The Stench of Redemption review by Deicide

• Released: Aug 22, 2006
Deicide: The Stench of Redemption

Straight from the first track, 'The Stench Of Redemption', you can tell Deicide have not held back. The sound is brutal yet melodic, and the solo sections fuse perfectly with the death metal vocals and riffs. Some of the solos, like 'Death To Jesus' and 'Homage For Satan' are almost perfect. As far as death metal goes, it's insanely catchy and some of the choruses, like 'Crucified For The Innocence', will stick in your head for hours. The blast beats are just as you'd expect them to be: fast, topping off the death metal sound.

If your name is Satan, you will love the lyrics, it's the usual Deicide anti-christ, God hating stuff. However, some of the lyrics are catchy, "Mutilation, hail to Satan, died to save us, death to Jesus!" and will have even a vicar shouting it during church service (or maybe not). Glen Benton's vocals are some of the finest death metal vocals around, you can understand most of the lyrics (well more than you would with some bands) and the chilling screams along with the low growls fit perfectly for a heavy sound.

Deicide aren't my favourite death metal band, but they obviously have something with this album. The solos are immense and some of the riffs are instant favourites. The crushing vocals paired with the mental drums, as well as the clean riffs in 'The Lord's Sedition' round it off as one of the best death metal albums I own. It is well balanced all round, melodic solos, brutal riffage, satanic lyrics and clean guitar, if you don't own this you should by it now. On the other hand, the bass is barely loud enough to hear, and a few bass solos hear and there wouldn't go amiss. I would definitely by this album again and again, it's got to be in my top ten albums. If you're into metal/death metal I'd definitely recommend it, but it might not be technical enough for some people out there, but it's not exactly simple. The only reason you wouldn't buy this is if you were Jesus himself.

IC300_Toxicity
    yeah man definetly in my top 3 deicide albums. along with eicide (1990) and Scars Of The Crucifix (2004)
    Plus_the_Bear
    Scars' was my favorite album. I didn't like this one from the songs I've heard. I do agree with the part where he sayd Deicide isn't my favorite death metal band. Lots of other dm bands>Deicide. I miss the Hoffman bros.
    King ofKumbucha
    belialonmyback
    el_guitarrist
    i think the guitar riffs lost their complexity with the replacement of guitarrists...Hoffman bros. are better guitarrists then Ralph Santolla and Jack Owen
    slayerofsouls
    belialonmyback wrote: This is a very solid album. I prefer the first four albums to this, but overall it has to rival Legion as their best album to date.
    I totally agree!
    trivium036
    King ofKumbucha wrote: Not my favorite Death Metal band but this imo is their best album. Amazing leads, almost Maidenesque. Kill (Cannibal Corpse) blows it away though.
    No way, Stench > Kill Kill has like 3 good songs, and the solos on stench are ****ing amazing.