Saturday Night Wrist review by Deftones

• Released: Oct 30, 2006
Deftones: Saturday Night Wrist

It was three long years since the Deftones released an album, and boy have they come back with a bang. The sound is huge and at time can be crushing. From the opener "Hole in the Earth" to the closer "Riviere" ("Drive" if you got the disc with the bonus track), the album is a roller coaster of a ride. At first spin I had a hard time accepting this as Deftones simply because they have gone in a whole new direction. The sound swings from beautiful, immense tracks such as "Cherry Waves" and "Xerces" to bonecrushing tracks like "Rats, Rats, Rats!" and "Rapture". The way the guitars, bass, drums, and vocals blend together has sent chills up my spine, and at times the sound can be frightening.

The lyrics are nothing short of cyptic. Chino's talent of being able to write deep, emotional lyrics and then carrying them out in his singing ability is clearly brought out in this album. The lyrics and vocals blend extremely well with the music. At times Mr. Moreno is singing with lighter instrumental sound, and screaming visciously at the top of his lungs while the instrumental sound are devasting.

While clearly not "White Pony", this album is the second best album the Deftones have recorded thus far. The most notable tracks on this disc are "Rats, Rats, Rats!", "Cherry Waves", "Rapture", and "KimDracula". The thing I love most about this album is the fact that it sounds nothing like anything else you can buy, no one can touch the Deftones. The thing I hate most about this or any album are contributing artists. The Deftones have the skill and talent to pretty much not even need help from someone else, unless they have Dino Cazares or Marilyn Manson join in on the fun. Oh, and if this disc were lost, stolen, and/or broken, I will definetly buy it again.

emagdnimasisiht
    I bought this album the day it was released into stores. Great album, I have always loved the bands work.