, A, B, Select, Start) I enjoyed that portion of experimenting.

The lyrics are stunning Chino and the gang write very nicely. It can be hard to hear the man sometimes, however the CD booklet comes with lyrics so you won't be left in the dark. I enjoy how the lyrics fit in with the songs Beware, cherry waves, and Hole in the earth, the most. Mein is good too. Pink Cellphone becomes repetitive.

Compared to other deftones albums it's alright. I personally enjoyed the self-titled album and white pony a whole lot better. However this is not to say this isnt a good album. It just has less of what a person who fell in love with the Deftones' White Pony is in to. I would not buy this CD if it was stolen. Instead I'd buy the songs I enjoyed directly from itunes or another legal music progam. The most Impressive Songs are: Hole in the Earth, Mein, Rats Rats Rats, Rapture, Beware, and Cherry Waves. On occasion I enjoy Xerces as well.

theduke92
    Rolo wrote: Oh for ****s sake, Deftones are not Screamo!!!! my god, they were around way before emo and screamo as defined by what they are, they should not be put in that category its insulting to them...they're roots are hardcore, and when they came out they could be classed as Neo-Hardcore, but got grouped in the nu metal genre as Around The Fur did branch into that style but they have never been one genre and always develop their sound, they're unique, and awesome, and as a Deftones fan from the beginning i felt i had to say something on the screamo comment. Don't write a review if you don't know what your talking about..dick
    I was under the impression they were Deftones. Apparently I was wrong. Don't label.
    wpsport23
    Does anyone else realize how tight the instrumental is!! Man that is sweet song! Perfect placement as well by the band in the album.
    S2S
    I'm all for some "U,U,D,D,L,R,L,R,A,B,SELE CT,START" love.