The Dethalbum review by Dethklok

• Released: Sep 25, 2007
Dethklok: The Dethalbum

Now, I have to say; when I first bought this album on iTunes, I was skeptical. I am a pretty big fan of the show, but I just didn't think that Small could make a GOOD metal album. Two minutes and 40 seconds into the first track, and chills were going down my spine: the sheer power and depth of the songs is almost indescribable: Brendon Small created what in my mind is a true Dethklok album: it's loud, guttural, and it has parts that every self-respecting guitarist should learn and be able to play by heart (among them are the previously mentioned riff from "Murmaider", along with the chorus riff to "Thunderhorse" and the verse riff from "Fansong"). But, as previous reviewers mentioned, the vocals are the weak link here: Brendan sounds inexperienced as a vocalist, preferring to show off his Berklee-honed guitar skills, which have their own well defined sound, along with enough sweep picking and down-tuning to make the average gutiar-player weep as he looks on in agony of the music for songs like "Better Metal Snake" or "Thunderhorse".

As previously mentioned, the vocal delivery is the weak link on the album. The lyrics, however, are one of the strongest points on the album: they are funny, self-referential, and in some cases quite complex. Small gives every word he says a bit of death metal cred, whether he's talking about Dethklok's fans or murdering mermaids.

Overall, even if you're not the biggest death metal fan, this album is a must have. It's well produced, if not a bit too loud, every instrument is audible (even the bass, which, according to Nathan Explosion himself, is "mixed out of every album"), the drumming is wonderful, the songs are catchy (I still find my self humming parts of Tunderhorse), and the album is an almost unmissable explosion of riffs, headbanging, and overall brutality. If you don't get whiplash after listening to this album, you're not listening to it loud enough: from beginning to end, it's a headbanger's circus, with plenty of songs in which you can imagine a mosh pit filled with people just as into the song as you are. A must have.

sinister2491
    rokstar666 wrote: Dethklok kicks soooo muuuuch asssss..... They shud have a mother laserphucking lightshow....ya kno?
    hellz yea
    postmortem2006
    re-listened to this again recently, REALLY impressed all over again. I wish I could play that fast on my grandpas guitar