Dethalbum II review by Dethklok

• Released: Sep 29, 2009
Dethklok: Dethalbum II

The sound of Dethklok blew me away with the Dethalbum when it first came out, and I've been a huge fan of the show. Because of the comedy the show takes advantage of, I believe Brendon Small was afraid of letting the music shine through, but not here. In Dethalbum II, the sound of Dethklok is taken seriously and to a whole new level. They've evolved into something more, something heavier. The vocals are a bit different, now being more harmonized than they seemed to be and more yelling instead of the old growling in heard more often. The guitar riffs are very fast and tight with each other now and the drum work is beyond fantastic. Listening to the newer Dethklok has got me psyched for what the future will hole for this band, reshaping what I believe to be a lost art now: Metal

To be honest, I have no clue what Brendon sings half the time, but I read the lyric book. It's the same thing you'd expect from Dethklok if you have their debut album, but not so much just blatant death is written on every line now. It seems much more drawn out and epic. The lyrics seem to try and tell you a story with some songs like "Murmaider II", "I Tampered With Evidence at the Murder Site of Odin", and "Bloodlines". Like I said above, the vocals are more harmonized now than before so it really pushes your ears into feeling the vocals, which is a lost skill metal bands seem not to have.

This album is a must get for any metal fan, and beyond that, any fan of the show. If you loved Dethalbum than this will blow your mind, and it's new material, which is always good. The best songs are by far "Bloodlines", for the beautiful runs, "Murmaider II" for continuing the story of the blackened deep, "Volcano" for, I dunno, I just like it and "Burn the Earth". The main thing I've always loved about Dethklok is knowing how to build up to the climax of the song. I mean, they're not any "Go Into the Water" or "Awaken" but still they're not to be ignored. I think that Brendon needs to find the medium for the vocals and I'm very excited to see where he goes with them next time. By the way, if you do go to buy this, shell out the extra $5 for the DVD with some music videos, which are pretty brutal.

IDoCocaine
    DyingToFish
    i just wanna point out that Gene was a roadie for Slayer back in the day, and the whole triggers thing, I know for a FACT that in SYL he never used triggers and that stuff was more complex than dethklok. so in my opinion, to those who say he used triggers, prove it. as far as i know Gene Hoglans nickname is Atomic Clock and there is a reason for that. so just cuz the double bass part is fast in Laser Cannon, listen to shitstorm by SYL and u tell me that isnt faster! Lombardo is great, but Gene is greater haha
    [ LiAm ]
    i get what the last guy was saying about the vocals... i havent heard the album but Nathan sounds ****ed all through the second season. the first season was way better... not that i didnt like it. the band just seemed less... brutal i guess
    Mazzakazza
    korbhag wrote: What's wrong with everyone hating Laser Cannon Deth Sentence?? The "D-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-die!!!" part is the most brutal thing I've ever heard in a metal song!
    I love that bit, fast-firing spitting anger. it's great!
    The JesterHead
    ibanez_6784 wrote: dfisher_18 wrote: Who would give Dethklok a 7...seriously this album is amazing enough to be an 8.5 or higher well put, id give it something more than a 10/10 one of the many things that i dont like about Toxin94's review is the lyrics/singing part, he goes from Brendon Small to Nathan Explosion, yet Small provides Nathans voice (assuming that he has NEVER seen Metalocalypse)
    I don't get why people rate metal albums so high? I mean, I loved Dethalbum II, I love Dethklok, but seriously people... This is a great album, but what you're basically saying is that this is better than, say, Master of Puppets (just an example of a legendary album). The dude that gave this a 7 is probably the most realistic one here. Come on people, you can't just shower any album you hear with a 9.5, get real.
    Mazzakazza
    Also @Mr.Cinic (First review on the page) - I'm pretty sure they're not triggered double bass kicks, it's Gene Hoglan drumming, not Small.
    Borellus_
    Seriously . The first review is such wannabe-professionalism. Besides, not once is Gene Hoglan mentioned in the text. Mr_CiNiC:s little fanboyism over Dave Lombardo is also childish. You know, his skills have been surpassed already in the 80's, yet neither can I deny his influence over drumming.
    TJ the Gnome
    CptRevell wrote: It's a catchy metal album, if there is such a thing.
    Yeah, dethklok is surprisingly good at that...
    MotörHeadFan22
    I'd have to say i wasn't too pleased with Brendon switching his vocal styles, i mean i know it's death metal and i listen to a lot of metal, it just wasn't what i wanted from this album, i wanted to hear the Nathan vocals not Brendon Small... I'd say it was a decent album, no more no less.
    Alternacide
    This album exceeded my expectations greatly. This album deserves WAY more than a 7. So what if you can hear Brendon's vocals!! It's his music.
    Emerman
    I must say they do have really sweet instrumental parts (especially mad double kick), still don't love the vocals, sometimes i think it sounds like he's burping when he growls but still a good album.
    MetalUpYourRear
    I actually find the vocals do be waaaaay better than he first album. The again, I'm more of an old-school, high-pitched scream lover. Like Kelly Shaefer and Chuck Shuldiner. Oh, and "I tamper with evidence at the murder site of Odin" is definitely my favorite song on the album. I just love it!
    Mr_CiNiC
    Borellus_ wrote: Seriously. The first review is such wannabe-professionalism. Besides, not once is Gene Hoglan mentioned in the text. Mr_CiNiC:s little fanboyism over Dave Lombardo is also childish. You know, his skills have been surpassed already in the 80's, yet neither can I deny his influence over drumming.
    Oroborous
    Dude I love that part
    Borellus_
    Mr_CiNiC wrote: Write a better one. I'm not forcing you to read it, I just tried my best to write a decent review upon the day it was released, because I like this band immensely. And also? I borderline hate Slayer. I despise their reliance on demonic crap to get attention, their a bad shock-band at best, and Kerry King is the most obnoxious guitarist tonally in almost all of thrash. But Lombardo is still the best. ****s like you and your modern "drum god", Jordisson or whatever his name is, can't do 70% of Lombardo's speed, even though he uses triggers. And to everyone else who isn't a prick: How do you guys find "Cyborg Slayers" to be the best song on the album? I find it to be the worst. I love this album, but I detest that song's laser sound effects and how they have a guitar play along with his lyrics to make it sound like he's actually differentiating his vocal notes.
    Your review was decent, and no way I'd bother to write a better one, my intention was just to correct your false assumptions about master drummers. Also running down Slayer doesn't earn you any credibility here, especially if you praise their drummer the fastest after that. Besides, my "modern drum god" is ultimately Pete Sandoval, or "The Commando", but I don't suppose you have ever heard of him, have you? In the other hand Joey Jordison belongs to the same league with Lars Ulrich and such less skilled drummers.
    AfroVic
    Seref wrote: Only thing that makes me slightly dislike this album is that Skwisgaar's skydiving air guitar solo isn't in it.
    Brendon should have recorded all the solos like this.
    Mr_CiNiC
    Alright. No, can't say I heard of them. I don't go ridiculously underground with my taste in music, I just pick out some of the better bands. The drummer for The Faceless is cool. Thought it was a drum machine for a full month... >.>
    ellobo
    he's implying that the lyrics are so bad he doesn't even want to admit its the character Nathan explosion singing
    Tallywacker
    OK, personally, i think this album is amazing! though i do agree that the new vocals just dont seem like the dethklok i knew and loved, I see it as a welcome change, adding more varriety to the songs. i just hope brendon doesn't take the vocals to the extremes with Suicide Silence - esque highs and lows. im not saying those are a bad thing, im a big fan of them, i just dont think it would fit dethklok. the way i see it, they are taking a bit from older Lamb of god as far as the vocals are concerned. As for the guitar, skwisgaar will never cease to amaze me. I'm offen finding my self attempting to play some of the solos and quoting toki the whole way through "damn it skwisgaar, whys you gots to makes it so hard! Stupid slow stubby fingers, DONT LOOKS AT ME!" One big issue i had is they cut some songs from the album that appeared on the show. one of my biggest let-downs was when i heard that the song "Impeach God" wouldnt be on the album, much as how i felt when an extended version of "Crush My Battle Opponents Balls" wasnt on the first album (though the pure brutality of "Murder Train a 'Comin" made up for it) One more thing, and i may stand alone on this, but if you look up dethklok on wiki, it shows Pickles to be a backup vocalist, so why no song with some Pickles vocals? granted, i dont want a repeat of the song "Kill You", but i feel it blended quite well with the rest of the first album in the song "Hatredcopter" I dont know about some people, but i simply couldn't forgive myself if i didn't get the delux edition. having the DVD is just an added bonus to this brutal album. Intresting note for some of the songs there, "deth Theme" has a metronome count throughout the entire song, "duncan Hills Coffee Jingle" has a count down to it. kinda unneccisary, but makes it just a little easier to play along with for those who are learning to play dethklok songs. All in all, i would give this album a 10/10. there are some things that i am dissapointed about, but never the less, its an amazing album. I can't wait for the new season to start on sunday, i alredy have my DVR pre-set to it
    daniel22324487
    I am a very big fan of dethklok. this album is a big leap for them; as it shows the musical talent, and the amazing melodies that dethklok can provide. every note is placed so amazingly in with the other instruments; just asthetically pleasing to the ear in every way plausible. Regardless of whether it is cartoon based, thi album is, and will alway be METAL.
    Sewn Up
    I know I put a review of the album up, but I have to say it again. These people saying that the vocals sound too much like Brendan and not like Nathan. I have two things to say to them. First off, they're the same damn person! Two, have you even seen them in concert? The way the vocals sound on this album sounds just like they do live. It's been recognized by the creators of the music that there's a difference between the show and the live performance.
    dropdead
    I don't know what you're talking about, Cyborg Slayers is the BEST song on the album, then Laser Cannon Deth Sentence, then Mermaider II. I don't consider myself a bad judge of music, but what the hell? Somebody mind explaining how this isn't one of the most crushing, chunky songs on the album?
    Nirvana_Arthy
    To explain something about the nathan/brendon voice thingy. When i was listening to this album i reconised the Brendon voice (as one reviewer described it)It reminded me about the back up voice in Hatredcopter in the first album. When i saw the Music video of hatredcopter it was Pickles that was the back up vocalist to Nathan. And then i checked wikipedia, in there it states that Pickles is the back up vocals which could explain the diffrent voices in Dethalbum II. Well thats what i think.
    C. BRUCE
    OMG dethklok is the shit. the first album was amazing and then i got this one. this one is sooooo good. my fav song would have to be 'Blackire Upon Us'
    chelo666
    in my opinion this album kicks some major emo, cut my self with a pencil, ass! the reviews for this were very cruel and retarded. Toxin94 says that the 3rd solo on the song of Odin's death "The 3rd solo was just stupid" that's just ****ing cruel. I'd like to see how you feel if you made an album and read something like that and don't go " oh I don't care" I don't know about you , but I'd be disappointed. At least try to say it in a way that doesn't sound so cruel
    Petor
    This was a relatively helpful review, I could understand the points the author was trying to make, but I've gotta say it's quite poorly written. Numerous grammatical errors and some straight up incoherent sentences. Pretty rookie mistake to not edit your work, especially when it's going to be posted on such a popular website. Also, it seems like the author tried their hardest to criticize this work, but it still all came off as over-glorifying the band by a fan-atic. Dethklok would be proud.
    Braadhimself
    I want a Zazz Blammymatazz album haha With all seriousness, the Dethalbum II was great, so great I had to get it on vinyl to frame and hang on the wall. This album is especially a joy for someone who has watched the Metalocalypse TV series, listening to the tracks on the album brings back hilarious and brutal memories from the show. And for someone who hasn't heard of Dethklok or the Metalocalypse TV series, I still believe this album still holds some great listening value to fans of this particular genre.
    syl-rules04
    the toxin94 guy gave an incredibly crappy review. stop whining about nathan and brendons vocals because nathan isnt real. dethkloks first album is alot diffrent but this is epic! brendons growls are awsome and there are no emo screams, just brutal. a review shouldnt be as biased as that
    Mr_CiNiC
    voodooblues wrote: This is just a very purely written review. He doesn't seem to know what he's talking about in regards to the death metal or melodic death metal scene. The bass drums are triggered in ALL DEATH METAL. There is no way to get a consistent hit when you're playing constant sixteenth notes above 200 beats per minute. Second, that's Gene Hoglan on drums! Third, this isn't an imitation of metal. IT IS METAL. Just because its a pseudonym for Brendan Small himself doesn't mean that this music means nothing to him. This is his band, he writes the songs and finds people to play them...he's a more comical Chuck Schuldiner. There isn't anything wrong with this album, its crushing!
    Uh, yeah, I wrote that. As Blood Runs Black, "My Fears Have Become Phobias". That kid can do that double bass triggerless. Friggin' noob. Triggers are almost always used live, but truly skilled players don't abuse them as Gene does in "Laser Cannon Deth Sentence". I guarentee he COULD NOT play that without triggers. As for Gene being better than Lombardo? Seriously? God, man... Lombardo does the double bass on "Angel of Death" NO TRIGGERS in the recording. And he still can. God, $50 says you're just some loser who feels amazing cause he can play a Greenday song on drums, fresh out of Gene's dressing room, used and getting dressed again. Gene does well. Nothing phenomenal, WELL. But anyone with any intelligence can tell you he CANNOT touch Lombardo. And I don't even LIKE Slayer. Anyways, I forgot to mention the aweaome friggin' lyrics on "Symmetry"... Ahhhh, \m/!!
    voodooblues
    ingames
    First! Dethklok had some nice songs, they seem to have evolved by what I read. Straight metal up your ass is always welcome.
    RocknRollRay
    Metal Onslaught wrote: The first guy said "you can kind of hear some talent" with regards to the drums. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Gene Hoglan (the legend) on the drums? Good album, band sounds more matured, but I find myself listening to Dethalbum I much more. I find that by the end of Dethalbum II, Small's vocals start sounding less like Nathan Explosion, and more like Brenden Small with a voice modifier. Final note: wtf happened to all the signature sweeps and gratuitous solos?
    yeah gene is legendary but he didn't really stand out on this album, to me i was the vocals that were a little too much. If Brendon would have just shut up and rocked out more(like in the first album), this album would have been perfect.
    Metal Onslaught
    korbhag
    Aays
    To the dude who gave it a 7, what's with 'Nathan is here!! Oh wait, Brendon is in this song...' etc. Brendon does all the vocals, pal.
    hairy-southpaw
    Not too inventive, and undoubtedly inspired by Dave Lombardo.
    Uh, Do you have any idea who Gene Hoglan is? He drums circles around Dave, in his sleep.
    leony03
    Im deliberately waiting till january the 4th or whatever to get the special edition here in the uk. What is the deal with it being released so late here?
    Jondy
    volcano is epic as hell, and i tamper with the evidence at the murder site of odin has the best lead line i've heard all year.
    huevos
    IDoCocaine wrote: What the hell is with Toxin94's review. I know this album isn't perfect (no album is) and music is all a matter of opinion, but did he even listen to the album? Laser Cannon Death Sentence all over the place? Sounds pretty straight for to me. Oh well. . . to each his own.
    He lost a lot credibility when he mentioned Disturbed and Yellowcard. And this...
    this is definitely not a Dethklok song. Probably the best song on the CD so far.
    I'm not a fan of Dethklok (the show can be funny at times), but if you're reviewing a melodic death metal band, you should be somewhat familiar with the genre, at the very least.
    MXFNCK
    dude i was going to say that too. really awesome.
    ChrissyChiChi
    I cannot stand the production on this album or the last at all, the songs sounded good on the show but the production here just kills them instantly.
    DyingToFish
    lol it seems like everyone who said what their worst songs are, happen to be my favorite! lmao from my 5 fav's: Bloodlines, Volcano, Laser Cannon, The Gears, and Black Fire.I thought Gene was absolutly fantastic and if any other drummer did this album it would suck. Gene has the most unique timings in this album just like from any of the SYL albums. Small was AWESOME, vocals were just great and the guitars could never b better. The one i thought sucked the most was Symmetry cuz he didnt include the lead from the show that made it stand out during the fast part. It was ruined when he slowed it down and did a more upbeat tone :/ anyway, album is now in my fav"s, get it