Scars Of The Crucifix review by Deicide

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
Deicide: Scars Of The Crucifix

When I first listened through this album I nearly cried. This album contains some of the catchiest Death Metal themes in the history of the genre. Although sometimes all you may hear is 'blah badee blah blah blah' being grunted at 100mph, it's said in such a catchy way that you just don't care. The sound is very raw, which is great for a death metal album, and the production is great, though doesn't sound so polished to annoy death metal fans. The album was in fact recorded line for line seperately in the fast parts, which shows the hard work Deicide put into this album, but it does come out as over the top. The sound is perfect.

What can I say. Every deicide song deals with hatred of God, and this is no different. If your a strong religious person, then this is definently not for your, unless your a satanist. If you couldn't care less however, then this album has some lyrics that are fun to read through. It suprises me how many different words Glen Benton uses to get across his hate for christianity. This may get boring to people who find lyrics to be the most important part of songs.

A great album. I beleive it could easily turn into a legendary album to the people that own it. From the blistering intro of Scars Of The Crucifix to the eeie, yet mystically beautiful piano at the end of The Pentecostal the album is a brutal and catchy portrayal of Deicide's catchy satanism. The only other Deicide album I own is Legion, which is also great, and this album builds on what Deicide had back then alot. This album has also inspired me to continue buying Deicide albums. The only downfall is that if songs are not looked into properly, the albums appears repetitive, for example, I cannot stand the songs Enchanted Nightmare, because all I get out of it is a lot of noise and then a great solo. If you don't like death metal, then this is not for you. However if your're a whore of satan, this album will fit extremely well into your collection of albums.

godrestthyweary
    chimairakid
    AHAHAHAH slipknot are crap pal. joey is the only member with real talent i mean sure the others can play but they dont stand out. they write mediocore songs and appeal mostly to younger people who just havent thought bout tracing the heratage of metal to the 80's greats like exodus and annihilator. long live thrash. and death
    jwb89
    The quality of the album sounds like shit in some songs. Other than that a very good Death Metal album.
    AvngdSvnfold
    ahah "very brutal death metal, but i like slipknot better," hahahaha
    hahaha... the only thing funnier is how they classify Deicide as "rock"
    uspsteve
    South-of-Heaven
    godrestthyweary wrote: no...just no... deicide should not be compared to Slipknot. It's just no contest. You can't compare Death Metal to Slipknot... you just shouldn't do that.
    Yeh I agree. Does he even have the album? Or has he even heard any deicide? or death metal for that matter. And what a shit review, its all like 'Brutal! Brutal! Brutaaallll!!!', like, **** sake, learn some different words. It's also very random the way he says 'Its worth buying if youre not a christian or some shit like that.' and then just comes out with 'Im 14 and playing in a band called DraKula.' and whats the stupid foreign stuff at the end? go to school numbnuts.
    johnnyj2
    nu metal and death metal should never be compared ever again. to start nu metal is barley even metal, and any band that needs 9 people in it to sound barely decent isn't uausally a good thing. joey is the only one holding the band up.
    dead_by_dawn
    deicide is got to be the best band in the world slipnot=shit, Deicide is Balla I like their old albums beter but this one has beter guitar solos
    {Haggard}
    oh yeah. very "brutal" only the most hardcore satanists can handle deicide. okay dude. more like only the most hardcore sewer rats. stuff like this makes me want to crucify myself in my neighbors yard.
    el_guitarrist
    the guy who wrote the third review is a musical newbie...is an person who only listen to this modern things like korn or slipknot and think this is the best thing in the world...damn newbies
    slayerofsouls
    Wow someone with a big enough set of stones to compare Slipknot to a TRUE Death Metal band. I give you props on having a set of brass balls and i sincerely hope that Glen doesn't suddenly emerge from the Florida swamps to tackle your ass.
    slayerofsouls
    uspsteve wrote: Deicide covers up their lack of musical ability with satanic imagery and lyrics. Problem is, the fools don't know what they're messing with. They might think it's cool now, but it certainly isn't in the long run. You folks that think Deicide is a good band, well you are very easily satisfied.
    Wow you really feel that the ability to play drums at around 240bpm for an entire song doesn't constitute excellent musicianship? I'd love to hear some of the obviously godlike musicians that you listen to.
    mafoogles
    deicide is not the worlds most technical band. and they defintaley do not have the most talented vocalist in the world. but what they have done with all of they're " not the best in the world"ness is made a bunch off kickass, straight forward, no frills death metal that kicks you in the ass over and over again but never gets boring. and to all the people who don't understand that, shut up noone gives a shit about your opinion
    PANfukinTERA
    in my opinion, they have the best vocalist in death metal...yes, even better than corpsegrinder.... Scars' is a good cd... but nothing compared to SERPENTS OF THE LIGHT..(the holy grail of death metal albums) all hail deicide
    blinky67
    Great Album For Death Metal Guitar. . . Overall, I prefer Stench. DEICIDE Dublin June 29! SEE Ya'll There!