Nevaeh review by Design the Skyline

• Released: Aug 16, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Design the Skyline: Nevaeh

From what I have heard of this album there sound is actually very good, there instruments all flow in well with each other most of the time although I will admit that there are times where the sound is pretty random and doesn't sound completely in line. There guitarists do have some very good breakdowns and riffs but sometimes they'll throw in a random sound into it (truthfully I really don't know what to call it) an example would be in "Crystal Swords Kill The Hordes" where there's that strange little sound they make with the guitars in the middle of a breakdown, but they are pretty good now although they could be better, but I see potential in the guitarists. They also threw some techno and synth into deathcore which I actually really happen to like because it's different and not a lot of metalcore and deathcore bands will do that, yeah sometimes they go overboard with it but in all I like it. The drummer is probably one of the best parts of the band because he seems a little more experienced, well, at least he seems that way but he's able to keep rhythm well with the rest of the group and I find it very impressive that he's able to stand out in a deathcore group like DTS because there's a lot going on in there music and it feels as though the drummer keeps it all under control, I believe this band has a good thing going and could become very good in later albums, but "Nevaeh" is pretty good though I wouldn't call it great. What I like least is that they use autotune which is honestly the worst thing that has ever happened to music.

The lyricism is probably the worst part of this band, some songs have pretty good lyrics but a good majority of songs lyrics don't make too much sense in this album, I hope in future albums they can correct the mistakes they made in the lyrics in this album. The best song lyrically in this album would probably have to be "Reality Away" because it makes sense. Ex: "The fuse has been lit the fire will never find the end of it" meaning they've finally made a good start in there career and it's not going to end any time soon. The singer is pretty good but nothing too special, I especially like there high screams because it just sounds good but I'm not too fond of the growls because it sounds too close to all other deathcore bands low growls. They've gotten off to a pretty bad start lyrically but they'll be much better if they can correct that in the future. Also, they need to drop the autotune, that also ruins the singing on top of the bad lyricism.

Overall I'd have to say this is a pretty good debut album, since it's there first album I wasn't expecting too much anyway, but they totally surprised me with how good they were. They have made a good impression on me. Sure it's not exactly on the same level as other deathcore or metalcore bands but they come close and they have a good thing going for them. I love how different it is and what actually made a big difference to me was the song Reverie which if you didn't know is an instrumental song and they made that song because a lot of people say they're just kids slamming on a guitar senselessly and they proved those people wrong by making a song where they showed their skills and basically just said hey, haters, we know what we're doing, so shut up. I also like the song "Witch Of The Woods" because I actually watched their commentary on some songs in the album and they actually said that they made that song just to release stress and anger by being turned down so many times and I like that they were able to make basically a song entirely composed of anger and hatred and still make it sound good. I love how they veer away from the average band and experiment and make something different, although I hate that they're lyrics don't always have meaning or make sense that's as I said the worst part of the album. This group is very young might I add and pretty inexperienced but overall I got a very good impression from this album, but still, they do need to drop the autotune, the overall rating from me would probably be an 8 if it wasn't for that dumb autotuning. "Nevaeh" is still a good debut album though.