Summer of Darkness review by Demon Hunter

• Released: May 4, 2004
Demon Hunter: Summer of Darkness

The album has been very well produced. It has such a raw edge, and everything just stands out. The only problem I would say if the bass is not loud enough. The hardcore drums back up the driven guitar, giving Demon Hunter such a powerful and aggressive sound, but if they want to get more intimate, they can.

Ryan can really write lyrics. For a Christian band, the lyrics are quite dark, but so passionate. The lyrics that stand out are "Not Ready To Die," "Coffin Builder" and "My Heartstrings Come Undone" definetly a worthy 5.

Demon Hunter have an incredible album here. Summer Of Darkness is without a doubt, one of the top albums in the Christian hardcore scene. Here's the low down on the songs: 01. Not Ready To Die - the intro the album, and it gives such a powerful introduction, kicking in with such a hardcore riff, and then for the chorus, breaking it down 5/5. 02. The Awakening - not a bad tune, but perhaps a little boring after a while. Powerful chorus, with brilliant singing 3/5. 03. Beheaded - probably the thrashiest of songs on the album. The doube bass in the chorus adds such aggression to the song. A stand out song on the album 5/5. 04. My Heartstrings Come Undone - there's no screaming in this song, but it really is remarkable. Powerful lyrics, and Ryan really lets it out with his singing here 5/5. 05. Our Faces Fall Apart - superb song, with such a change of pace. The chorus is produced really well. This is probably the least metal chorus in the whole album 4/5. 06. Less Than Nothing - a favourite of mine. Great intro riff, kicks into a powerful verse, and a melodic chorus. Obvious 5.5/5. 07. Summer Of Darkness - perhaps a weaker verse, but with a more powerful chorus. Ryan really lets the vocals stand out in this chorus. Not a bad riff in it either 3.5/5. 08. Beauty Through The Eyes Of A Predator - it's an ok song, but I don't feel it's a stand out song. Give it a 3.3/5. 09. Annihilate The Corrupt - the verse sounds too much like "Beauty Through The Eyes Of A Predator" but there's a great use of effects on Ryan's vocals in the chorus. Another 3.3/5. 10. I Play Dead - another mellow song, without much screaming. Brilliant, catchy chorus, stand out song 5.5/5. 11. Everything Was White - straight up, in your face metal. Doesn't quite compete as a top song on the album, but it's a superb song 4/5. 12. Coffin Builder - we've got Trevor from TFK, doing a bit here. Awesome song, brilliant use of vocals and guitar 5/5. 13. The Latest And The Last - an incredible way to finish the album, with a quick chorus and brilliant lyrics 5/5. Overall, a superb listen and a brilliant hardcore album. Worthy of a purchase. I wouldn't buy it again if someone knicked it, as I would be smart enough to of burnt a copy on my computer.

Nathanial_ng
    if you're underage, this album lacks the 'Parental Advisory' sticker! for what? their christian metal man. there arent any cuss words in this album aint there??
    godrestthyweary
    Not every metal cd needs a parental advisory sticker, hardcore or metal band needs a parental advisory sticker on it, christian or not. And my favorite track was definately "Beheaded" just because Michael Williams definatly adds contrast to Ryan's screaming and just makes a brutal impression.
    DeMoNhUnTeRuLeS
    why was this rated so low by Useres? OK its deffinitly not the best album of DH (the Triptych is) But it doesnt deserve a 6 rating
    bigwesut
    I absolutely loved this album. In my own opinion, it's Demon Hunter's best work. i can't wait for another tour. My only disappointment was that they canceled their Houston Show on "The Triptych" tour to do another show towards the end of the tour. Overall this album gets a 10 out of 10 from me, the lyrics, crushing riffs, and sheer energy are what got me hooked as a Hunter, and i will be until i die.
    rockforjesus703
    I definitely like this album, but The Triptych is so much better-in my humble opinion. I still love this album, but I like The Triptych better. I'd give this album four stars out of five.
    rock4christ
    Demon Hunter is just an amazing band. I personally think this is Demon Hunter's best work. I love all of thier work but to me this album just stood out more than the other two. They developed an awsome sound on thier first album, which was great. On this album they went for a heavier sound which is even better! I was a little dissapointed with the triptych because they used the same sound as they did on thier first album which to me isnt very creative. Over all I love every thing Demon Hunter has recorded. Rokk On!! lml(>
    skilletfan17
    I can't believe Demon Hunter was right in front of me the entire time,and I had their music videos and their 4th album storm the gates of hell and thought it was good but never really gave it a chance until I bought The World Is a Thorn and now Im in love with and devouring all five DH albums. Wow, this is the best band ever!!