Till Death Do Us Part review by Deicide

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: May 13, 2008
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 7
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 7.7 Good
  • Users' score: 6.7 (67 votes)
Deicide: Till Death Do Us Part
2

Sound — 8
Deicide's position as one of the most notorious death metal bands on the planet was not so much lost as sort of forgotten since the late 1990's. However, 2006's comeback 'The Stench Of Redemption' was a true return to form, wowing fans and critics alike. The first line-up change in Deicide history (the departure of the Hoffman brothers on guitar) really lit a fire under their asses, and the result was absolutely great. It's said that the 2nd album is always the hardest to make, but I think Deicide's peers Obituary have proven that the follow-up to a comeback is far more difficult. 'Till Death Do Us Part' almost makes it look easy. The album begins with an aptly titled instrumental showing off the lead guitar wizardry of Ralph Santolla, who appears on 'Till Death Do Us Part' as only a session member, having left the band. There are still some absolutely blistering solos ('Worthless Misery' being a fine example) but generally the leads are toned down a fair bit, letting the riffs and vocals do the talking. The vocals of Glen Benton are quite a love-it-or-hate-it matter, but if you're a fan of his growls then his delivery here will impress you. In fact, this is quite applicable for the album as a whole. The riffs and drumming are fairly standard fare for Deicide, but that's by no means a bad thing. Founding member, drummer and principal songwriter Steve Asheim is still very impressive behind the kit, with the same pounding drum sound that the last few Deicide records have had. The sheer intensity of the drum takes are very impressive, a frantic blast accompanied by what sounds like several different fills at once, without once sounding lost. 'Angel Of Agony', in particular, is a true demonstration of Steve's ability on drums. In fact, Asheim's recordings on this album are not just limited to drums as he is credited with lead and rhythm guitars as well. He, Santolla and Jack Owen (of Cannibal Corpse fame) all lay down very solid guitar tracks. The album has countless brutal Deicide riffs and a sizeable dosage of soaring leads, though the latter are not as plentiful with Santolla as only a session player. The sound of this album overall could be seen as a mixture of Deicide's 1992 classic 'Legion' and their newer, more punchy and melodic riff style. Of course, 16 years changes a band's sound a lot, and the production is most certainly very important to this. Even by early '90s standards, Deicide's first few albums didn't have great production, but since 'Scars Of The Crucifix' their tone and mixing has had a real punch to it. While 'Till Death Do Us Part' is still far more sonically 'in-your-face' than say, 'Serpents Of The Light', it doesn't quite have that aggressive power that their last two albums had. This is no complaint, though, as this is Deicide as Deicide is meant to sound: fast, heavy and unforgiving.

Lyrics — 7
The lyrics of Glen Benton are well known for being vehemently anti-Christian and as little as you may agree with his views, it is hard to deny that his lyrics are well done. He has retained that same dark language for over 20 years now, but with time and age his writing style has matured significantly since the days of 'Oblivious To Nothing'. In fact, this album contains quite a lot more than the standard blasphemy that Benton normally churns out. As the title (and, indeed, the horrendous artwork) may suggest, some of these songs have a dark twist on the marriage theme, and of course it's religious connotations. There are still some lyrically weak songs (Feeding off the excrement's of bible prophecy from 'In The Eyes Of God') but Benton's lyrical style certainly does not deserve to be bashed as much as it is by some people, no matter how controversial the subject matter is.

Overall Impression — 8
There is a definite sense of familiarity with 'Till Death Do Us Part'. Perhaps it is the fact that we are not hearing Santolla and Owen's fresh guitar styles for the first time this time around, but really this is quite a standard Deicide album. The riffs, the drumming and Glen's distinctive vocals are all there for the taking, but this album fails to have that massive impact that Deicide's previous record did. This isn't new or refreshing (though the 6 minute 'Horror In The Halls Of Stone', Deicide's longest song to date, most certainly is) and it doesn't masquerade as anything else, it's just a quality slab of death metal done the Deicide way. If you have not been impressed by Deicide's work (even 'The Stench Of Redemption'), then this album isn't going to change your mind. That said, songs like 'Horror In The Halls Of Stone' and 'Not As Long As We Both Shall Live' really do sound like a band that has never stepped a foot wrong.

26 comments sorted by best / new / date

    webbtje
    Oh noes. A review that doesn't like the album. Get over it, guys, it's not like he's burnt down an orphanage.
    webbtje
    TheUnforgiven1 wrote: btw Deicide is the f*ckin shit, and if u dont like them dont write a review
    If the world obeyed your logic, the logical concept of a review would not exist. Be quiet.
    frottage
    i'll have to try it out i guess. their name and the fact that they flame christianity always discourages me, but i love Dissection's lyrics, so i guess this couldn't be THAT much worse.
    TheUnforgiven1
    duncang wrote: TheUnforgiven1 wrote: btw Deicide is the f*ckin shit, and if u dont like them dont write a review Wrong. Anyone can write a review, no matter how much they like it or hate it. The negativity of the review isn't the problem, it's the very poor writing stle and lack of relevance.
    thats right, i just reread what i wrote and its dumb, i was goin for more along the lines of if ur pissed at the band because theyre not like what they used to be, dont go slammin on albums u dont like, i think reviews like this are shit, cuz if someone new to death metal or Deicide reads it theyre gonna be turned off the album, and possibly the whole band, if u have a problem with band write a review about the band not only one of their albums, thats like sayin Metallica was always a shit poser band just cuz of St. Anger
    Shazazmic
    severed-metal wrote: That review was mentally stupid. I actually went down 50 IQ points from reading that mindless insulting. How could anyone agree with that fool? He clearly knows nothing of how to be proper when criticizing other peoples tastes.
    Isn't the average IQ like 100-120... and being under 70 I believe is clinically retarded. Would you like to fingerpaint?
    kyleblackflag
    [quote]polaris1483 wrote: I most certainly won't be paying any attention to his future reviews quote] oh you sure will show him
    Maggotkiller
    2Old2Cold how the **** can you insult opeth thats all i have to say you make me ****ing sick! This is a decent album not their best but it deserves at least a seven.
    duncang
    TheUnforgiven1 wrote: btw Deicide is the f*ckin shit, and if u dont like them dont write a review
    Wrong. Anyone can write a review, no matter how much they like it or hate it. The negativity of the review isn't the problem, it's the very poor writing stle and lack of relevance.
    Magero
    lowtek wrote: MHDrunk wrote:Benton didn't always sing for Vital Remains you moron. I like Let Us Pray, that is a classic oh i'm quite familiar with VR, but name-dropping an old album won't save you from your status as a sniveling ignoramus.
    You fail Stop wasting my oxygen.
    TheUnforgiven1
    This is all stupid shit, the review sucked and that dudes a f*ckin c*nt, I havent heard the new album yet, but i heard a couple tracks and they were pretty good, and why are ppl always shocked that after 17 years a band has some trouble writin shit that isnt as good as their first few albums, who gives a f*ck if its not Legion, listen to it for what it is itself, not what it is compared to the old stuff, as i said i havent heard it yet, but I dont think its bad its just not AS good as the old stuff
    severed-metal
    That review was mentally stupid. I actually went down 50 IQ points from reading that mindless insulting. How could anyone agree with that fool? He clearly knows nothing of how to be proper when criticizing other peoples tastes.
    FearBefore
    BlackSymphony6 wrote: Anti-Deicide-Fag should burn. Reviews are for people who like the band to see whether or not the new album is good or not. And this album is okay, thats my opinion. Fans don't want to hear the shit. We want another fans opinion. this is a review column not some deicide fan boy page. People should be allowed to have negative opinions about a band. Sure, you can disagree with them, thats what a discussion is, but you cant call them stupid just because they dont like something.
    There are negative opinions and then there is immature bashing. The review served no purpose. It didn't help anyone. It was simply a chance to talk crap about the band with no actual thought about the music. Anyone can take constructive criticism but no one is going to take this unreadable swill.
    staind_dust87
    This album makes me laugh, lyrics are the best too, you think dane cook is funny, just wait until you pop this mofo in the CD player. Seriously though, you have to check this out album for yourself!
    duncang
    MHDrunk, you can hate the album if you want, but it's still a piss-poor review, with more focus on Deicide's career than the actual album.
    TjGk
    MHDrunk wrote: ROFL this is a review. Reviews are opinions not fellation (unless you read Terrorizer)
    Ja, and your review made your opinion quite clear. But, as per my previous comment (which went ignored, of course), you don't go in-depth about the music and say why it's so shit. That's the problem I have - you talking about Soulseek over talking about the actual music or giving examples. All I ask is to give us some solid reasoning after you splurge your opinions onto the review page.
    ragnarqk
    belialonmyback wrote: I clicked on the link expecting a review of the album, not your opinion of the band's career.
    THIS.
    Reviewer Pete
    webbtje wrote: Oh noes. A review that doesn't like the album. Get over it, guys, it's not like he's burnt down an orphanage.
    It'd be metal though.
    webbtje
    guitar_shredda* wrote: death to deicide.satanic bastards
    Oh, the maturity...
    MHDrunk
    TjGk - I can't respond to everyone of these comments hahaha. severed-metal: 'mentally stupid' 'i actually went down 50 IQ points from reading that mindless insulting'. you certainly proved your point. i'm criticising a band, not your taste. listen to this all you want, i dont care polaris1483 - good. theunforigven - i did not call deicide shit, i didnt say they were always a shit poser band. i didnt even say they are poser band now. i said that i liked their first two albums. ill say again that i LOVED their first two albums. frottage - it can be that much worse othersider - me too