Till Death Do Us Part review by Deicide

• Released: May 13, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
Deicide: Till Death Do Us Part

Two years ago, when people started saying things like 'return to form' about Deicide, I was a bit confused and so checked out the Stench Of Redemption. On Soulseek, I and a few others had taken a Limp Bizkit album and renamed it, advertising it as the new Deicide, but I hadn't actually heard it. Needless to say, when I did hear it I was disappointed and I think that moment truly awoke me to how retarded most modern death metal fans are. Anyway, I downloaded the latest, Till Death Do Us Part and unsurprisingly it is weak as piss, uninspired drivel that is a good 17 years behind it's time. Paraphrasing everything that could be wrong with death metal (with the exclusion of brutal and technical death metal) in one album, Deicide manage only to produce derivative, boring crap that no doubt the 'been-into-death-metal-for-2-weeks' wannabe-evil modern Deicide fans will lap up and compare to their older stuff (of which they've only heard 'Sacrificial Suicide' for 30 seconds through one faulty earphone).

You can't praise Glen Benton's vocals: it's impossible. Throughout Deicide's career he's never conjured up images of Satan or dying angels, only of Down Syndrome sufferers and angry gorillas. While this vocal approach could be overlooked in the past in favour of the music, ever since Insineratehymn was put out the listener has been forced to pay attention to Benton's singing because the music itself has been so painful. And that, ladies (do women actually listen to Deicide) and gentelemen is the exact moment and way that Deicide went to complete shit. Don't expect any improvement in the vocals or lyrics department.

Morbid Angel reinvented themselves. Death changed their style completely. Failing to take advice from the other two, the third big Floridan death metal act decided to continue their style and before long they made the stupid mistake of relying solely on their gimmicky image once they ran out of riffs in 1998. Forcing most newcomes to the genre to almost completely write off Satanic death metal as a whole, Deicide pollute the scene, demean themselves and are the exact reason that death metal is laughed at by the mainstream. I know that the release of this was like Christmas for a lot of people and Deicide just filled their stockings with coal. They aren't helped out at all by their semi-evolved frontman singing like a downer and claiming to see bigfoot. If he had any intelligence whatsoever he'd realise how moronic he was but then again, if he had any intelligence at all we wouldn't have heard from Deicide since 1997.

polaris1483
    How this junk review made it to the front page, I'll never know. MHDrunk obviously has a hatred for Deicide and had to make a review because nobody else would listen to his complaints. I most certainly won't be paying any attention to his future reviews if they're as biased and pathetic as this. Nice try.
    AvengedThrice
    Ridiculous review. You obviously have something against Deicide, though I agree that old Deicide > New Deicide. Plese remove this review.
    BlackSymphony6
    u are a moron and a fool. you speak out of ur backside
    BlackSymphony6
    Shread_6009 : **** the whole death metal genre, theyre just guys that cant sing or really play like yngwie malmsteen or make decent riffs, so they try ripping of black sabbaths lyric, exept more extreme with no originality. maybe some guys like nile, Bodom and opeth are really good, but after that... .also there is no real thing as satan worship, satanist comes from a word the translates into scientist, all demon worship is a lie from the church. the singer should just stop now that hes 40 and burned crosses into his skin.
    mate u talk a load of rubbish. 'satanist comes form a word for scientist'. whatever.
    Dvnc
    Shread_6009 wrote: **** the whole death metal genre, theyre just guys that cant sing or really play like yngwie malmsteen or make decent riffs, so they try ripping of black sabbaths lyric, exept more extreme with no originality. maybe some guys like nile, Bodom and opeth are really good, but after that... .also there is no real thing as satan worship, satanist comes from a word the translates into scientist, all demon worship is a lie from the church. the singer should just stop now that hes 40 and burned crosses into his skin.
    Have you even heard any real death metal? Nobody in death metal "rips off Black Sabbath" as you so eloquently put it. As for originality, what about bands like Behemoth, or Decapitated, or Necrophagist? Are you actually saying Muhammed Suicmez can't play like Malmsteen? He shreds and plays death metal at the same time. Are you saying that Behemoth or Decapitated "rip off Black Sabbath?" And as for originalty, listen to Sculpting the Thron Ov Seth and tell me that's not original. Now that I think about it, have you even heard of any other bands Besides Nile, Opeth and Bodom? Everyone's heard of Nile, Opeth aren't really death metal, and Bodom are sh*t. In the future, try to learn what you're talking about before you come in and make gross generalizations about it, GTFO.
    MHDrunk
    Someone tell me how the **** a review is meant to be neutral? Of course it's subjective, its music not a ****in car or something! I think it's clear by now that I am a death metal elitist, and as such either read the review with the mindset that I have far higher standards than you or just leave it. Oh and South-of-heaven, I am a Deicide fan. Rarely does a month go by without Legion and self titled making it into my CD player at least once. So consider me a fellow Deicide fan offering his opinion on their latest effort. If I just said everything was good I'd be useless. 2Old2Cold : Actually this new Deicide album is quite good, much better than what this "reviewer" thinks it is. That shouldn't surprise me though, considering he probably likes crap like Opeth and br00tal look-how-technical-I-can-play-but-I-lack-any-feeling-whatsoe ver death metal. You talk about Morbid Angel and Death changing styles yet fail to write that both bands went downhill once they did. Morbid Angel has been trite since about 98 and Death, well they had about 4 good albums. Of course this is just my opinion. I don't like Opeth, they bore the shit out of me as does technical death metal and almost all brutal death metal. While I'm not a fan of Death past Individual Thought Patterns, even up to there they pushed the boundaries of Death Metal and made some very interesting music that certainly is not stagnant. Morbid Angel were never gimmicky and each album showed a change in style (although yes, their latest 2 are not that good). Formulas is actually my favourite album by them.
    Dvnc
    One more thing to all of you people saying this review is biased, Deicide has put out albums that sound just like this one a million times. Its down to a formula, and this band are a sad shell of what they once were. For total lack of any kind of originality whatsoever, I'd give it a one, too.
    MHDrunk
    You're a ****in idiot Thanks Dvnc and everyone else that appreciated this review
    jamie_hough
    2Old2Cold
    Yeah dude, I had to take back what I said because I saw the music you listed on your profile and it is some great stuff. MHDrunk I mean.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    jamie_hough wrote: deicide are a bit crap arent they... i mean lets be honest. it doesnt mean its good jsut cause you can 'shred' a thousnad notes a second, it still sounds awful. and the lyrics are appaling... the vocals make me laugh as a whole though, i dont understnad anyone who takes this sort of music seriously... the first time i saw that video with the fat bald guy with his biker mates getting screamed at - i nearly SOILED myself from laughter.
    Shred a thousand notes per second? When has Deicide ever done that? (Except for some of the newer solos). If you cant appreciate death metal, then would you kindly **** off? I'd reviw this album, but finding it in the stores isn't exactly a piece of cake...
    Bunnie Nuker
    cant say much because i've not heard alot of the new stuff yet, however MHDrunk i totally get what you're saying bout the 'been into death metal for two weeks, wannabe evil modern deicide fans', well said dude.
    lowtek
    MonstaMan
    that's one hell of a sentence!
    MHDrunk
    lowtek wrote: i'm not the biggest fan of deicide either, but this review was just terrible. you didn't even discuss the album, you just slammed deicide for the last decade or so of their career. if you don't have anything nice to say, you could at least be more objective about it. and for as much as you trash benton, it's funny that you've got vital remains on your favorite bands list.
    Tirkaz
    Try reviewing the album, not just saying random shit about how much you dislike the band. Out of that whole thing I only saw a few things even talking about the MUSIC - which is what a CD is.
    belialonmyback
    I clicked on the link expecting a review of the album, not your opinion of the band's career.
    MXFNCK
    polaris1483 wrote: I should also point out that "On Soulseek, I and a few others had taken a Limp Bizkit album and renamed it, advertising it as the new Deicide, but I hadn't actually heard it." shows what a positive outlook on the band this reviewer had when he listened to the album. The fact that he trashed it before he even listened to it shows the idiocy.
    +1 mhdrunk if you dont like a band, dont write anything in the review review section. It's not even a review. we've got the forums for bashing and stuff. noob
    MHDrunk
    ROFL this is a review. Reviews are opinions not fellation (unless you read Terrorizer)
    Magero
    All comments on this review fail so hard. "A review shouldn't be negative" You should have been left to die in the street at birth. I applaud MHDRunk for submitting a review he feels strongly about and phrasing it eloquently at that.
    lowtek
    MHDrunk wrote:Benton didn't always sing for Vital Remains you moron. I like Let Us Pray, that is a classic
    oh i'm quite familiar with VR, but name-dropping an old album won't save you from your status as a sniveling ignoramus.
    Shread_6009
    BlackSymphony6
    Anti-Deicide-Fag should burn. Reviews are for people who like the band to see whether or not the new album is good or not. And this album is okay, thats my opinion. Fans don't want to hear the shit. We want another fans opinion.
    this is a review column not some deicide fan boy page. People should be allowed to have negative opinions about a band. Sure, you can disagree with them, thats what a discussion is, but you cant call them stupid just because they dont like something.
    kmceric1004
    BKGMorley wrote: I coulnt aggree with u more
    And I take you've also listened to the album? Come on. You might not like Deicide, but no album deserves something as low as a 1. This review is sickening.
    TjGk
    So...this reviewer trashes the album and cites some vague reasons, but never gives any examples or goes in-depth at all, choosing instead to go on about how he renamed some files on Soulseek (because that thar's funny). The clueless viewers like me who have never heard this album are frustrated. Can we get a better review? Why did this make the front page?
    BKGMorley wrote: I coulnt aggree with u more
    But why ?
    sambargun
    Finally someone says the truth about the sad remainder of once-good death metal band. Its true that Deicide became this when Morbid Angel and Death went to new uncharted territory. Glenn Benton should realise that inverted crosses and endless growls and 'Homage to Satan's may improve your image not the music. Thanx for saying it like it is.....
    7StringMassacre
    This is album is terrible, I disagree with the stench of redemption thing, that was a really good album Bentons voice was heavy and punchy and the guitars and drums were freakin spot on. Benton could've done without the phony highs though. But Benton's vocals suffer on this album despite his claim that they're better then they've ever been. The guitars sound freaking weak as all get out and the whole album just sounds shoddy. and as far a theme? a theme about the woes of marriage? c'mon. yeah, death metal is cheesy, and stupid, ask any death metal fan, even George Fisher from cannibal corpse said "can anyone take these lyrics serisouly? you have to see the humor in it" so when I pop in my Deicide album I want my vehement anti-christian, worship the devil, hatred spewing music...not songs about the "woes of marriage".
    Cometh_Hessian
    worst review of an album ever. i dont even give to ****s about deicide, but this reviewer sucks and i dont understand how it made the front page let alone be considered a legit review of a CD. good job UG
    sambargun
    How can I like TSOP more than 'Scream.....'? Because the former is more focussed and matter-wise more mature. Is there any criteria saying that Death metal has to be about Satan and Gore? I dont think so. Anyway it gets too monotonous(something that happened to Deicide and Cannibal Corpse). MA writes about Sumerian gods and plays some menacingly slow numbers. Not Death Metal?
    duncang
    kmceric1004 wrote: such bias in this review rly is sickening. At least try to be more neutral when it comes to reviews..pls?
    Reviews aren't meant to be neutral. By the way guys, be patient as I've just sent off the UG Team review for this CD, should be up in a while.
    owned. take that deicide
    Shredder Guitar
    although i agree with everything that was said, the ratings are pathetic. This deserves at least a 5. I mean, we all know they just aren't who the ads make them up to be anymore. They're living off the publicity of being "Satanic."
    2Old2Cold
    Actually this new Deicide album is quite good, much better than what this "reviewer" thinks it is. That shouldn't surprise me though, considering he probably likes crap like Opeth and br00tal look-how-technical-I-can-play-but-I-lack-any-feeling-whatsoe ver death metal. You talk about Morbid Angel and Death changing styles yet fail to write that both bands went downhill once they did. Morbid Angel has been trite since about 98 and Death, well they had about 4 good albums. Of course this is just my opinion. A review by a different person, someone who isn't biased, is really in order for this album. The only album that deserves a 1 is St. Anger or the new Cryptopsy.
    2Old2Cold
    Ok, I have to take back what I said about what this guy probably listens to because the music he has listed on his profile is some good shit.
    moomoocons
    Umm, anyone complaining this review isn't impartial is stupid. Like said earlier, they shouldn't be. If every review was impartial, every thing reviewed would get a 5/10. Odds are if the reviewer raved about how amazing it was, he probably liked them before and would not be impartial. If you like them, make your own review of the CD.
    sambargun
    According to 2old2cold: Actually this new Deicide album is quite good, much better than what this "reviewer" thinks it is. That shouldn't surprise me though, considering he probably likes crap like Opeth and br00tal look-how-technical-I-can-play-but-I-lack-any-feeling-whatsoe ver death metal. You talk about Morbid Angel and Death changing styles yet fail to write that both bands went downhill once they did. Morbid Angel has been trite since about 98 and Death, well they had about 4 good albums. Of course this is just my opinion Of course it is. I dont know how Death and Morbid Angel went downhill. Death's last 3 albums are widely supposed to be their best(especially Symbolic and TSOP) and Morbid Angel's live album(the one starting with 'E') is the only one thats anywhere close to mediocre, the rest are all classics. Your mind and comprehensive powers are going 'downhill' to put such retarded comments. Dont voice your opinion if you dont know something.....
    South-of-Heaven