The Healing Process review by Despised Icon

• Released: Apr 5, 2005
Despised Icon: The Healing Process

Wow, this band is absolutely brutal. Despised Icon is a Montreal deathcore band with two full-time vocalists, recently shot to popularity with the release of this record and playing with some big names (JFAC, Exodus, etc). These guys are doing what they do best, better than most similar bands in recent memory. You can easily hear the hardcore punk influence as well as the death metal, and they blend it well enough that I would hate for them to change their style.

There are two guys whose sole task is to handle vocals, and they like to mix it up. One has more of a hardcore punk-style scream, the other does the deep, guttural vocals. It works, really well. Lyrics, I'll have to look for them. The punk screams, I can translate a lot of those, but the deep ones are so guttural that I couldn't even hope to make them out. Oh, and they don't do a lot of the sick pig squeals, they will make it sound more like a wounded monster or something at times.

The whole album is truly awesome, the biggest highlight definitely being "Silver Plated Advocate," and there isn't really a whole lot I don't like about it. However, it's a fairly short album, and that's probably it's biggest flaw. Right now I really can't compare it to any other bands, it sounds too different. If it were stolen, I'd get it again, and if I found the guy who did it I would be sure to knock his ass out in a pit.