White Pony review by Deftones

• Released: May 16, 2000
Deftones: White Pony

Deftones are a very skilled band, with a unique style. Most alternative music of today is easy sorted in to some short of sub-genre. But Deftones has there own genre, and the only band that really even comes close is Tool. The Deftones are hard rockers, and their singer is truly gifted. Some of the highs he gets on the break down of "Knife Party" of this album are insane! The guitars on this CD are very heavy, but have enough highs to keep them from blending too much with the bass. The drummer is great at playing unique riffs that you wouldn't expect, and that are surprisingly difficult to remake. For something finally different, or if you are a tool fan, look in to Deftones, and look in to Pony.

The singer is amazing. He has a huge range, from lows to bitting highs. Their lyrics are mysterious, right along with their music. There is surprisingly little cursing, if any.

This is one of my favorite CDs. That is saying alot, because this kind of music does not traditionally fit my style. But the Deftones captivate me everytime I listen. This CD is always on hand for me. I love "Knife Party" for it's vocal break down, "Digital Bath" for it's drums and "Mini Maggot" for a great name (the song is also a catchy, yet roaring song). This is a wonderful CD, I would keep buying it no matter how many times it was stolen.

feesk8ordie
    Quote breakdancer4jah: "...their singer is truly gifted. Some of the highs he gets on the break down of "Knife Party" of this album are insane!" Dude, I think that's a woman. If you check the credits, someone else is given credit for "Additional vocals on Knife Party" i assume that's it. Anyway this is a great album. Different to Deftones' other stuff, probably not as heavy as Adrenaline or ATF, but more experimentla, and musically, more depth