Storm The Gates Of Hell review by Demon Hunter

• Released: Nov 6, 2007
Demon Hunter: Storm The Gates Of Hell

Demon Hunter. This band has gone through a lot of changes in their music and their image. The first song I heard of them was "Through the Black", in their demo version. It was something refreshing: not so technical riffs with a certain touch. And this has been preserved until today. We now get the newest album "Storm the Gates of Hell" and believe me, it has Demon Hunter written all over it. The first thing you hear is a blast of punchy riffs and the regular screams of Ryan at full capacity. Songs are dirtier, the distortion used in guitars is dirtier, and being a drummer myself, I would've liked the bass drums to be a little clearer, but anyway that doesn't matter, all the songs are heavier, the catchy choruses are still there, and for people that like to mosh to the sound of breakdowns, you get your piece too muahaha. This album is similar to The Thryptic, only that it is a little bit more darker and heavier.

Ryan usually keeps his lyrics very personal and straightforwarded to his beliefs, which are Catholic-Christian. The lyrics are still the same, personal struggles, divine support, beliefs, etc. Some in metaphors, some in direct ways, so lyrics haven't changed a bit here. What has changed is Ryan's screaming, he now does open-throat screams which fit perfectly with the songs, and he does some high-tone screams now and then.

This album didn't surprise me much, because it is exctly what I expected from DH: an agressive album with catchy choruses. The riffing from Don is still there, but Yogi's drumming has improved a lot, in The Thryptic it seemed like he was, I don't know how to say it, like restrained? Like he could add more to the drums but he didn't, and in this album it seemed like he couldn't give a piece of a piece of corn flakes about it. The album has strong songs and ballads, so as you see, it does have Demon Hunter written all over it. So fans of DH, you won't be disappointed by any means, and if you are, send me an IHateYou e-card, metal and metalcore fans, give this album a listen, it's a good piece of Christian Metalcore.