Serpents Of The Light review by Deicide

• Released: Oct 21, 1997
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Deicide: Serpents Of The Light

Well, Deicide obviously went to an effort to make this a very kickass record in terms of greatness, the guitars have a distinct tone on this record so that you can actually tell who it is, also, the music is very together and obviously thought out, with titles such as Serpents Of The Light and Slave To The Cross, you can tell they didn't half ass it on this one. Not to much to say about how the CD was made but taken from wikipedia in an interview with Glenn "I wrote "Serpents of the Light" about a friend of mine that died." What I actually want to talk a bit about is the tone of the guitars and the drumming, the guitar tone of this album has a distinct 'drrrrrrrrr' sound so it, kind of like a brutal drill, drilling your head at 200 beats per minute, and sound's a lot different from their later releases so as soon as someone puts on one of the tracks you can tell, '' oh hey that's from serpents isn't it? '' The drumming isn't to complicated which in my opinion is a great thing as you don't feel that you have a great mess of sound being thrown at you, it is clean and well thought out and makes for an awesome, brutal experience.

The lyrics on this album are Satanic and religious ridden, with tracks like Blame It On God, Bastard Of Christ and This Is Hell Were In. I'd like to point out that Glenns voice blends very well with the music, as in to say that the rhythms of the guitar and drums match the tempo of Glenns voice which makes it easier to follow. Glenn is, to my suprise not to hard to understand on this record, he has the death metal growl happening, and has it well I might add, but if you listen you can still understand what he is rambling about.

This to my knowledge does not compare to any other artists but perhaps because I think Deicide is a very distinct band and when you here them you can tell it is them. The best songs from this album, in my opinion of course are Slave To The Cross, I Am No One, Blame It On God and This Is Hell Were In. If this was stolen or lost I would get it off the net because I did not purchase it in CD form. To wrap things up, this is a great but not to great album to be honest, the solos could have been a lot better but could also be a lot worse so that is that. If you have the spare cash I definitely condone picking up a copy.

shreddykrueger
    I thought it was well written.. It doesn't seem too biased and you covered an album hardly anyone ever mentions, and talk about things such as tone being able to tell what album a song is off of from a first listen. This was a good read. And a good album.
    metallifreak77
    album is not a Deicide great, but solid nonetheless. I liked this review, more "laid-back" haha especially for a review of a death metal record!
    BlackSymphony6
    covering your bases eh?
    RUSTDOGG666
    hell yeah classic decide. but kinda late on writing a review on it bud the album came out in 1997. how about a review on their current shit? kick ass album though I still listen to it every now and then.
    zapatista89
    i stopped reading there due to how precise, detailed and balanced this statement is.....
    S.D.M.F.
    shut up moron. good review, might check the album out now