Dethalbum II review by Dethklok

• Released: Sep 29, 2009
Dethklok: Dethalbum II

Death Metal giants "Dethklok" release their second CD from [adult swim]'s hit show, Metalocalypse. First off, I like this CD more than their previous one. Everything just sounds... Better. Not that their first record sounded like it was produced poorly, it just sounds like their was way more polish and better equipment used on this record. Of course, I still can't hear the bass. Then again, it wouldn't be a Dethklok record if you could. Guitar harmonies and leads are extremely abundant on this album, and can be found everywhere in all of the songs. I also noticed a lot of use on the diminished scale on several songs throughout this album as well. Brendon Small really worked hard to create an actual, full fledged metal album, just as the last. Gene Hoglan lends his amazing drum abilities to this record to create some spectacular beats. In several of the songs, there will be some extremely fast double bass, possibly in 32nd notes, going for around 30 seconds to a minute straight. Very well put together musically wise.

My biggest complaint is that it's so hard to hear the lyrics in most songs. Not because of Brendon Small's death growl, but because it seems like the vocal tracks have been put down so far in the mix. Small's death growl as changed quite a lot from the previous album, but in a good way. You can actually understand him fairly decently in several songs, like in I Tamper With The Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin. Some songs just aren't as brutal as the last record though. They just don't have the same reflection of the show. Overall, the singing has improved, but it's harder to hear.

My overall impression is that I am definately more happy with this album than the last. The musical side is done extremely well. The vocals have been cut out of the mix slightly though, but it isn't that big of a problem. Great album, buy it, and die for Dethklok!