Serpents Of The Light review by Deicide

• Released: Oct 21, 1997
Deicide: Serpents Of The Light

The first thing that I noticed when I checked out this album was that it sounded quite different from the first three albums. It has a much more crisp and clear sound (which some fans might not like, but I personally thought it gave it some character). I never once had trouble making out the guitar riffs as I did at times in the previous albums. Aside from the sound quality itself, the riffs were as brutal as ever. Not only do they tear your face off, but they're memorable and actually kind of catchy. The drumming is as good as ever too, and you can make out every hit of the bass drum (which I always love). Not quite like the originals, but that's not a bad thing in this case.

The lyrics on this album aren't necessarily anything new and deals with religion in a hateful fashion, but what else can honestly expect from a band like Deicide, where the very name means the killing of a god? You would think that after three albums of nearly pure blasphemy that it might get a little played out, but they somehow make it work. Not only do the lyrics really take a swing at religion, but the vocals convey pure anger. And unlike any other Deicide album I've heard, I can easily make out every word that Glen Benton is saying. However, this does not mean that they are any less powerful. My personal favorite vocal performance from Benton.

I think this album gets a really bad reputation. Sure, it doesn't quite match the magic of the first couple albums, but when does that ever happen? Serpents of the Light manages to preserve Deicide's roots, but also brings something new and stands out from the other albums. If you haven't heard this album, go into with an open mind. Don't expect another "Legion", but don't go into it thinking it's going to suck. My personal favorites off this album are "Bastard Of Christ", "Blame It On God", and the "Truth Above". If this album were stolen or lost, I would definitely replace it. It's refined, yet still heavy as brutal death metal should be.

YouTube preview picture