Dethalbum II review by Dethklok

• Released: Sep 29, 2009
Dethklok: Dethalbum II

If you've never seen cartoon networks show 'metalocalypse', then it may be hard to keep up with what is actually happening on this cd. Being the most brutal band on the planet leaves a lot to be desired from their albums, and let me tell you this is no dissapointment. Many songs from the show are turned into full length songs without losing their intensity and momentum; the first song Bloodlines (closing track when they travel to the amazon) keeps use of the tribal drums in that episode, and adds in great lead licks from Small. The most notable tv edit (imo) was Laser Canon Deth Sentence (first episode, giant spider, shooting convicts on rockets). This song I feel is the most intense song on the album, and easily became my favourite. It took the already brutal riffs from that scene and combined it with very harmonic lead guitars at parts and at other points Small's growl is actually audible and not just a droning snarl. Even the presence of Murmaider II: The Water God surprised me. As soon as I saw it I expected a dissapointment (Metallica's unforgiven 2) but was pleasantly surprised. It maintained the solid triplet riff of the original and then incorporated more melody, so in a sense sounded like a mix between the original Murmaider and Into The Water from the first dethalbum.

As like the last dethalbum, the lyrics are a joke. "I'm a rocket, a f--king weapon, of mass destruction, destroy the planet". The lyrics are all over-the-top metal, and if you pick up on them are sure to laugh at just how ridiculous they are. Small's voice still leaves something to be desired; he hasn't quite got the growl down yet but it is noticeably better than the previous album. In most cases however I tune out of the lyrics and just go with the song.

The Dethalbum 2 is definitely a great buy. It picks up on the intensity of the first album and the show and delivers nearly everything that is expected of it. Small's voice still needs some work, but when he is playing the way he does it is not a major concern. All in all this album is great, or in Nathan's words "blacker than the blackest black times infinity".