To Hell With God review by Deicide

• Released: Feb 15, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Deicide: To Hell With God

Deicide is a legendary death metal band probably best known for their early 90s releases and their satanic/anti-christian themes and imagery. Deicide's sound has dramatically changed within their past few releases due to line-up changes and the departure of the Hoffman brothers. Since 2006's "The Stench of Redemption" Jack Owen (Cannibal Corpse) and Ralph Santolla (Iced Earth, Obituary) have been contributing to Deicide and been recording leads and rhythm for Deicide's albums. "To Hell With God" is Deicide's 10th studio album and features a more polished modern death metal sound. Modern death metal tremolo riffs with elements of technicality and soaring leads make up this albums guitars. Steve Asheim's extreme style of drumming contributes nicely to the album with his fast and technical drumming. Glen Benton handling vocals and bass has a much more modern death metal sound and his vocals are not as low and much more different then previous albums.

Lyrics continue with the standard satanic/anti-christian theme of Deicide. Some lyrics off the album are dark and descriptive such as in the song "Into the Darknes You Go". However some of the lyrics are hateful and slightly cheesy such as: "You Don't mean shit to me, Watching your Jesus bleed" from the song "Hang in Agony Until You're Dead". Glen Benton's vocals in the album range from low gutturals to higher gutturals and screams. His vocals sound much more modern and polished. Glens vocals on this album make the lyrics actually easy to hear and understand for once.

Compared to Deicide's previous effort "Til Death Do us Part" this album has much more better riffs and better overall songs. "To Hell With God" however is far from the amazing and intense early Deicide release's like "Deicide" and "Legion". The most impressive songs off the album are "To Hell With God", "Witness of Death" and "Servant of the Enemy". What I love about this album is how some of the songs slowly grew on me and this album gets better with every listen. This album is definitely no "Legion" but it does have it's moments and is a fairly decent release from death metal legends Deicide.

EpicSnackrage
    sumrandomhobo
    These bands are so ****ing lame with their song titles.
    To be honest the whole satanic imagery thing is kinda lame.
    ProgJazzMath
    sumrandomhobo wrote: These bands are so ****ing lame with their song titles. To be honest the whole satanic imagery thing is kinda lame.
    If I could reword my comment, it would be exactly what yours just said. I totally agree.
    sunburst steve
    i really wonder if metal can get even more darker or heavier i mean like the bands are already taking it to the limit with like drop b tuning, and like the most like nastiest and satanic lyrics. i would love to see a sort of resurgence of the old metal that wasn't the heaviest or evilest for that matter but it had a sort of realness to it. (they weren't just the image and or lyrics)
    5MinutesAlone
    kartikc11
    EpicSnackrage wrote: I had to comment because of the headline. Compared to Deicide's previous effort "Til Death Do us Part" this album has much more better riffs and better overall songs. >Much more better riffs >more better
    its just "better". its a comparative in itself, u dont need the more...
    col50
    5MinutesAlone wrote: What a LAME review..All he had to say was 'more modern' this...'more modern' that...seriously?
    I only used the word modern twice.....
    mrshreddy
    the_jackyl wrote: Deicide fans have much more better grammar.
    HAH! This is a fantastic album.. Angel of hell is fu*kin awesome.
    AzureNight
    mrshreddy
    AzureNight wrote: This album sucks balls. I'm tired of pristine, boring production in metal. When will bands get a clue and stop over-producing metal?
    Im sorry what? That makes the least sense of anything i've ever read. Why would you prefer shit production over good production?
    metallifreak77
    Review sucks, but the album is good. It is modern and over-produced... but the material is great and the intensity is back. And of course, hearing Santolla is always good. Surely an improvement over their last album.
    Iommianity
    The cheese factor is inherent in all sub-genres of metal. You can pretend it isn't, but eh. The average person isn't going to care about the differnces between Satan, philosophy, gore, fantasy, or science-fiction; they're just going to see stupid, lame, or pretentious subject matter. One man's prog or fusion is another man's wank. I love lots of progressive bands and I love jazz, but I'm going to take a death metal with Satanic imagery and solid riffs over a band slapping together every dynamic under the sun just for the sake of it.
    ThatWouldBeJon
    ProgJazzMath wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: ProgJazzMath wrote: These bands are so ****ing lame with their song titles. Better than Jetpacks Was Yes! ;D You realize that song is named after an episode of Arrested Development right? Anyway, leave the Atheists to talk shit about something they already feel doesn't exist. That makes sense right?
    Its all shock value, I guess it makes them feel "cool" and "evvvvulll" to bash things they don't believe.
    7StringPlayer
    Deathmethod wrote: I must have a different taste in this band than the reviewer. I never cared for the albums Legion or Deicide, the production quality held those albums back. Serpents of the Light was by far away my favorite album of Deicide's. Even if they don't really get two innovative with their music I can still enjoy the intensity and riffs, I would give this an 8 or so.
    Total agree with this. I Find Serpents as the best album and the production horrid on Legion. This album for me is 5th out of their 10 albums. On another note the lyrics of Death Metal don't change much so if your into this music and especially this band you know what the lyrics are going to be about. So to say it's boring would be like saying you don't like soup because it has broth
    7StringPlayer
    one thing i did find funny was that Angel of Hell and Conviction opening riffs are almost identical
    EpiExplorer
    We sure love our advanced telekinesis and sexy teim powers. ...being english, I must know: WHUT IS ARRESTED DEVELOPMEEEEERNT.
    FearOfTheDuck
    Imptheshrimp
    I came only to see if someone would correct it. Congratulations you, we are a dying breed of grammar elite.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    Seconded, but they've kinda gone down hill lately imo.
    Pagan_Poetry
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: FearOfTheDuck wrote: I like some of their early stuff, but they've been writing about the same thing for 20 years. Boring. Seconded, but they've kinda gone down hill lately imo.
    Ditto. It's how I feel with Slayer as well. Same sh!t different album. I like the newest two albums by Slayer though.
    reverand_godles
    The review points some things out as to why the album is good, but doesn't really justify the actual score it gets. It's not particularly helpful.
    starfire666
    I for one think that their last two releases (Stench of Redemption & Till Death Do Us Part) contained their best music to date. Really looking forward to this one as well, should be good death metal...
    Deathmethod
    ProgJazzMath
    [Azrael]
    ChemicalFire wrote: I also came to this page just for the shitty grammar. How can people can jobs as web journalists and yet I can actually write and not find any?
    Delicious.
    EpiExplorer
    ProgJazzMath wrote: These bands are so ****ing lame with their song titles.
    Better than Jetpacks Was Yes! ;D
    Echoplex
    And.... owned. On a side note, I've given this band several listens, but nothing has ever stood out to me. The Legion album was the only one that I've really liked.
    col50
    illuminatiano wrote: this album blew hard
    meh.... wasn't that bad
    Iommianity
    The production on Legion isn't that bad. There are plenty of lo-fi recordings in early black/death metal, but if you're into osdm in general, it's fine. It's not a mess of indecipherable noise, and I don't know how it's any worse than plenty of classic and vital death metal recordings. That was the style of the time, and it doesn't ruin any albums for me personally. People consider Legion their best album because they were at their most creative and cutting. Once they figured out a successful formula, they stuck to it, a lot like Slayer.