Nespithe review by Demilich

• Released: Feb 8, 1993
Demilich: Nespithe

This band is a very interesting band indeed. This album was the only album released by the Finnish death metal band Demilich, and is considered by some to be a hidden gem of death metal. This album is packed with unconventional song structures and DAMN good guitar riffs. Some may find the production is a little raw, but it really isn't too bad. As far as the music goes, the guitarists are highly skilled and play intricate death metal riffs over extremely low gurgled vocals. The drummer is also very skilled, fluent and switches time signatures with ease. The bass can be hard to hear at times, but this is one of few flaws. This album has some of the best metal riffs I've ever heard. The band creates a very unique atmosphere that is genuinely evil.

The vocals are extremely low and gurgled. They must be some of the coolest vocals ever recorded. I have yet to hear a vocal style even close to Antti Boman of Demilich. I liked the lyrics quite a bit because they are very unusual. The lyrics to the song "And You'll Remaian... (In Pieces Of Nothingness)" are especially creative. Some songs have non-sensical lyrics, that at best can be interpreted personally. When I listen to this album, I am usually too focused on the guitars and drums to pay attention to the lyrics. The vocals are a nice addition to the atmosphere overall.

This album really stands out among other death metal albums I've heard. It is easily one of the most exciting death metal albums to listen to and only gets better each time. This album has some of the best guitar riffs ever concieved, and fantastic percussion. My favorite tracks on the album are: "When The Sun Drank The Weight Of Water", "The Echo (Replacement)", and "And You'll Remain... (In Pieces Of Nothingness)". If I ever lost this album I would get it back for sure. Overall it is a great album for lovers of technical death metal. Strongly recommended.

krvolok
    I never figured out why so many tech/prog death bands from the late 80/early 90s have one or a couple of albums,even though most were absolutely awesome.Well another sad story here...