Cool To Be You Review

Descendents: Cool To Be You
Released: March 23, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk-Pop
Cool to Be You as a whole is soaking in the Descendents' realism and positivism ? their most enduring traits.
 8.7
 9.2
Cool To Be You Reviewed by: punked_182, on july 09, 2004

Sound: The record is full of pop-punk sounds, but also with a political twist which is seen in tracks such as 'Merican. The sound quality on this album is, as always with Fat Wreck Chords and The Descendents, very good. It's been mastered and recorded well, although on some tracks the bass is unheard. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are awesome, the singer, Milo, shows his full potential to write lyrics from the first song on this album. Milo's singing skills are as pop-punk as ever, with catchy melodies at every turn. The powerchords and bass parts fit perfectly with the lyrics and signing all the way thorugh. // 8

Overall Impression: Cool To Be You is the latest album from The Descendents, and although not their best album it still lives up to the quality of Everything Sucks and I Don't Want To Grow Up, however the quality of Milo Goes To College is still not surpassed. The album has 14 tracks, the best being Talking, Nothing With You or the title track Cool To Be You. If I did lose this album I would but it again, but maybe after buying Milo Goes to College. // 8

Cool To Be You Reviewed by: rancidrocker, on august 23, 2004

Sound: This is my first Decendants album so I really can't compare it to other albums. Their a little poppy but still have tons of talent. The bass is very easy to hear and give it kind of a Rancid or MxPx sound to it. There are also solos in almost every song. But sometimes I don't think the music quite fits the lyrics, also on some songs the rythm is a little shaky with the lyrics. // 8

Lyrics: The lyics on this disc are very good they've got "punk rock" lyrics, poppy lyrics and quite a few love songs. Milo's vocals are very good also, he doesn't whine like most of the other pop-punk bands singers. One of the othe cool things about the lyrics is that Milo, Karl (Alverz, bass) and Bill (Stevenson, drums) all right songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Listening to this I can diffently see where MxPx got their infuences from. The best songs on here are probably Nothing With You, 'Merican, Dog And Pony Show, Cool To Be You, Maddie and Mass Nerder. I love the fact the the bass can be heard along with the guitars, and that there are solos in pretty much every song. The only bad thing about this album is that sometimes I don't think the music fits the lyrics. If it was stolen or lost I would most diffently buy it again. // 10

Comments