The Return To Darkness Review

8.3
 9.1
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
The Return To Darkness Reviewed by: vanshaya, on january 27, 2010

Sound: My CD arrived a few (two) weeks ago, and this album has been getting quite a few spins lately. Combining elements of Death, Black and Symphonic metal, The Return to Darkness a little more than an hour long. Contrary to what one would expect considering the wide range of styles influencing the band and the length of the album, the songwriting is mature and compact, yet at the same time allows for musical variation. Unlike most symphonic metal bands, the keyboards really complement the riffs and fit the mood of the album, giving the 'brutal' sound of the band an epic overtone. The production is crisp and tight, although like most modern metal albums, the bass could have been much louder. The guitar tone perfectly suits the music and the drumming cannot be described in words other than extreme and highly tasteful. // 9

Lyrics: This album is based around a concept (which I shall not talk about in the review as it would not leave space for interpretation) and is lyrically the final chapter to the band's 'Darkness' trilogy. The lyrics are nothing unique or special and fit the criteria of what one would expect from an extreme metal band. Nonetheless, they fit the music. A wide range of vocal techniques is used, from low pitch death growls to mid-range black metal shrieks, which is evident in tracks such as Where Dreams And Darkness Unite, The Warrior's Return and Dismembering the Fallen. However, the clean/singing vocals in the album are not executed as well as the more extreme vocal styles are. // 7

Overall Impression: The Return to Darkness is certainly an improvement from their previous full-length, A Darkness Descend and improves on the aspects which it lacked, to be specific, better production, tighter songwriting, better sounding symphonic elements and overall, a much more mature sound. The album is consistently good throughout and there are no filler or 'meh' moments in the album. Tracks that stand out are 'The Warrior's Return', 'Where Dreams and Darkness Unite', 'Dismembering the Fallen' and 'Omega,I'. The Return to Darkness is highly recommended and a great metal album. My only complaints would be the lack of audible bass and some of the vocals in the album. If my copy were stolen or lost, I would defi...oh, wait. It won't be stolen or lost. There's no way I'll easily let go of a) a collector's item (since it's one of around 500 pre-order copies and b) an excellent album. // 9

Comments