The World Is A Thorn review by Demon Hunter

• Released: Mar 9, 2010
Demon Hunter: The World Is A Thorn

I've been a fan of Demon Hunter's Melodic, Hardcore infused, Metal since I picked up "Storm The Gates Of Hell" in '07 I also bought their other three albums and have more or less liked them all. One thing that I always wished that they would do is include more solo's in their songs, but Don and Ethan just didn't seem the soloing types. Don and Ethan left the band last year and I was worried that this would adversely effect the band for the worse. It Didn't. The new album has much more of a Thrash feeling than the older CD's, There's a solo on almost every song, (The Ones on Collapsing and This Is The Line Are my Favorites) The harmonized Guitar intro to 'Descending Upon Us' is also really good. They even throw in some gang vocals on 'This is The Line' which shows their hardcore influence but overall I'd say this is the most 'metal' album demon hunter has done so far, I only wish the songs were a bit longer.

Ryan Clark's lyrics have always been more taking a view of life from a Christian perspective than praise and worship, providing lyrics that Most everyone, Christian or Not, can relate too. His Vocals on this album are the best that they've ever been. His screaming has expanded to the lower and higher registers while his singing is the best it's ever been. That's one of the things I've always loved about DH, their vocalist can sing really well as well as screaming. Their are guest vocals on this album but I don't feel that they added much to the overall sound.

Overall I'd say this is Demon Hunters best album, The guitars have improved greatly, the Vocals have improved, the drums have a more groove metal feel to them and you can actually hear the bass in the mix now. Favorite songs are: Descending upon Us, This Is The Line, Collapsing, and The String mix of Driving Nails (Which is why you need to get the deluxe edition) LifeWar is probably the worst song on the record, it's too short and really choppy.

Mit Wasser
    Maybe I'm the only one who realizes this, but ther is nothing christian about real metal. This is just shitty core
    butlerc777
    @ Mit Wasser: Every "real" metal band has some sort of message they're giving to the listeners, even if they don't say it right up front like some do (and even if the listeners don't get it). If a metal band is trying to send a Christian message, does it automatically qualify for getting ragged on?
    football_frog2
    Jon777 wrote: metalheadTim wrote: any music or media that relates itself to a gospel band or christian denomination is ridiculous. It defeats the purpose of the religion in many ways. meaning, demon hunter sucks. Open your closed mind. And close your open mouth.
    Nice August Burns Red reference! That's a cool lyric. Anyways, I've given a few tracks on the new album a listen and I really like the new direction Demon Hunter has taken. I don't mind change, I have four albums of classic Demon Hunter.
    jesusismyr0ck
    i REALLY loved driving nails, i thought it was very beautifully composed and the lyrics were really nice, i really like metal and rocking out for God, But taking it down to really praise Christ even more..is just heart changing