White Pony review by Deftones

• Released: May 16, 2000
Deftones: White Pony

The Deftones have been known to have their own unique sound, which is quite evident in this album. Their style usually doesnt't stray too far from the hard/alternative rock genre. This record, however, has so many different genre elements in it's creation that it literally covers all ground. Melodic, metal, alternative, grunge, progressive, and ambient. This album is a masterpiece! I listen to a broad spectrum of genres and artists, but this album may be one of the most amazing albums I have ever come across. The music will go from upbeat to mellow and soft to thrash to an ambient setting and then into progressive. It's like a dream that seems to meld together.

To be completely honest, I'm not entirely sure of the lyrical content. It's very poetic but difficult to understand. Although the singer may not have the greatest range, his voice is extremely soothing, which tends to make this album more dreamlike. There is a guest appearance by Maynard James Keenan of Tool on the track Passenger. The duet performance on that song is amazing. You can truly feel the connection between the two vocalists, especially with the vocal power of MJK. The vocals tend to be different on each track, but still retain that soothing character, even during the heavier songs.

This album cannot possibly compared to other albums, nor should the band be compared to other artists. The Deftones have definetly created their style with this album, which surprisingly, is to not have a specific style at all. There isn't a single song on this album that I wouldn't listen to. Every song is amazing, this album is amazing! I was not really a fan of the Deftones when I bought this album. If this were stolen, I hope the thief enjoys the album, I'll just go buy another copy. This may be the greatest album I have ever listened to!

zeroterminus
    to beakdaner4jah, kan i steal ur cd! i pesonally am not into bands like this but i make an exception for the deftones, they are down for their music
    dabonehead182
    how can you say they're emo. they've been around since like the early 90's way before that emo scene hit in the early 00's.