The World Is A Thorn review by Demon Hunter

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Mar 9, 2010
  • Sound: 8
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8.3 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.3 (58 votes)
Demon Hunter: The World Is A Thorn
0

Sound — 8
Ah, after a two and a half year wait, Demon Hunter returns with what they promised to be their "heaviest, yet most melodic" record yet. This album delivers in spades of both. Tracks such as "Driving Nails" and "Blood in the Tears" are melodic ballads that are possibly the softest material from the band yet. But the title track to the album (yes, there is a title track) could very well be a song from Pantera or, dare I say, Slayer. The tempo is distinctly remeniscient of thrash metal, and just as heavy. Now, on to the sound. Yes, the album is noticably mixed to put emphasis on the vocals, but the guitars are more technical here than in any past Demon Hunter record. This is especially prevalent on "Just Breathe", which features a very impressive sweeping section. This record is fast, heavy, and although it does have ballads that the record could do without, it is definitively the heaviest record brought forth from the Seattle band.

Lyrics — 9
Oh, the lyrics. Demon Hunter has never been known for deep, philosophical lyrics. But there is a different aire on this record. This record is written with a more angry feel to the record. Two songs released prior to the release of the record showcase this perfectly. "The World Is a Thorn" and "Tie This Around Your Neck", respectively say; "The gavel has fallen, along with the rest/Are we expected to settle for this?/Bring us the plague, lead us away." And; "This is the age of the dead/The generation of the pagan and self-led/You can feel the bones shatter beneath your feet/the blood of lust staining our teeth/We feed on pain, delusion, the filth of the modern plague/And in this reign on Godlessnes, the heathens will say/Tie this around your neck". Ryan Clark started his career as a decent vocalist. However, he has made significant improvement on each record, and on this one he is phenomenal. On the song "Collapsing", he reaches high notes that he has never shown on any DH record.

Overall Impression — 8
Demon Hunter is a very unique artist, blending vocals remeniscient of nu-metal or thrash metal with metalcore. Comparing it to other artists of their genre, Demon Hunter stands out. Of the record, the most impressive songs are "Collapsing", "Just Breathe", "The World is a Thorn", "Feel As Though You Could", and "Descending Upon Us". If this record were to be stolen, I would just burn off another copy, because I have the album downloaded onto my computer.

65 comments sorted by best / new / date

    ABR Is Ear Rape
    Just Meh for me..Im into a diverse, wide range of music for some reason I just can't get into this band for some reason after trying multiple times... Want good christian metal? Go listen to August Burns Red
    millarso
    metalheadTim wrote: any music or media that relates itself to a gospel band or christian denomination is ridiculous. It defeats the purpose of the religion in many ways. meaning, demon hunter sucks.
    You're ridiculous, go home little boy... but seriously, is that even worth saying?
    Jon777
    metalheadTim wrote: any music or media that relates itself to a gospel band or christian denomination is ridiculous. It defeats the purpose of the religion in many ways. meaning, demon hunter sucks.
    Open your closed mind. And close your open mouth.
    b1izzard
    Nice! Two of melodeaths best singers doing guest vocals for an awesome band. I especially think Speed's style will compliment the track.
    eteam_sammy4him
    Edit: ^ sorry bout the bad post, my computer went stupid. Anyway, what i was trying to say was that A Ghorst Reverie has my vote for one of the dumbest UG members. AND, great album. Not a single lacking track. I was at my local store when they opened on Tuesday.
    Jon777
    Bought this at Best Buy for 8 bucks yesterday. Great deal, thanks Best Buy. Anyway, I'm totally lovin' on this album. Demon Hunter certainly has grown a lot. I hate to say it, but I'm glad Don left. Patrick is a much better guitarist.
    Jon777
    Also, the UG Team review failed to mention Christian Alvestam as a guest vocalist. Booooo. *thumbs down*
    Rhizomic_Growth
    thrashmonkey wrote: never listened to them before. I might need to check them out. And just to let you know, As I Lay Dying are in fact christian
    They are deffinitly worht a listen. Also, AILD's Tim Lambesis founded another, parody band called Austrian Death Machine, which is great fun.
    Jon777
    Rhizomic_Growth wrote: thrashmonkey wrote: never listened to them before. I might need to check them out. And just to let you know, As I Lay Dying are in fact christian They are deffinitly worht a listen. Also, AILD's Tim Lambesis founded another, parody band called Austrian Death Machine, which is great fun.
    Austrian Death Machine is hilarious.
    Jon777
    EpiExplorer wrote: Regression wrote: If you read it properly it actually says they rarely tour. A decent band. Christian Alvestram (Scar Symmetry's old vocalist) does guest vocals on one of the songs. Definitely worth a listen imo. Lawl, thats all he seems to be doing these days, guest vocals. Did some with Deadlock too.
    Christian is with a band called Solution .45 now. From what I've listened to, it's a better version of Scar Symmetry. Go check out "Gravitational Lensing."
    Gary.Blizzard
    I hate people implementing religious shit into music when they have a good sound. Not that big of a problem here, they don't sound that amazing, but not like complete shit. Eehh
    EpiExplorer
    Jon777 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Regression wrote: If you read it properly it actually says they rarely tour. A decent band. Christian Alvestram (Scar Symmetry's old vocalist) does guest vocals on one of the songs. Definitely worth a listen imo. Lawl, thats all he seems to be doing these days, guest vocals. Did some with Deadlock too. Christian is with a band called Solution .45 now. From what I've listened to, it's a better version of Scar Symmetry. Go check out "Gravitational Lensing."
    Not really that much better.. Infact its more of a SS remake. Prefer Scar Symmetry for the sheer space factor, but Solution is something I might buy, so thanks.
    Shredder Man
    Jon777 wrote: Rhizomic_Growth wrote: thrashmonkey wrote: never listened to them before. I might need to check them out. And just to let you know, As I Lay Dying are in fact christian They are deffinitly worht a listen. Also, AILD's Tim Lambesis founded another, parody band called Austrian Death Machine, which is great fun. Austrian Death Machine is hilarious.
    lookit the line-up.. Main Line-Up Tim Lambesis lead vocals, guitar, bass, drums Ahhnold (Chad Ackerman in Total Brutal, Josh Robert Thompson in Double Brutal, Justin Olszewski for live shows) Schwarzenegger vocals Also.. Lambesis stated where As I Lay Dying "is heartfelt and full of passion" Austrian Death Machine on the other hand "is an outlet of pure testosterone and stupidity."
    Rhizomic_Growth
    Shredder Man wrote: ... lookit the line-up.. Main Line-Up Tim Lambesis lead vocals, guitar, bass, drums Ahhnold (Chad Ackerman in Total Brutal, Josh Robert Thompson in Double Brutal, Justin Olszewski for live shows) Schwarzenegger vocals Also.. Lambesis stated where As I Lay Dying "is heartfelt and full of passion" Austrian Death Machine on the other hand "is an outlet of pure testosterone and stupidity."
    And I consider "testosterone and stupidity" to be quite hilarious.
    A Ghost Reverie
    Its not they such, its how gimmicky they are and how they screwed over their once loyal fans. With making the Blasted Resitance.
    EpiExplorer
    Regression wrote: If you read it properly it actually says they rarely tour. A decent band. Christian Alvestram (Scar Symmetry's old vocalist) does guest vocals on one of the songs. Definitely worth a listen imo.
    Lawl, thats all he seems to be doing these days, guest vocals. Did some with Deadlock too. As for the album, I was half expecting this to be some other deathcore/metalcore failure. But it actually sounds like an updated Slayer album. Shame about the vocals.. I'd like it more.
    metalheadTim
    any music or media that relates itself to a gospel band or christian denomination is ridiculous. It defeats the purpose of the religion in many ways. meaning, demon hunter sucks.
    xVyKariousx
    District wrote: xicetraex wrote: A band that doesn't tour? Lame. Indeed, and not quite nice to the fans either.
    I disagree, I sent them a message on Myspace and what are the odds? Bassist Jon Dunn messages me back thanking me for the encouragement and such. Was it really Dunn? Who knows, but I'll just go with it.
    DreamScape
    this band is so awesome...and this cd is too. not only does it have Great lyrical phrases and content, it has great music to accompany it
    District
    xicetraex wrote: A band that doesn't tour? Lame.
    Indeed, and not quite nice to the fans either.
    Regression
    If you read it properly it actually says they rarely tour. A decent band. Christian Alvestram (Scar Symmetry's old vocalist) does guest vocals on one of the songs. Definitely worth a listen imo.
    SouthernPunk777
    xicetraex wrote: A band that doesn't tour? Lame.
    They don't tour because the lead singer (and past guitarist) have a graphic design company. Imagine it as if this is a side project to another band. Side projects don't get touring abilities as often. They have a live album out as well.
    bokma
    Another album?? I may have to check it out. I was big fan when the Triptych came out
    svgabe
    Yeah, album is decent, a solid effort, but not my favorite they've done. The Triptych is prob' my favorite, along with the self -titled. They do about one short tour per-album basically. I was lucky enough to see them in Allentown PA for the "Storming the Gates of Hell" tour... it was insane. They played with Advent, The Famine (soooo brutal live), Oh, Sleeper (also sick live, guitar work is awesome) and Living Sacrifice. I went to the show primarily to see Living Sacrifice cause I've loved them for ten years or so and I didn't think I'd ever get a chance to see them after they broke up for a while. Whole show was really solid, DH played the same set as on the 45 Days DVD/Live In Nashville CD.
    gypsyjew22
    I think it sucks that they only tour in the south and western states. As Demon Hunter being my favorite band, it REAALLLLLY sucks! This album is quite awesome and definately their most melodic, not heaviest, Triptych is the best, this album is up there tho....they are waaaay more than a decent band, jeesh haha
    Covin
    I dunno why they say that rarely tour. They tour with every album, just not as extended as other bands do.
    The Tak
    I thought this album was pretty good actually. The band matured and seem to be confident with what they are doing. Metal-core being what it is though...definitely nothing that would make them top of the list for albums of the year.
    thrashmonkey
    never listened to them before. I might need to check them out. And just to let you know, As I Lay Dying are in fact christian
    skilletfan17
    I just bought this album, already really liked DH but now they even skyrocketed more! This album is almost a masterpiece, so good. I'm surprised none of the reviews said anything about "shallow water", I love that chorus so much. This band keeps getting better and better, nobody sounds like them, completely original, and I've seen videos of them live they're really good at shows. Can't wait to see what they come up with next, hope they come to Oklahoma City soon!
    bagpipemetal
    They usually do a big tour after every album, and they play at cornerstone, sure they don't tour as much as other bands but they do tour. ALso, this album is really awesome.
    JSmith38
    I absolutely love Demon Hunter. No, I'm not Christian, but these guys are amazing. I was there for live in Nashville. My ears rang for 3 ****ing days. Don't miss a chance to see them.
    col50
    Demon Hunter is just another boring metalcore band. They seem to be getting worse with every album.
    Thrash.or.Die
    Never heard of them till now, but to compare this album to Wrath makes me have very high expectations for this album.
    gypsyjew22
    Thrash.or.Die wrote: Never heard of them till now, but to compare this album to Wrath makes me have very high expectations for this album.
    gypsyjew22
    gypsyjew22 wrote: Thrash.or.Die wrote: Never heard of them till now, but to compare this album to Wrath makes me have very high expectations for this album.
    .....Do you live in a cave?
    gypsyjew22
    EpiExplorer wrote: Regression wrote: If you read it properly it actually says they rarely tour. A decent band. Christian Alvestram (Scar Symmetry's old vocalist) does guest vocals on one of the songs. Definitely worth a listen imo. haha Christian is in Miseration and .45 lol, he doesnt just do guest vocals Lawl, thats all he seems to be doing these days, guest vocals. Did some with Deadlock too. As for the album, I was half expecting this to be some other deathcore/metalcore failure. But it actually sounds like an updated Slayer album. Shame about the vocals.. I'd like it more.
    tylerthetugboat
    For a band that never, ever tours
    Demon Hunter announced today that they are going on tour with As I Lay Dying.
    justinb904
    tylerthetugboat wrote: Demon Hunter announced today that they are going on tour with As I Lay Dying.
    With both of them touring on new albums I'll definitely have to check that out. Solid album I thought. Great for a casual listen(well, casual for metal).
    butlerc777
    Demon Hunter's not the greatest metal band out there, but I would call them one of my top faves. This album is definitely a progression from "Storm the Gates," but some of the vocal melodies remind me of their self-titled. Big fan. Also, I have the deluxe edition of this album, and the two extra songs really put a better end on the album, in my opinion.
    millarso
    ABR Is Ear Rape wrote: Just Meh for me..Im into a diverse, wide range of music for some reason I just can't get into this band for some reason after trying multiple times... Want good christian metal? Go listen to August Burns Red
    Well, that's your opinion. I mean, I like ABR also, but they are too different to compare. Demon Hunter is far more melodic than ABR, so they are more accessible to a lot of people.
    butlerc777 wrote: Demon Hunter's not the greatest metal band out there, but I would call them one of my top faves. This album is definitely a progression from "Storm the Gates," but some of the vocal melodies remind me of their self-titled. Big fan. Also, I have the deluxe edition of this album, and the two extra songs really put a better end on the album, in my opinion.
    I never got to check out the bonus songs, so if they do end the album better, I might have to check them out.
    MetalheadforJC
    col50 wrote: Demon Hunter is just another boring metalcore band. They seem to be getting worse with every album.
    At least this one is better than Storm the Gates of Hell. I'm not to much of a fan of that album...