Metalocalypse: The Doomstar Requiem - A Klok Opera review by Dethklok

• Released: Oct 29, 2013
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Dethklok: Metalocalypse: The Doomstar Requiem - A Klok Opera

Dethklok is the fictional band from the animated series, "Metalocalypse," but it is also the live touring band of Brendon Small (the creator of "Metalocalypse"). They have been touring and playing the music composed for the series since 2007, as well as releasing albums. Ironically, their debut album was the highest charting album from the death metal genre historically. Brendon Small has previously recorded the majority of Dethklok's material himself in the studio, but for the first time his touring guitarist, Mike Keneally, has joined him in the studio for the recording of the album (though, oddly enough, he is credited online just for vocals). Gene Hoglan performed the drum parts on the album, and Bryan Beller completed bass on the track "Blazing Star." The album, being an "opera" has vocals for multiple characters and several of the characters are voiced by guests such as Jack Black, George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Malcolm McDowell to name a few. "The Doomstar Requiem - A Klok Opera" isn't a normal type of album, so I won't be doing a normal type of review. Instead of going song by song, I'll just touch on a few specifics. The album is actually the soundtrack from the "Metalocalypse" special of the same name, and the album really is more enjoyable with the cartoon. There are 21 tracks, and the vast majority of those tracks are under 2 and a half minutes. The track "Blazing Star" was released as the lead single for the album mid-October. There are still some strong points from a strictly musical standpoint, but the album was created to go along with the actual animated special. The first thing that always surprises me about Dethklok is that even though they are technically a "virtual band," the music is seriously good. "Abigail's Lullaby" stood out on the album for me because it is like what you would imagine as a standard type of musical song except for the lyrics, which as Nathan Explosion would say, are truly "brutal." "Some Time Ago..." definitely has the best guitar solos from the album. The track "Partying Around The World" is a fun track, but not seriously musically relevant – it is much better with the "music video" or montage included on the animated special. I was enjoying several "Queen" moments on the album, which I guess would be hard to avoid in a metal opera. "The Duel" is a fun track, capturing an over-the-top guitar duel. "Before You Go" is a cool musical monologue by the band's manager which I enjoyed immensely for reasons I can't quite articulate. "Givin' Back to You" is almost a pop song but with elements of dance music or possibly industrial, which is actually pretty enjoyable. "Morte Lumina" is a lot more metal than a lot of the other tracks, but still with vocals from the animated characters, as well as some orchestral additions to the track. The lead single, "Blazing Star," is probably the only track that would fit (mostly) seamlessly on previous Dethklok releases. Also, the orchestral bits are exceptionally well done. The last 24 minutes of the album, titled "The DOOMSTAR Orchestra" is all orchestral music from the animated special.

As the vocals are actually the voices of the animated characters from "Metalocalypse," for the most part you aren't hearing a lot of death metal vocals but instead you're hearing a lot of singing in ridiculous voices – which is still fun. My absolute favorite guest vocalist on the album is Jack Black - he's seriously awesome on here. Of course, I still love the vocal lines performed in the voices of Skwisgaar and Toki. As a sample of the lyrics from the album, I don't see how I could choose anything except "Partying Around the World": "I feel this feeling/ and I think I'm unhappy/ since whats-his-face and whats-her name have been missing/ the mood around here has been crappy/ but as bad as it gets/ our duty is knowing/ that we have a job to keep this party going" with the next verse provided by Skwisgaar, "Crystals Meth! / My name is Skwisgaar/ (something something)/ drinks some brewskis/ and we'll get some smoothies/ then we'll get slurpies/ maybe gets herpes/ keeps the parties going/ keeps the parties going!"

Enjoying this album is completely dependent on the attitude that you approach it from. While the other Dethklok albums are more straight-forward melodic death metal (though the lyrics definitely ran towards the realm of the silly), this album is absolutely not death metal, though it does briefly touch on the genre occasionally. This album follows a definite narrative which is loosely told through the album, and is entertaining in its own right. Now, I have noticed that a lot of other metal fans aren't very open-minded regarding things that go against "metal purism" or whatever you want to call it, but if you don't enjoy this album then you probably don't have a sense of humor. If for no other reason that the orchestral parts, this album is seriously fun.

JSmith38
    Loved this. I couldn't stop laughing when I watched it and now I can't stop listening to it every chance I get. 9001/10 will listen/watch again.
    thebigredjj10
    This special took balls to produce. Just the very fact that Small managed to get this cartoon on the air is pretty extraordinary, but to do what he has done, wow. The original format of the show is one of the most unique shows currently on TV and it's hard to find any comparisons for the style. How often do you see metal (especially of the extreme variety of Death Metal) in TV or movies. It is quite rare, and to have a show completely based off the genre is fantastic. But after 2 stellar seasons he decided to change the format. While some fans didn't like the changes (I seem to be in the minority who really enjoyed the third season) one can't but help to applaud the balls it takes to reinvent the show with full blown musical numbers (such as Pickles rehab songs). But after four seasons he writes a full blown musical for the show. I applaud him for doing that. That takes guts and brilliance to pull that off. And the result? A fantastic and breathtakingly original product that is a must see for metal heads, music fans, and those who like their comedy served black. The only downside to this album is it now has about half of the music stuck in my head and I can't get it out. Can't recommend this enough!
    axelgarcia1
    i was disappointed because i was expecting Death Metal but then i remembered i was listening to a soundtrack and not a Dethklok album. i listened to it by itself though, i guess it'll be a lot better when i actually watch the special lol
    JSmith38
    do yourself a favor and watch that shit. after seeing it you will be amazed at just how much detail was put into the music and how great it fits with what he wanted to accomplish.
    derpdragon
    I just watched it last night and it's safe to say this is just the best. It reminds me of Devin Townsend's' Ziltoid album so much, but still so original.
    Novada
    Magnus and The Assassin is one of my favorite songs off the album, the combination the aforementioned two characters as well as Toki singing is really just enjoyable. Plus it's pretty flipping brutal.
    metalhead_99801
    i have not enjoyed television that much in a very long time. if you haven't seen the video to go with the soundtrack, do yourself a favor and track it down. in fact, don't even listen to any of it before you can watch it all together. seriously amazing. f-ing bravo brendon
    sca.smith
    To be honest, I was disappointed by it. Not massively so, it just wasn't my cup of tea. It felt incredibly rushed; the ending was basically "Oh, we've only got 2 minutes left? Ok, here's an endi-BAM" and the show's over. I was also hoping for a richer story throughout since I was under the impression that the show was going to answer more questions about Dethklok's history. I think Magnus and the Masked Assasin deserved more time on screen, I mean, look how *awesome* they were in the introduction! Jack Black needed to be let loose on this one, I think. I really appreciate anything Brendon does, since he's an incredibly busy and independent person, but I think this required more time and a bigger team to put together. If you're a hardcore Dethklok fan then it's certainly worth a watch - it's enjoyable, but don't expect anything quite as epic as the show itself or a Dethalbum.
    SleepFan
    I loved the special and the soundtrack sounds amazing from what I heard. But, why isn't Brendon Small releasing the soundtrack as a physical CD. Why the wait?
    JSmith38
    He is. I saw something either in an e-mail or on his website that he plans on doing one. He must have gotten all the rights to Dethklok from Cartoon Network. This was released on his private label that he did Galaktikon on (BS Records) which means he likely funded all the music and stuff on his own like with Galaktikon.
    SleepFan
    I hope you two are right. I love Dethklok and I'm constantly amazed by Brendon's work. I NEED THIS!
    JSmith38
    I have heard (through people on here) that he originally wanted to do 4 seasons and a movie but keep the music going. Well, that has been accomplished with Doomstar Requiem. Here is hoping he continues to release more and more Dethklok music. And I would effing LOVE to see another Galaktikon album. If you haven't listened to that it is a MUST for any metal head/ fan of Brendon Small.
    SleepFan
    Yeah I know about his original plans and I love Galaktikon. I was wondering solely about a physical copy of Doomstar Requiem. I guess it just takes awhile to get that shit together.
    JSmith38
    Not sure if you'll even see this but he posted on twitter he is aiming on a holiday season physical release.
    Skin_n_bones
    honestly, dethalbum III was not good compared to his last 2 efforts. The only songs that saved it was 'I ejaculate fire' and "Skyhunter', so i was worried that he must have just been running out of ideas. But holy F*** this movie was a metal masterpiece
    chadsmiff
    I didn't dislike it because it went against "Metal Purism". I just don't enjoy musicals across the board. There are a few I have, "Grease", "Team America", "South Park", "Muppet Movie"...etc. But this isn't one of them. It would be like "Star Wars" the musical. Ain't havin' that either. I just made myself watch it so I can keep up with the storyline. But, anytime rock or metal is turned into a musical is usually a FAIL. Kinda like Ska. While Reggae & punk are powerful on their own, mixing the 2 is indigestible. Same with Death Metal and Broadway...just doesn't work for me. I got through this episode by muting and adding subtitles. Success!!!