Storm The Gates Of Hell review by Demon Hunter

• Released: Nov 6, 2007
Demon Hunter: Storm The Gates Of Hell

Demon Hunter seems to be more and more productive every year in their career. Even though it's been only a year after the third full-length The Triptych, they are in the spotlight again with a new album -- Storm The Gates Of Hell. This is the album of contrasts -- it is harder and more melodic than the band's previous releases. The rhythm-section does a really good job here. The songs are so drums-driven, it gives a totally different feeling. The guys try to vary the songs with different sounds and instruments -- like there are some strings in the beginning of galloping Sixteen and bells in Incision. This variation usually takes a small part of the song and doesn't differ it dramatically. Like in all metal records, here are a few very fast guitar solos -- for example in Fiction Kingdom. They are not something original though. Most of the album is very dynamic, but there is also a place for mid-tempo tracks. Thorn slows things down a bit, keeping the emotions at the high level and Carry Me Down is a powerful ballad reminiscent to the band's previous works. As I've mentioned above, there are two sides of the CD -- melodic and metal heavy. The band is definitely very good when it comes to aggressive vibes, tons of bass and pounding drums, but unfortunately the softer part is not the same. The CD suffers from boring and predictable melodies. Incision is probably the best song when it comes to interesting tunes. The chorus is delicate (due to it's beautiful melody) and heavy (thanx to powerful bass guitar and drums) at the same time.

Demon Hunter has always been known for expressing their faith though their songs. This album is no exception -- Ryan Clark sings about things that bother him and that he's dealing with in his every-day life. His subjects are whores, heartache, freedom. All of that of course through the prism of Christian religion. Apart from just complaining on a shitty world we're living in, Demon Hunter also call for riot with words Wake the lifeless, die to fight this, stand beside me, Storm the gates of Hell in the title song. There's enough emotions and anger in Ryan Clark's voice when it comes to deeper tones and pure core, but when it comes to singing and higher parts, I wish for somebody with more powerful voice. Clark quite often produces a pitiful crooning which doesn't fit the intense of the music.

Even though the tracks are not long in general -- from 3 to 5 minutes, some of them seem to last too long. Which is quite surprising as the guys got help from such dark lords of metal as producer Aaron Sprinkle (The Almost, Emery) and Machine (Lamb Of God, White Zombie). There are little things about this band that differ it from the majority of other metal acts. Something that is not evident from the first listen, but makes the record much more enjoyable. Like the fact that you don't need to look inside the CD booklet to find out what that screamo part was about -- Clark is singing everything really clear without mumbling. And it seems like it all pays back -- AOL Music named the band one of ten "Artists to Watch!"

Amen lol
    Shazazmic
    tehbensonzorz wrote: Moonman13 wrote: tehbensonzorz wrote: bah, "christian metal" is such a stupid term. stupid term for stupid music. you can be christian and be in a death metal or a black metal band, what you play doesnt necesarily reflect your beliefs. and when people preach religion of any sort thru music, its retarded. Never been to church have you? Music is a great way to show praise, And people do it in different ways, these guys through metal. Their just taking what their good at and utilizing it for God. ironic how you say not to nah bro ive been to church, and i am in fact, christian. and come to think of it, i dislike church's music too, cause its all just 'He is so good, He is so glorious..." which is preaching. i detest it. it just seems stupid to me to have the term 'christian metal'. just like if black metal were to be called 'satanic metal' it'd be retarded. religion shouldnt coincide with music, its that simple to me. GodofCheesecake wrote: Who the **** said metal HAS to be evil or HAS to deal with negative outlooks? Music is about expressing yourself, not about conforming to a genre. You can be christian and listen to satanic metal, and you can be an athiest and enjoy christian music. Know why? Because the music doesn't express your personal beliefs, it expresses the personal beliefs of the individuals that created it. And anyone who believes otherwise is a complete idiot. duh. i just dont like it, metal singing about how the world is a great place just doesnt sit well with me, considering how the very first metal song ever is about a nightmarish apparition. (Black Sabbath, by Black Sabbath) it just doesn't work with me.
    Black Sabbath was not the first metal band. Iron Butterfly is sanctioned at the first "heavy metal" band with the hit "In a Gadda Da Vida" Get your music straight.
    tdennis
    Once again this has turned into one big religious debate. I have one simple question for those people who disagree with Demon Hunter being Christian or them preaching through music. Why have you started this debate? (Sorry this might turn into more then one question.) Is it because you just despise Christians or Christian Metal? Or is it maybe because you want to know more perhaps? Just a thought.
    OP1UM
    There seems to be alot of bias people posting their comments on christian bands "preeching" in their music,yet whats the difference from any other band. All bands deliver a message through their music, but when the message is God, its suddenly becomes a personal attack. Maybe you're feeling a bit guilty?? As for people saying that all christian music Just sucks. Wow you you absolutely don't have a clue what christian music has to offer. I'll go as far as to call you out. name a band and and I'll give you a christian genre equivelant thats on par with that band.
    SaTaNsSuN36
    Yeah they sure prove that they are in fact that of the devil, they thought they had everyone fooled, they thought wrong.
    OP1UM
    oh sorry if my generalised comment cunfused you so much that you totally missed the point and proved that you're a complete and utter idiot. You must have inherited that from your "father". Haha how does it feel to have such a loser for a "father". HAHAHAHA i do sympathyze with you. Your the product of your choices and it seems that your all set up for a flush down the toilet
    Afi_rocker_91
    why would you wanna sing about "slit his throat watch it bleed" "praise satan" or whatever.. its just stupid. That just causes people to be violent, and its people like you who are ruining this world.
    tdennis
    xXChimairaXx wrote: I love these guys. Bands like Demon Hunter and As I Lay Dying curbstomp Satan.
    Couldn't have said it better!
    Afi_rocker_91
    adamdrulz wrote: the only problem about Christian Metal is when people only listen to christian bands and ignore other bands that play the same style of music.
    Not true. Im a Christian and listen to both Christian and non. the reason they only listen to Christian metal is cause they dont have to hear all that stupid crap like Cradle of Filth who are all about violence and killing people or whatever
    IfDaysEnd
    In contrast with Deicide that in past albums their lyrics were just pure blasphemies...there's rarely a Christian band that preaches in their lyrics, I don't see why there's wide criticism to Christian bands and there's none to satanic bands :S
    dangerdan92
    thats the most bullcrap ive heard in my life.. music is about what makes u happy so it can be whatever u want it to be
    dangerdan92
    yea it makes me really mad when people criticize christian bands cause they preach but turn around and listen to a band like dimmu borgir who has a song called devils path!!!
    dangerdan92
    clincher09 wrote: sleepwalker16 wrote: I hate these guys for praching Christianity through their music. Metal has always been music that resisted organised religion, and therefore Demon Hunter isn't metal... their music also sucks hard in the technical aspect... As I Lay Dying pwns them.. and another thing about AILD... the ideas in their songs are not necassariry Christian all the time... freakin' demon hunter are trying to tell people how to live (Sixteen is a good example of that)... I just hope that they break up as soon as possible... we don't need such bands... I didn't know so much fail could be contained in one post, but you've done it. Congrats. And I thought this was a poor review on UG's part, like they listened to it once while it was playing in the backround.
    i dont understand why ur complaining about a talented band like demon hunter when there are gay bands like fall out boy and my chemical romcance really screwin up music
    Arthemesic
    x_themetalfan_x wrote: DustyBannister wrote: Even though I despise Christians(and other Abrahamic religions too), I checked these guys out, still not what I am looking for, just too blah. Want a good metal album try Demigod by Behemoth. Despising people based on their beliefs is despicable. You wouldn't be worth scraping off my boot if I stomped you, ****.
    Agreed. Being a dick about one's beliefs and thinking you're better because of your own ones is despicable.
    rawker_dood93
    I totally respect Demon Hunter, both for the music that they play, and the fact that they are christian. The only difference with these guys and other metal christian metal bands, is that they just try to present a message to you, they dont try to shove something down your throat that you dont want to hear.
    Fi-Fi
    anti-chtistian metal is badass, anti-anti-christian metal is just ass -.-
    Murderface x3
    Afi_rocker_91 wrote: i agree. there is such christian metal. if your saying that metal is evil cause its heavy and stuff then you are wrong Thats like telling me i can go listen to gospil music or worship music and make the lyrics satanic and still call it christian. thats retarded its not the style its the lyrics that determine it all.
    Christian metal doesn't exist.
    withgunstoglory
    well, most of the people I know that listen to Christian Metal, also listen to non Christian Metal
    thesecondman
    Wow. Lets lay off the religious aspect of the music a bit. These guys are talented. As I Lay Dying is a little different style. They are a lot of thrashy stuff... this is a little more melodic... Both Very excellent bands, but how about we jump off the christianity bashing wagon, huh? If you don't like it, leave it alone. As I lay Dying talks about God too. O my goodness! Not that! That's sarcasm. I don't agree with what some people sing about, so i leave it alone. These guys are artists. Good ones. Don't expect them to sing about something they don't believe.
    clincher09
    xCoilx
    1. Just because they are christians doesnt mean that it cant be heavy.Take Faith Factor for example if any of you know who they are. 2.a band can be christian,doesnt mean they have to sing about it in every song 3.If you dont like the message then just listen to the damn music. 4.Every time i go on to a Demon Hunter review theres always shit talked about thier religon 5.DEMON HUNTER ROCKS!!!!!
    Acrimony
    Meaning behind songs is a powerful vise. Bottom line, if you don't want to listen to "christian" or "evil" metal then don't buy or download their shit. Nobody is forcing you to listen to them. Anyway, as a guitar player, lyrics take a back seat to the instruments, in my opinion.
    eetfuk58
    no good guitar parts on any of their records. so personally i think they suck.
    Harvey_Danger
    eetfuk58 wrote: no good guitar parts on any of their records. so personally i think they suck.
    The new album actually has some decent solos. I was surprised. Summer of Darkness wasn't half-bad, but this album's actually good. Sixteen is a very good blend of strings and guitars... I was surprised.
    dhunta57
    well a lot of christian metal is still good idk if youve heard any of these but Skillet, Disciple, and Red are pretty good too. and of course i had to comment on this my profile is named after these guys
    I am punk "BF" wrote: Christains Rock harder!!
    yah thats totally true!!! Rock On!
    DustyBannister
    x_themetalfan_x
    deathpidgeon
    SO none of you have picked up 3 Inches Of Blood's "Fire Up The Blades" album I take it. Thats what metal is all about.
    tackersonMSU12
    BurningTheLives
    [quote]DustyBannister wrote: Even though I despise Christians(and other Abrahamic religions too), I checked these guys out, still not what I am looking for, just too blah. Want a good metal album try Demigod by Behemoth.[/q] Behemoth may be fast, but everyone of their songs sound the same. The same type of guitars, the EXACT same vocals, and the same drum beats. Demon Hunter does a good job of doing heavy metal and also incorporating some good slowed tempo stuff as well
    ready2breakdown
    I don't ming these guys. Their not my absolute favorite or thing like that, but they've got some ok songs. Some really suck ass, but others can be good. But since everyone's trying to put their two cents in and get all religious I'll give mine. This whole "wave of christian metal bands" if you will, just to throw another pointless genre grouping together, has absolutely no substance to me. Firstly, it seems like it's become a fashion above all. Secondly, none of the bands that claim to be christian metal are truly metal. They're metalcore, drop-tuned, breakdown in every song metalcore. Now don't take any offense to that fans of metalcore or demon hunter. But thirdly, they're have been plenty of metal bands that have members within the band that were christian, so I honestly see know reason to tag that to your band. They almost wear it as a badge or something. With the majority of bands claiming to be christian metal, I hear little to no christian influence. I mean Demon Hunter has had a bit, but very limited. And they all seem so hypocritical(aka your everyday christian). They all are so negative and have a very violent attitude. I don't know about you but every christian church I've been forced to attend has very warm and welcoming. They tried to be very positive people and get none of that out of these "christian metal bands." So I'll settle all at once! STRYPER IS A CHRISTIAN METAL BAND! NOT THESE RECENT ONES!
    BNCpinoyboi
    tehbensonzorz wrote: when people preach religion of any sort thru music, its retarded.
    so expressing your beliefs and emotions through music is retarded? you don't know what music is
    Murderface x3
    tackersonMSU12 wrote: DustyBannister wrote: Even though I despise Christians(and other Abrahamic religions too), I checked these guys out, still not what I am looking for, just too blah. Want a good metal album try Demigod by Behemoth. I don't think most Demon Hunter (the Christians, that is) will like the music or lyrical content from Behemoth... a band that sports shirts reading "Christians to the Lions" on the back... I think I saw them rip up a bible on stage. Not saying I support or against that or Christianity, but they just maybe took that a little far...
    Taking it to far is hurting people or animals. They are expressing their beliefs in a way that isn't actually hurting anyone, and it's THEIR beliefs, so you don't have to agree with them. If it offends you so bad, just turn off the TV.
    grungeisdead312
    LakeboDom wrote: Ive tried liking this band and i cant. I honestly think they are highly overrated. Im christian i love metal but iono...as i lay dying owns these guys hands down if your talking christian bands in metal.
    so u wouldnt say this is better than "an ocean between us"??
    BladeSlinger
    This album was just.....epic....and I'm not even Christian yet I love these guys along with many other Christian bands (Going to see Becoming the Archetype soon)....
    sleepwalker16