The Dethalbum review by Dethklok

• Released: Sep 25, 2007
Dethklok: The Dethalbum

Though this is definitely a heavy metal album, Dethklok manages to do what many metal bands fail at: Have a distinct sound. When you hear any song from this album you know it's Dethklok. Brendon Small (aka Toki Wartooth and Skwissgar Skigelf) guitarist uses some incredible playing on this album without being over the top. This album is in a low tuning (C) with lots of solos, mostly sweep picking solos. Every solo is good too, not annoying like other bands (Slayer for example). Most of the songs on this album you will recognize from the TV show ("Murmaider" "Go Into The Water" "Awaken" and the unforgetable "Thunderhorse" just to name a few). Overall, a very unique, heavy sound.

The lyrics are, of course, so brutal that they're actually hilarious. "You are most likely to die, at the hands of my arm, when I come fly and take off your face, with the front of my hatredcopter" For example. Funny, brutal stuff. The singer (Brendon Small, aka Nathan Explosion) does mostly very very low pitched growling, which at times is hard to understand what he's saying. But luckily, the vocals never get repetitive (on some songs Pickles the drummer sings, which is great).

Though they are technically a cartoon band, Dethklok is actually better than most real metal bands. Songs like "Awaken," "Duncan Hills Coffee" and "Go Into The Water" are simply epic. While "Hatredy" "Murder Train a Comin'" and "Hatredcopter" are some of the heaviest things to be heard. Unfortunately, there are a few filler songs ("Castratikron," "The Lost Vikings") The thing I love most about it is the low pitched, fast paced guitar work, and the sweep solos are excellent. If this were stolen or lost I would hunt the bastard down.