Eternal Devastation Review

Destruction: Eternal Devastation
Released: Jul 12, 1986
Genre: Thrash Metal
Label: Steamhammer/SPV
Eternal Devastation" is the second album by thrash metal legends Destruction, released in 1986. This album has all you can expect from a sick thrash metal album: crazy, fast riffs, really insane solos and some really aggressive drumming.
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Eternal Devastation Reviewed by: iommi600, on february 14, 2012

Sound: "Eternal Devastation" is the second album by thrash metal legends Destruction, released in 1986. Its sound is pretty similar to their debut, "Infernal Overkill", released in 1985. This album has all you can expect from a sick thrash metal album: crazy, fast riffs, really insane solos and some really aggressive drumming. Schmier's bass lines aren't really memorable, but surely he does his job very well. I also think the recording quality of this album is really good for a thrash metal album of the 80's, and actually, most of Destruction records are like this. It's rough enough to give it that crazy atmosphere of old-school metal, though. This 7 songs here just have the power to chop you in half if you are a thrash metal fan. Just a classic. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics here talks about many things. "Curse The Gods" shows the band's anti-religion stance, while "Confound Games" and "Confused Mind", as their title suggest, talks about an insane, or confused mind. "United By Hatred" is a story involving the Roman Empire, while "Eternal Ban" apparently talks about the 80's metal movement (like in "long haired crowd/is going their own way/they are invincible/if together they stand") and their contempt towards rules imposed by society. Also, "Life Without Sense" talks about society's contempt towards disabled/sick people (in my opinion, this is the highlight of this album when it comes to lyrics). Schmier's vocals here are just insane and really fits with the band's sound. Not to mention his maniacal high-pitched screams that never fails to amaze me. Really awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is sure thing a thrash metal classic, coming from the prolific 80's thrash metal scene that took place in Germany. It's a must have for any true fan of the old-school thrash metal, and also for any fan of heavy metal at all. In my opinion, "Life Without Sense", "Confound Games" and "United By Hatred" are the highlights of this album, but the whole album is above average. Something you can expect from a metal masterpiece, I would say. I am really proud of having this among my collection, and I will sure thing buy it again if I lose it or if someone steal this from me. Not to mention that I will feed my dog with the robber's flesh, of course. // 9

Comments