The Dethalbum review by Dethklok

• Released: Sep 25, 2007
Dethklok: The Dethalbum

First off, let me congratulate both Brendan Small (lead guitars/rhythm guitars/bass guitar/vocals) and Gene Hoglan (insane metal drums) for this masterpiece of an album based on a cartoon metal band, Dethklok. I think the Gorillaz just got pushed back a notch for the Best Fake Band contest with Spinal Tap being first, of course. The album is really about one thing in my opinion; make the most heavy, dark, violent and funny metal music possible, all of which it accomplishes very well. Here's a rundown of the songs: 01. Mermaider - incredibly heavy and dark, but it has actual lyrics, a new intro and a much better structure this time around. Not my favorite, but it's really good. 02. Go Into The Water - my second favorite on the album, this song now that it's gone through the studio sounds so much crafted than just the cartoon's version. With a slightly different distortion and actual drums, this song is one you will not easily skip through to get to others. 03. Awaken (Mustakrakish) - sounds very similar to the original version, but it has a longer intro and has a riff-laden bridge that makes the song much more listenable than the original. Also, it has an incredible solo. I like it. 04. Bloodtricuted - a fairly short but completely new song that you won't even recognize from the cartoon. In my opinion it is so much better, that there is not even a comparison. It's a typical metal song with plenty of open notes, mini-solos, and sweep-picking. 05. Go Forth And Die - this is one of the only songs that sounds almost the same to the original version, but like all the songs on the album, it is just better engineered, and has a new bridge that enhances the song tenfold. Unfortunately, this isn't a song that I enjoy listening to, but it's a Dethklok classic. 06. Fansong - I like this song a bunch because images of the episode keeps me laughing while I read the lyrics. This is much better than the original, but this song, to me, feels more like a filler song than most others. Don't get me wrong, it's got an incredible drum track and guitar solo, but it just didn't stand out that much to me. 07. Better Metal Snake - a brand new song for the album, it is definitely great! At first it feels like a "Slayer" copycat, but that feeling is away about twenty seconds in and is replaced with a very dramatic sounding Brendan Small riff. It also has classic 80's hair vocals in some places and as soon as I heard that I started tearing up from nostalgia to back in the day. 08. The Lost Vikings - another new song, that I'm sure was created to pay homage to Skwisgar's and Toki's Nordic heritage. It is an original song in all respects, but it doesn't have anything all that dynamic about it. It's a good listen. 09. Thunderhorse - I don't know why, but I guess the familiararity with this song and hearing it remastered and revamped made me so excited! It is a bit different, but in the best way possible! The lead guitar gets more emphasis, some drum parts and fills that weren't there before certainly add a new dynamic, and the way the song comes to a close makes you want to hit the "<<" button. This is my favorite song on the album, and surely a metal classic in the days to come. 10. Breifcase Full Of Guts - this time around, we have lyrics and mini-solos all over the place and a new section that turns this song into a beast of a metal song! This song and "Castratikron" are the most "headbang-y" (like my new word) of the album. 11. Birthday Dethday - this song is a whole lot of everything! Fast guitar, heavy riffs, and solos. But then this song was dedicated to Murderface so it has no choice but to melt your face with crazy, insane metal. The point I'm trying to get to, is that banging your head along to this song, you will snap your neck. Very Slayer-esque mini-solo that I love, and has a goofy ending. 12. Hatredcoptor - I love this song so much! It has a Randy Rhoads feel at times, which I was very impressed with. The only thing I don't like is the occasional Machine-gun snare thingy. It bothers me, but when the bridge/solo comes around, it really makes you wish this song was on GH3. I'll catch myself air-guitaring to this in the car on the way to work and that is why this is a great song. 13. Castratikron - this song is not a new one, it's from the "Girlfriendklok" episode. When I first heard the song on the cartoon, I tried everywhere to find this song on the internet but it wasn't anywhere. I am so glad that it's here in all of it's brutal and riff-laden glory. Like I said before, this song is perfect for headbanging and rocking out, so if you get the album, do it. It's amazing. 14. Face Fisted - an incredibly funny, violent and brutal song, I think that this song personifies what the entire album was trying to achieve. It could actually pass for a serious metal song and should definitely get radio play at some point. But if it doesn't I won't be sad in the least because I bought the album! 15. Dethharmonic - the classic orchestrated intro to the metal anthem that really should be performed with a live orchestra sometime soon. The violin's were played by Emilie Autumn and she does a phenomenal job at helping create this metal beast and make this song the most powerful on the album. 16. Bonus Track - this is the theme song, and it is now a beast of a song that should definitely be a full-length song, but I can live with listening to it over and over again.

The lyrics were made for a comic effect for sure, and Right off the bat I'm going to say that if you don't like the Nathan Explosion growl, then you may have some trouble getting through the album. If you like to take your music seriously, then yes, it will disappoint. I want it to be clear that I love the comic quality of all the songs. But really, there is no way to pair any set of lyrics to most of the better made songs. Like Thunderhorse, for example. How can you put lyrics with something that can command with it's music alone? How could lyrics make that any better?

Overall, I was completely impressed, and blown away with the amount of musicianship put into this Album. When I first heard about "Dethalbum" I thought of it as more of a novelty and I was just going to get it for the sake of saying "Yeah, I got it, haha, I'm a dork" without intent of listening to it all that much. But the CD hasn't left my car yet. I think what I am most impressed with more than the music or it's comical qualities, is the dedication of Brendan Small to this CD. He seriously could have put the songs on with fake drums and simple structures and not nearly the amount of solos, and the album would have sold just as well. But the use of actual drums, the many many layers of quality engineering and the lyricism (oddly enough) make this a great buy. I am not in the least disappointed, and am probably going to get the enhanced version very soon!

StringGuru
    zackvalo16
    it's so much more BRUTAL than the songs in the show!!...BUT! they forgot..Sown Back Together Wrong..lol...
    guitarman341
    Lol, I'd never heard of them till I heard 'Thunderhorse' on Guitar Hero. Crackin song to Guitar Hero to.
    ChrissyChiChi
    I have to say i was very very dissapointed in the album, i thought the songs sounded many times better on the show, from what i hear its a love or hate it thing, personally i really didnt like the way it was produced, the songs were dramatically slowed down and i really really didnt like the guitar tones at all, i thought they were horrible. Go into the water in particular was sad to hear as on the show the intro chord progression sounds so epic and brutal but here it just sounded very lifeless and dull. It also stuck out alot to me that when they were origionaly written it was only to be shown in small segments so the main riffs ie the bits shown in the show are fine but there is a lot of very simplistic and boring filler riffs.
    adamdrulz
    Stolenidentity1 wrote: "Tasty hammer-smashed face"-nathan explosion, the curse of dethklok
    that is a cannibal corpse reference
    nrich
    StringGuru wrote: So, is anyone else thinking that Brendon Small should make an hour and a half long cartoon featuring Dethklok at a Concert and tour with it? That's just me...
    There's plans for a tour, and I wouldn't doubt that it'd most likely be in the style that the Gorillaz play their live shows. It should play out fairly well.
    NNoodleNose
    I love the show and the music on the show, but I did not enjoy the album as much as I thought I would. First off, all of the songs were slowed down, and second I preferred the original solos over the ones in the album which were some what the same but with parts cut up, thrown out, and re-ordered.
    jagstang365
    its pretty sad how a fake band can destroy almost every single heavy metal band out there. Dethklok rules!
    Wulver
    Hey, I'm not really one for metal (at least, of the modern black/death variety), and I still gotta say I love the show. And I find the music actually decent, as well (especially whatever song was playing during Season 1's finale, excellent melody behind that one)
    Stolenidentity1
    deaththrashcore wrote: Detharmonic = some of the most epic shred I've heard in ages. Bloodtrocuted is just br00tal lololol. This album is worth getting, anyone who says otherwise is either an emo or retarded. Or both Retarted, maybe, but even the Emos (at least the ones I know) can't say no to this masterpeice.
    yeah the "emos" at my school love dethklok...maybe dethklok will be our saviors from the emo fad! this album is pwn in your face m3tALz "Tasty hammer-smashed face"-nathan explosion, the curse of dethklok
    postmortem2006
    Hot Fuzz wrote: Dethklok Movie anyone? Omfg. That would pwn everything.
    Of course it would - it'd be the Dethklok movie!!
    x_Dunkelheit
    I'm not going to lie, this album is a ****ing kick in the balls, it's god damned excellent.
    HeavyMetaldude
    Yeah i know an emo who likes Dethklok. Bloodtrocuted and Face Fisted are so ****ing brutal.
    Rattlehead1994
    SamRidings : i do cocaine
    Kekekekekeke Yeah!!!! Where can I buy the 2-disc edition online? I live in the Netherlands and they don't sell Dethklok here.
    XenititesX
    i remember on an episode they made a reference to dimmu borgir, nathan was working at a fast food place called "dimmu burger" and me and my friend laughed for hours.
    blakiss
    Oh My Goodness. A Dethklok movie would definately be the greatest thing ever created. The Chorus in Hatredcopter sounds like Dave Mustaine Singing, i guess its supposed to be pickles... but its a great song
    Kw1q51lv3r
    postmortem2006 : Hot Fuzz wrote: Dethklok Movie anyone? Omfg. That would pwn everything. Of course it would - it'd be the Dethklok movie!!
    I'd be disappointed if they didn't include a full concert in that.
    KnivesIsEvil666
    this is an awesome album.you can tell that brendon is a morbid angel, immortal, and emperor fan because it sounds like those bands with a little gothenburg death metal. i just wish he would've done a full version of "Crush My Battle Opponent's Balls" because that was one of my favs from the show
    JXjizo
    I agree with StringGuru. I don't think you should say something bad about these reviews, i think they are great.
    SvnStringMaster
    remember blood ocean??
    StringGuru
    Hey SilentGhost, when did you all of the sudden become the "Metal Music Review" God? As far as I knew all you needed to review something was the CD, not an extensive metal knowledge. While were at it, since you OBVIOULSY are the metal-go-to-guy, where's your review?
    frosty_frost09
    [quoteMarkMorton: Bloodtricuted is like one of the BEST songs [/quote] Yeah, that song kicks ass. Though my favorites would havew to be 1. Go Into The Wtaer 2. The Lost Vikings 3. Thunder Horse 4. Bloodrocuted I love this album and I love the show
    SilentGhost
    A lot of these reviews are just terrible. I just skimmed through it and I saw these two: "This is the most brutal album I headbanged to" and "Lyrics? You can't really understand what he is saying" Both of you haven't listened to enough metal to be reviewing this album. Aside from the horrible reviews, this is a pretty solid album. Kinda feels like Children of Bodom guitars with Bloodbath, only funnier.
    Jester.Race
    I got this on Friday after reading the raving reviews on here, and I was disappointed. Granted, I've only seen the show once so maybe I didn't pick up on the jokes, but it seemed pretty generic to me. The drumming was sweet, and very tight, and the guitar playing was good, but it seemed a little redundant.
    frosty_frost09
    Very awesome CD! I think everyone that doesnt have it should go an dget it. It's a great listen!
    Nelshizzle
    It's like the show lived up to them being absolutely great. This album ****ing owns.
    postmortem2006
    SvnStringMaster wrote: postmortem2006 wrote: Hot Fuzz wrote: Dethklok Movie anyone? Omfg. That would pwn everything. Of course it would - it'd be the Dethklok movie!! remember blood ocean??
    Oh yeah I remember that Alright, point taken. Still...
    deaththrashcore
    cakezilla
    For the record, a lot of the album (if not most) is in C Standard tuning (Standard 2 Steps Down)... now drop C.
    Bootsy 4 Prez
    This is the most brutal album ever released. Bloodtricuted is downright pwn you in the face metal.
    RHCP603
    Go DethKlok! Pickles, Nathan Explosion, Swisvgar (I can't spell it), Toki Wartooth, and William Muderface Muderface Muderface. I love the songs, they always keep me laughing the whole way though.
    xOpifex
    I checked the billboard top 200 charts, looks like this album debuted at number 25!
    JC13
    Haha, yay it got accepted.. I submitted this a week ago and thought it might have been denied. Great album.