Read Music/Speak Spanish review by Desaparecidos

• Released: Feb 12, 2002
Desaparecidos: Read Music/Speak Spanish

First off, it's better to relate this band to someone most people will recognize. Conor Oberst, singer/songwriter/record label owner/producer, main focal point of the "band" Bright Eyes and creator of Saddle Creek Records, is most likely the most familiar singer/songwriter of the 21st century, so it won't be hard to get people to recognize him. Now, onto serious business. Picture Bright Eyes in your mind. Some guitars and pianos, drums on occasion, but overall not a lot of rock sound, more acoustically focused music. Now get rid of that vision. The Desaparecidos are more or less Oberst's fantastic attempt at being a true rock artist. Leading the band as the singer, Oberst and his band of misfits created an amazing album, "Read Music/Speak Spanish" that blends Oberst's, ahem, "eccentric" vocal style with punk rock stylings and a tinge of "emo". Overall, the sound of this album is unlike any of Oberst's other work, but that's NOT a bad thing. This album sounds amazing to be honest.

Of course, with Conor at the head, the band's lyrics were well beyond expectations. Delivered with the passion that Oberst is saturated with, the lyrics are wild and crazy, soft and beautiful, and always having a point. The lyrics and music are like snakes, twisting around each other in harmony throughout the album, playing off each other's melodies with perfection. Of course, I'm exaggerating, but you get my point. Vocally, Oberst's style is an acquired taste, but if you like his voice and would like to hear him really belt out some passion, this album is definitely worth your time.

Comparatively, this is up to every standard Oberst has made for himself with Bright Eyes and Commander Venus. A truly amazing album built on almost childish riffs and angry noise, this is a must-listen for every Bright Eyes fan and any fan of noisy rock. My favorite tracks on the album would be "Man and Wife, the Former" and "Manana", but I also recommend "The Happiest Place on Earth". Honestly, when I first picked up this record expecting some Bright Eyes-ish material, I was almost pissed to listen to this-this-this abomination of music. But, two listens later I was not only enjoying it, I was telling all my friends about it. This is an amazing album and anyone who wants to hear good music should go buy it. Too bad this was their only album.