Saturday Night Wrist review by Deftones

• Released: Oct 30, 2006
Deftones: Saturday Night Wrist

The sound for this album is a lot different from everything else that they've done so far. It's a lighter metal but still has the same 'deftones' feel to it. Stephen Carpenter also has a 4 minute instrumental track on the album titled "U, U, D, D, L, R, L, R, A, B, Select, Start". The song is named after a code for a sega video game, so claims Carpenter. it's probably the lightest half of the album, alongside the final track 'Riviere'. For the song 'Mein', Chino Moreno (vocals) is accompanied by Serj Tankian of System Of A Down. Overall the album, for me, is probably one of the deftones highest accomplishments.

The lyrics were a lot more focused on the state of the world, as opposed to Morenos personal demons or his boredom. This album's vocals had more soft spoken verses than shouted statements, unlike most of the other albums. It toned down the metal side of it, but it was equally done well.

The album itself was not recognized nearly as much as it should have been by metal fans or writers, and was nearly forgotten after the ad's were taken down. This is the Deftones final album, so they claim, so if you have not heard this album, go out and pick up a copy. If you don't like it, give it away to someone. don't ruin this work of art.

gazzaday
    I was dissapointed with the new album at first, I also thought it lacked any singles. But I've come to realise it isn't about that with the deftones. Sure, we all enjoy how catchy the 'My Own Summer' riff is, but I've grown to appriciate Chino's beautiful poetic lyrics and the complex song structures. P.S. Why does it seem like everyone is against the self titled album? It was the first Deftones album I heard and it's still my firm favourite now after hearing the entire back catalogue a hundred times over! I mean, Bloody Cape for god's sake! Amazing!
    metalkookie
    Definitely one of the best albums I bought. It kept me entertained. I like the sounds they bring to their music, although somewhat different from some of their previous work.. But the lyrics were awesome. I especially liked the lyrics to "Mein".