Storm The Gates Of Hell review by Demon Hunter

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Nov 6, 2007
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 10
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 9.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.7 (127 votes)
Demon Hunter: Storm The Gates Of Hell
1

Sound — 9
Demon Hunter seems to be only getting better with each album. Storm the Gates of Hell is, in my opinion as well as many others, probably the best out of all their albums. The songs are very melodic and powerful. They are mostly composed of screamed verses and a sung chorus. This works out very nicely. The guitar rifts are nice. The guitar solos aren't anything special, most often have an awkward feel. The drumming is amazing and very powerful. These songs are often defined by the great drumming. The bass sound isn't that great, but the guitar and drums make up for that. Demon Hunter's vocals are amazing. Ryan Clark's voice is great; his screams are powerful and his singing is beautiful. Demon Hunter is also one of the few metal bands, such as Avenged Sevenfold, that have great backing vocals. Overall, the songs in this album are all great. Some songs are fast, such as I Am You, while others can be slower, such as Carry Me Down. No two songs sound the same; they all have their own unique sound.

Lyrics — 10
Demon Hunter expresses their Christian faith through their lyrics. This may sound repelling for non-Christians, but it is nothing really noticeable. In fact, many Demon Hunter fans are non-Christians. The lyrical content is nothing like Christian worship music with its typical "Praise Jesus" lyric style. Lyrics usually speak of different things in life from a Christian's perspective. The lyrics fit the mood of the songs as well as the screams. They often have a strong, angry, and aggressive feel, but can also have a sad feel. The lyrics are serious and well written.

Overall Impression — 9
Overall, Storm the Gates of Hell is a must buy for metal lovers. It is definitely the best Demon Hunter album so far. It consists of many impressive songs, such as Fading Away, Carry Me Down, and Incision. In fact, all of the songs are very enjoyable to listen to. The style of the album is quite similar to Killswitch Engage (I actually like Storm the Gates of Hell better than As Daylight Dies). For those of you who are looking for a band with shredding guitar solos, like Metallica, I wouldn't get this album. The guitar solos are the one weakness of the album; however, it doesn't change the fact that it is a great album. I HIGHLY recommend getting it.

45 comments sorted by best / new / date

    LDPGuitarist27
    As always, the comments section is an arguement on beliefs just because the band members are Christian and they express it just like any other band of this genre.
    AvernusAblaze
    Speaking as a Catholic, i must say, some people are too hung up on this album being a Christian album. i'll check out purely for the fact that its heavy. And just too point out, metal has always had religious themes and i dont see why having a more ''pro-religion'' attitude makes a difference really favourite religious themes song - False Gospel by Divine Heresy Relax dudes
    .QOTSA.
    hahahahahahahahahaha EvilAngel93, that was an incredible waste of words. I really have no idea how you got to that conclusion, honestly, theres a bit of a gap. But who cares if the music is good il give it a listen, but is every song christian themed, or do they have some variety?
    ayreon37
    Alright, stick with me for a second, people. Someone said earlier that metal was always written to resist organized religion (sleepwalker). Close! It was written to be against establishment in general. Take "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest. Not really anything to do with religion so much as just... well... breaking the law. So metal was originally anti-establishment music. Metal is currently an establishment, with rules (though loose) about what it is and is not. I know this, because you guys are constantly telling us what is and isn't metal. It follows then that there could be metal written to be resistant to what metal is defined as, whatever the hell THAT is. You people telling me that Christian metal can't exist because metal is against established *insert any kind of establishment here* are therefore contradicting yourselves and closing your minds, the one thing metalheads have almost univerally sworn never to do. Hah! Seriously, I don't get Demon Hunter, but reading these arguments is funny to me. Christians can make whatever kind of music they want. I don't see any satanists trying to branch out to New Age, so props to my fellow Christians for being the first out of the box!
    chickrawker
    wrong album cover i think and carry me down is one of the most beautifuyl songs ive ever heard and it goes to show that clark can still sing. and sing well, unlike say, uneroath where the screamer cant sing at all.. and theyre also good for a christian band. like disciple. most is smarmy and thats why i dont listen to a lot of it. but theyre branching out and being GOOD at what they do
    BlackSymphony6
    on the subject of christian metal ... Cage absolutely rips. barely a mention of jesus or overtly christian values, its about kicking satans ass. Absolutely undeniably METAL.
    EvilAngel93
    .QOTSA. wrote: hahahahahahahahahaha EvilAngel93, that was an incredible waste of words. I really have no idea how you got to that conclusion, honestly, theres a bit of a gap. But who cares if the music is good il give it a listen, but is every song christian themed, or do they have some variety?
    Wow. what a waste of "ha"s. I came to that conclusion because if any jew just made up some retarded myth and spread it all over the world, they would know their consequences when they faced judgement by God. I really have no idea how you can be so phuking retarded. Also, these books cannot have been written by "just anyone". If they were written by just anyone, it would most likely contradict itself in every way because they wouldnt know anything about it. The Gospel shows that Jesus fulfilled all 333 prophecies about Him in the old testament and it only proved them right. I can find no way that they were not Jews. Also, have you heard what happens when someone converts to Christianity? Look at Brian Welch, the former guitarist of KoRn. He was sitting in front of his computer when he experienced an overwhelming sense of the presence of the love of God,, and that I knew it was God, I knew I was changed and Ive never been the same again. This guy was addicted to meth and when this "love of God" entered him, he immediately flushed all his meth down the toilet. Are you trying to tell me that conversion, which can pull an addict away from his biggest obsessions is all just fake? wow.
    ClassicDisaster
    AA00P wrote: clincher09 wrote: And music was actually created as a way to praise God. Bullshit. For quite some time during the middle ages, music was limited in the name of God. Only certain instruments and progressions could be used, etc.
    Go back even farther than that, and you wil find that some of the earliest forms of music were in biblical times, and while not all music was made just to glorify God, that was definately a use of it.
    AA00P wrote: Afi_rocker_91 wrote: why would you wanna sing about "slit his throat watch it bleed" "praise satan" or whatever.. its just stupid. That just causes people to be violent, and its people like you who are ruining this world. As opposed to the countless lives taken in the name of religion?
    Christianity is not a religion at all. Because what is religion? It is a set of rules you have to follow. Things you have to do to make yourself right with whatever that religion is "worshiping." That is not christianity. Christianity is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. There is nothing that we can do that can save us, only the blood of Christ. No other "religion" lets you have a relationship with God. So now there is something different and seperated about christianity. If someone kills in the name of religion, they are in no way representing Christianity, because tht is not the message of the gospel.
    EvilAngel93
    ClassicDisaster wrote: Christianity is not a religion at all. Because what is religion? It is a set of rules you have to follow. Things you have to do to make yourself right with whatever that religion is "worshiping." That is not christianity. Christianity is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. There is nothing that we can do that can save us, only the blood of Christ. No other "religion" lets you have a relationship with God. So now there is something different and seperated about christianity. If someone kills in the name of religion, they are in no way representing Christianity, because tht is not the message of the gospel.
    I agree absolutely. The way I think of it is, religion is like God holding a mirror up to your face and showing you that its dirty, then saying, clean it before I come back. Christianity is like God holding the mirror to your face and then cleaning it so that when He comes back, He will look at you as pure.
    ClassicDisaster
    EvilAngel93 wrote: ClassicDisaster wrote: Christianity is not a religion at all. Because what is religion? It is a set of rules you have to follow. Things you have to do to make yourself right with whatever that religion is "worshiping." That is not christianity. Christianity is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. There is nothing that we can do that can save us, only the blood of Christ. No other "religion" lets you have a relationship with God. So now there is something different and seperated about christianity. If someone kills in the name of religion, they are in no way representing Christianity, because tht is not the message of the gospel. I agree absolutely. The way I think of it is, religion is like God holding a mirror up to your face and showing you that its dirty, then saying, clean it before I come back. Christianity is like God holding the mirror to your face and then cleaning it so that when He comes back, He will look at you as pure.
    That's a very good analogy
    samdelorenzo
    ClassicDisaster wrote: EvilAngel93 wrote: ClassicDisaster wrote: Christianity is not a religion at all. Because what is religion? It is a set of rules you have to follow. Things you have to do to make yourself right with whatever that religion is "worshiping." That is not christianity. Christianity is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. There is nothing that we can do that can save us, only the blood of Christ. No other "religion" lets you have a relationship with God. So now there is something different and seperated about christianity. If someone kills in the name of religion, they are in no way representing Christianity, because tht is not the message of the gospel. I agree absolutely. The way I think of it is, religion is like God holding a mirror up to your face and showing you that its dirty, then saying, clean it before I come back. Christianity is like God holding the mirror to your face and then cleaning it so that when He comes back, He will look at you as pure. That's a very good analogy
    i agree.
    EvilAngel93
    When will everyone realize that lyrics and musical style are two entirely different things? SLipknot plays metal, and so does Demon Hunter. THEY ARE BOTH METAL, BUT ONE BAND SINGS ABOUT CHRISTIANITY AND ONE DOESNT. On a different note, if youre an atheist, consider this: Recent studies have shown that the bible was written when we Christians say it was written. That said, we know that the men who wrote what happened were Jews. If they weren't, they would not know so much about the Messiah and all of the prophecies written 400+ years before Christ. So, knowing that they were Jews, and knowing the way Jews were strict about their law around that time (They crucified Jesus on the cross because of his claims to be God), we would logically conclude that every word of the Gospel is true, which means Jesus really did die and rise again. If you are an atheist, I encourage you to read up a little more on Christianity before you make untrue claims about it. God Bless
    samdelorenzo
    ClassicDisaster wrote: EvilAngel93 wrote: ClassicDisaster wrote: Christianity is not a religion at all. Because what is religion? It is a set of rules you have to follow. Things you have to do to make yourself right with whatever that religion is "worshiping." That is not christianity. Christianity is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. There is nothing that we can do that can save us, only the blood of Christ. No other "religion" lets you have a relationship with God. So now there is something different and seperated about christianity. If someone kills in the name of religion, they are in no way representing Christianity, because tht is not the message of the gospel. I agree absolutely. The way I think of it is, religion is like God holding a mirror up to your face and showing you that its dirty, then saying, clean it before I come back. Christianity is like God holding the mirror to your face and then cleaning it so that when He comes back, He will look at you as pure. That's a very good analogy
    i agree.
    chickrawker
    aroz1 wrote: for all the christians in this blog: (and others who want to read this) I'm a christian too. I've read through this whole stirng, I like Christian metal/(White metal) music. Demon Hunter is the bomb. But after reading through this whole thing, I just don't know what to say. People on here call themselves Christians are cussing and just being a plain old bad witness. If you're gonna cuss and act unchristian-like, then don't go out and say "I'm a Christian" because you are giving the rest of us a bad name. Thank you.
    thanks for somebody mentioning it
    chickrawker
    ClassicDisaster wrote: EvilAngel93 wrote: ClassicDisaster wrote: Christianity is not a religion at all. Because what is religion? It is a set of rules you have to follow. Things you have to do to make yourself right with whatever that religion is "worshiping." That is not christianity. Christianity is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. There is nothing that we can do that can save us, only the blood of Christ. No other "religion" lets you have a relationship with God. So now there is something different and seperated about christianity. If someone kills in the name of religion, they are in no way representing Christianity, because tht is not the message of the gospel. I agree absolutely. The way I think of it is, religion is like God holding a mirror up to your face and showing you that its dirty, then saying, clean it before I come back. Christianity is like God holding the mirror to your face and then cleaning it so that when He comes back, He will look at you as pure. That's a very good analogy
    but not totally right: we cant not sin unless he helps us. imnot gonna go into it, but its the whole faith through grace not faith through works. not to say we shoyuldnt try, but its impossible without the holy spirit
    ClassicDisaster
    chickrawker wrote: ClassicDisaster wrote: EvilAngel93 wrote: ClassicDisaster wrote: Christianity is not a religion at all. Because what is religion? It is a set of rules you have to follow. Things you have to do to make yourself right with whatever that religion is "worshiping." That is not christianity. Christianity is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. There is nothing that we can do that can save us, only the blood of Christ. No other "religion" lets you have a relationship with God. So now there is something different and seperated about christianity. If someone kills in the name of religion, they are in no way representing Christianity, because tht is not the message of the gospel. I agree absolutely. The way I think of it is, religion is like God holding a mirror up to your face and showing you that its dirty, then saying, clean it before I come back. Christianity is like God holding the mirror to your face and then cleaning it so that when He comes back, He will look at you as pure. That's a very good analogy but not totally right: we cant not sin unless he helps us. imnot gonna go into it, but its the whole faith through grace not faith through works. not to say we shoyuldnt try, but its impossible without the holy spirit
    i couldn't agree more
    Flints
    Murderface x3 wrote: God=not metal. Christians rock/metal is an incorrect term. Metal has been about evil stuff ever since it was created. Evil is part of what metal is. You can't change that.
    That's the stupidest thing i've heard all day. God Invented Metal.
    AwesoMene$$
    Flints wrote: Murderface x3 wrote: God=not metal. Christians rock/metal is an incorrect term. Metal has been about evil stuff ever since it was created. Evil is part of what metal is. You can't change that. That's the stupidest thing i've heard all day. God Invented Metal.
    HAHAHAHA!!!!! Metal is Gods greatest gift to mankind (besides Jesus)!!! Saying that Demon Hunter is evil is like saying that Jesus is evil!!!!
    skilletfan17
    Music is a way to voice opinions and facts, why is religion/politics etc roped off? Id rather listen to something of value even if it was against my beliefs instead of another akon song about having sex. Seriously there's no such thing as preaching because it's the same as anything else, everything has a message. Also, it confuses me as to why metal can't be Christian...so I can sing "God is good" with a clean voice and accoustic guitar and then suddenly scream "God is good" with a guitar with distortion....? Has it changed somehow?No, not at all. So don't try to tell me any genre is limited to any topic, cuz it's easily refuted. I encourage every musician to sing or scream from your heart and to not be confined to if ignorant/biased people's retarted standards. BTW I love Demon hunter and Storm the gates of hell. DH stands out because they defy the boundaries of both sides by making amazing and diverse original music that proves u don't have to sacrifice faith or music to make a wonderful combination of both.
    DJdude
    I believe that the lyrics are what make the songs christian. I just had to take a side. BTW. Does anyone know what sixteen is? I've listened to the songs a gazzilion times but I've still not figured it out.
    sg4ever
    decayingdave wrote: Much like any other religion, christianity is founded on ignorance and hatred - It's just a big cult that is made up of people who need answers 'cus they only know how to follow the rules... and to you hateful zealots that will no doubt quote me and slander what I say, Does it seem odd that every one of those answers that your cult has given you have come at a price, whether it be money and/or freedom? Whatever - If you're not strong enough to have a human mind that doesn't need a ton of lies to keep it going, then I won't ridicule you for that - That would only make me as ignorant as this band or any other misguided caveman. I know I'm better than these primitive-minded people, and so that's all that matters to me.
    And yet, although you are strong enough to have a "human mind" (there's not a human that doesn't, by the way), in the back of your wondrous "human mind" will always be unanswered questions that no amount of human effort will answer. To say that such insecurities don't exist is simply denial, or obliviousness. To say that some things can never have an answer is true in that one can never fully know God or the universe, but it is also a cop out. There are things we CAN know, but such an attitude denies us of answers we could have. Perhaps we don't want to know. We all like to have a foundation to stand on. Your foundation is to keep the world in a box where everything can be humanly explained. My foundation is God who has a firm grasp on EVERYTHING. There is no HONEST and TRULY credible shred of evidence to discredit Him or the belief in Him. Try it. I've only been presented with circular theory and hypothesis, riddled with holes. It came from the best scientists the world has to offer too. So as not to be labeled as a spammer...this album rocks my socks off.
    AA00P
    Afi_rocker_91 wrote: why would you wanna sing about "slit his throat watch it bleed" "praise satan" or whatever.. its just stupid. That just causes people to be violent, and its people like you who are ruining this world.
    As opposed to the countless lives taken in the name of religion?
    rictazero
    Music is about expressing yourself... these guys sing about God because that's why you want to express. If you want to express Zoarastrianism or Hinduism or that religion with the flying spaghetti monster as a God through music I might not agree with it, but I'm not going to say that it's not music or that it's stupid for you to express those things through a channel which is entirely dependent upon self expression.
    johnny rex
    "oh no! not a religious band! we want to hear a metal band sing about satan!" satanism is a religion too, dipshits. anyway, good band.
    jakewynnrocks
    darkarbiter7 wrote: Demon Hunter is the best christian band ever! I almost have to buy this now. What are some of the better songs on the album?
    storm the gates of hell, fading away, sixteen, follow the wolves, and no reason to exist are my favorites...
    decayingdave
    Much like any other religion, christianity is founded on ignorance and hatred - It's just a big cult that is made up of people who need answers 'cus they only know how to follow the rules... and to you hateful zealots that will no doubt quote me and slander what I say, Does it seem odd that every one of those answers that your cult has given you have come at a price, whether it be money and/or freedom? Whatever - If you're not strong enough to have a human mind that doesn't need a ton of lies to keep it going, then I won't ridicule you for that - That would only make me as ignorant as this band or any other misguided caveman. I know I'm better than these primitive-minded people, and so that's all that matters to me.
    CapnKickass
    decayingdave wrote: Much like any other religion, christianity is founded on ignorance and hatred - It's just a big cult that is made up of people who need answers 'cus they only know how to follow the rules... and to you hateful zealots that will no doubt quote me and slander what I say, Does it seem odd that every one of those answers that your cult has given you have come at a price, whether it be money and/or freedom? Whatever - If you're not strong enough to have a human mind that doesn't need a ton of lies to keep it going, then I won't ridicule you for that - That would only make me as ignorant as this band or any other misguided caveman. I know I'm better than these primitive-minded people, and so that's all that matters to me.
    ... peace be with you my child.
    Dallen_007
    decayingdave wrote: Much like any other religion, christianity is founded on ignorance and hatred - It's just a big cult that is made up of people who need answers 'cus they only know how to follow the rules... and to you hateful zealots that will no doubt quote me and slander what I say, Does it seem odd that every one of those answers that your cult has given you have come at a price, whether it be money and/or freedom? Whatever - If you're not strong enough to have a human mind that doesn't need a ton of lies to keep it going, then I won't ridicule you for that - That would only make me as ignorant as this band or any other misguided caveman. I know I'm better than these primitive-minded people, and so that's all that matters to me.
    Wow...what a arrogent hateful douchebag. Your better then these people? Because they chose to have faith in something? Even if you think it is the most terrible thing in the world, they have every right to their faith as you to your lack of it. You are no better then they, and in fact this comment makes you seem so much less. You say you "won't ridicule you for that" the you go on to say that these are "primative-minded people" Bashing religion is stupid. Everyone can believe what they want. You know, I'm a Christian, and I didn't say a damn thing to lessen your beliefs. You are no better then anyone else, and the sooner you learn that the better.
    Frusciante Fan
    Metal does not need to have "evil" lyrics or ideas behind them. look at Death's l8r albums...
    ClassicDisaster
    decayingdave wrote: Much like any other religion, christianity is founded on ignorance and hatred - It's just a big cult that is made up of people who need answers 'cus they only know how to follow the rules... and to you hateful zealots that will no doubt quote me and slander what I say, Does it seem odd that every one of those answers that your cult has given you have come at a price, whether it be money and/or freedom? Whatever - If you're not strong enough to have a human mind that doesn't need a ton of lies to keep it going, then I won't ridicule you for that - That would only make me as ignorant as this band or any other misguided caveman. I know I'm better than these primitive-minded people, and so that's all that matters to me.
    I'm sorry you have such a distorted view on Christianity. It isn't founded on ignorance and hatred, it's founded on the grace and love extended to us from God through the death and resurrection of his son Jesus Chirst. There's no "price" for any "answers": salvation is a free gift from God to all who accept Christ as their saviour. The message of the cross is love; love greater than anyones sin. God loves you no matter how much you say you hate him and are better than those who believe in him, and that will never change.
    shaymack37
    I read some comments earlier about how 'Christian' metal can't be metal. While bands like Black Sabbath (who did or did not invent it) are real metal because their songs discourage religion/rules/authority/close-mindedness. Well, has anyone heard of a little black sabbath tune of the 'master of reality' album called 'after forever'? Here's how the lyrics go: Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved? Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you? Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school? When you think about death do you lose your breath or do you keep your cool? Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope do you think he's a fool? Well I have seen the truth, yes I've seen the light and I've changed my ways And I'll be prepared when you're lonely and scared at the end of our days Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say If they knew you believe in God above? They should realize before they criticize that God is the only way to love Is your mind so small that you have to fall In with the pack wherever they run Will you still sneer when death is near And say they may as well worship the sun? I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you don't believe? You had the chance but you turned it down, now you can't retrieve Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate Or will you still jeer at all you hear? Yes! I think it's too late. All hail the first metal band with Christian lyrics-BLACK SABBATH!!! End of subject ignorant metalheads.
    AA00P
    clincher09 wrote: And music was actually created as a way to praise God.
    Bullshit. For quite some time during the middle ages, music was limited in the name of God. Only certain instruments and progressions could be used, etc.
    Siege of Power
    tehbensonzorz wrote: bah, "christian metal" is such a stupid term. stupid term for stupid music. you can be christian and be in a death metal or a black metal band, what you play doesnt necesarily reflect your beliefs. and when people preach religion of any sort thru music, its retarded.
    Oh, but its fine When Glen Benton discusses Satanism, amirit?
    loopymofo2000
    man music is what it is. no such thing as "this has to sound like that to be metal." metal is the style of play. has absolutely nothing to do with the lyrics. ppl make pop sngs about hate and nurder, ppl make rap songs about evil, does that mean they are metal....no. it sure doesn't. lyrics don't mean shit to describe a genre...only the *****s that have to stereotype them believe this crap. music is defined from the sound not the words. but demon hunter is a refreshing listen when i'm not indlged in slayer or some other thash. these guys are great. they even did a soundtrack. an ppl talking religion in songs is fine as long as its done well...unlike creed....who just butcher it and make religion sound gay.
    Kastöm
    Murderface x3 wrote: God=not metal. Christians rock/metal is an incorrect term. Metal has been about evil stuff ever since it was created. Evil is part of what metal is. You can't change that.
    Just because 80% of rap songs are about women's butts doesnt mean ALL rap songs are about women's butts. The same applies to metal except I have no idea where your pulling this crap from.
    In_a_Trance
    Kastm wrote: Murderface x3 wrote: God=not metal. Christians rock/metal is an incorrect term. Metal has been about evil stuff ever since it was created. Evil is part of what metal is. You can't change that. Just because 80% of rap songs are about women's butts doesnt mean ALL rap songs are about women's butts. The same applies to metal except I have no idea where your pulling this crap from.
    In_a_Trance
    Ah, sorry for double post. But I agree with the guy above. I'm not religious but these guys have decent riffs and a good singer so I see no problem with this.
    MasterOfCows
    Murderface x3 wrote: tackersonMSU12 wrote: DustyBannister wrote: Even though I despise Christians(and other Abrahamic religions too), I checked these guys out, still not what I am looking for, just too blah. Want a good metal album try Demigod by Behemoth. I don't think most Demon Hunter (the Christians, that is) will like the music or lyrical content from Behemoth... a band that sports shirts reading "Christians to the Lions" on the back... I think I saw them rip up a bible on stage. Not saying I support or against that or Christianity, but they just maybe took that a little far... Taking it to far is hurting people or animals. They are expressing their beliefs in a way that isn't actually hurting anyone, and it's THEIR beliefs, so you don't have to agree with them. If it offends you so bad, just turn off the TV.
    Try taking your own advice.
    mdawg24
    Not gonna lie, this may be the only Christian band that I can listen to consistently without getting sick of it. And I'm a christian.
    BlackSymphony6
    i find any music where the band is overly preachy to be tiring and annoying. i have no problem with a band expressing their beliefs, whatever they may be. But i have been to several concerts (varying genres) where the bands have practically tried to convert me on the spot. Have your beliefs by all means, but please dont try and force them on me.
    sg4ever
    ClassicDisaster wrote: EvilAngel93 wrote: ClassicDisaster wrote: Christianity is not a religion at all. Because what is religion? It is a set of rules you have to follow. Things you have to do to make yourself right with whatever that religion is "worshiping." That is not christianity. Christianity is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. There is nothing that we can do that can save us, only the blood of Christ. No other "religion" lets you have a relationship with God. So now there is something different and seperated about christianity. If someone kills in the name of religion, they are in no way representing Christianity, because tht is not the message of the gospel. I agree absolutely. The way I think of it is, religion is like God holding a mirror up to your face and showing you that its dirty, then saying, clean it before I come back. Christianity is like God holding the mirror to your face and then cleaning it so that when He comes back, He will look at you as pure. That's a very good analogy
    One thing though. Religion literally means "the fear of gods", which Christianity is not. Some people will also say that Christianity was some cult with some definitive bithplace and time, but the general concept of Christianity existed before the central foundation of the faith existed. Before Jesus died and people believed in Him as the atonement for their sin, people believed in the His sacrifice yet to come. When a Jewish (more accurately, Hebrew) person offered a sacrifice, it was a picture of the sacrifice of Jesus.