Dethalbum II review by Dethklok

• Released: Sep 29, 2009
Dethklok: Dethalbum II

If I'm like most people who bought the Dethalbum II, I'm not just one of those people that were looking for something new to listen to. I'm an avid fan of Metalocalypse and an even bigger fan of the music. Upon getting The Dethalbum a few years ago, I couldn't wait for the follow up to come out, and on Sept. 27 my wish was granted. Holy hell! The sophomore effort by Dethklok is so much better than The Dethalbum! It's got more power and better production value than the first record, as seen on such tracks as "Bloodlines", "Laser Cannon Deth Sentence", and "Murmaider II: The Water God". I must admit that there seems to be a little more use of electronics on this album, however it compliments the music very well. A perfect example of this would be on "The Gears". The use of the keyboard in it is very minute and to the point so as not to take away from the music as a whole. I was highly impressed with the level the guitars and drums were stepped up in Dethalbum II.

The lyrics are pretty typical of Dethklok, touching on the subject of murder, death, destruction, mayhem, and all things brutal. I know a lot of people would probably say that talking about a very small number of topics (especially when they can all be combined into one) is not very wise or appealing choice, it meshes with the instrumentation flawlessly. Dethklok fans will notice certain parts that were taken and changed from the first album, however they will not be disappointed with the use of the revised segments. I could not have chosen better topics to write about for these songs, regardless of what Dethklok is all about. One thing I will make it a point to comment on is the vocal style. No one can deny the power in the voice of Nathan Explosion, but what about the one that actually does the vocals for the songs, Brendan Small? He chose to actually use his voice on Dethalbum II as opposed to Nathan's, which I was incredibly impressed with. A lot of people have found that the change in the voice as foreign and unwelcome. I think it does even more for the music, adds another landscape to what was established, and makes it closer to what it sounds like played live.

It may just be the fact that I love the band, but I can't really find anything wrong with it. Dethalbum II is amazing! It blows the band's freshman outing sky high. The time, effort, and skill that was used to make this album as good as it is really shows. If lost, I would drop everything and buy another one immediately. If stolen, I would hunt the f cker down that took it, beat him within an inch of his life with a plastic spoon, shove a broken baseball bat down his throat, take his money, and then use it to buy another copy.