Delta Machine review by Depeche Mode

• Released: Mar 22, 2013
Depeche Mode: Delta Machine

Depeche Mode are a renowned synthpop band who first introduced themselves to the music world back in 1980. Since their formation, Depeche Mode has gone on to create several chart topping tunes, such as "Personal Jesus", "Enjoy The Silence", and "Just Can't Get Enough", which have more than stood the test of time, and arguably more popular now than they were back in the day. Now, 33 years and 13 studio albums later, Depeche Mode mark their return to the scene with a new album full of new chart toppers and chorus chanters, all of which maintain the classic Depeche Mode element while also boasting a more matured overall sound. The new record, titled "Delta Machine", shows the prestigious new wave group doing exactly what they do best; synthesizer soaked tracks with just enough of a rock edge. One of the best examples off the disc, "Heaven" (appropriately also the album's lead single, is a moderately slow paced song that showcases pulsating electric percussion work and soaring lead vocals, and eventually picks up with more dominant synthesizer playing that falls more in line with the band's earlier works. It's definitely one of those songs that grows on you more and more after each listen, but for the most part its a solid effort, that leaves very little room for negative opinions.

Lead vocalist Dave Gahan gives a noteworthy performance throughout the entire new album. As any established fan of the band can tell you, Dave's vocals have always been a strong stabilizing and consistent factor throughout each one of Depeche Mode's albums. At times it's what saves a song from simply flopping, other times it's what drives a song above and beyond. When it comes to "Delta Machine", his singing is barely different. Overall he has maintained his singing style, and his range hasn't been noticeably affected as compared to other professional singers who've spent the past three decades in the business. My only critic is that I felt the vocal melodies on this album did fall flat a little bit. The deep group vocal melodies that was showcased in such previously mentioned hits as "Personal Jesus" I found to be disturbingly vacant on the album, I always appreciated and personally enjoyed this factor in Depeche Mode's earlier works and I felt is just what such songs as "My Little Universe" need most.

Overall, Depeche Mode give a fantastic performance throughout "Delta Machine", especially considering it's the band's first work in four years. Even though the vocal melodies aren't as pristinely featured as they were on the band's earlier albums, it doesn't take too much away from the overall listening experience. Any established fan of Depeche Mode should be able to passionately enjoy this new release, as if bears enough of that classic sound to appeal to both longtime and casual fans of the band.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

iommi600
    This gave me goosebumps at the first listen, such a sweet album. Can't go wrong with Depeche Mode.
    zaz5
    This is one of very few bands that stuck to their guns and stood the test of time and life.... Dave Gahan is brilliant as always.
    Zoltan1251
    great album but we all know they are mainly live band..... looking forward to see them play stadiums in summer
    Animadantis
    Fantastic Album! I feel this is much stronger than some of their previous releases, the end of "Welcome to My Word" brings me back.
    EANDM71
    I disagree with the "melodies" critique. I think the vocal melodies are superb throughout. (Listen to "Goodbye" for example.) Sadly Martin only sings lead on one song, and it's a song I don't care for at all. Oh, well...