The Dethalbum review by Dethklok

• Released: Sep 25, 2007
Dethklok: The Dethalbum

Let me start of by saying that Death Metal is not my forte. However, I opened up to the genre after watching the show Metalocalypse for the first time. The next day, I went to my local music retail and I see "The Dethalbum" sitting right in front of the album I wanted to buy. All in all, it was a match made in heaven (or maybe hell?). If you're going to by the album, make sure you get the "Deluxe" edition with all 23 songs. The album kicks off with a crunchy song about being killed by mermaids, a staple for any good metal band. The water theme ties directly into "Go Into the Water", which has one of the most brutal harmonies ever. "Awaken" really starts the ball rolling with the song about bringing an ancient demon back to life. "Bloodtrocuted" sticks it where it hurts with a song about being killed. "Go Forth and Die" is incredible, mainly because I'm in college right now, and it seems to fit the mood. "Fansong" is a song about how the band hates the fans of the show. If you've seen the show and how disgustingly ugly everyone is, you'd see why. "Better Metal Snake" is the odd one out, with clean lyrics for the chorus. "The Lost Vikings" is mediocre. Probably the most popular Dethklok song "Thunderhorse" is incredible in every sense of the word. Amazing melodies, and minimal vocals. Just what the metal doctor ordered. "Briefcase Full of Guts" is about killing. "Birthday Dethday" is about dying on your birthday. "Hatredcopter" raises the question of whether Dave Mustaine sings on the song. "Castratikron" is a song about being castrated by an evil godess. "Face Fisted" is about death. "Dethharmonic" has some lovely melodies, yet it is still a song wanting someone to be dead. "Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle" is insanely kickass, with a memorable solo and catchy vocals. "Blood Ocean" is awful. "Murdertrain a'Comin'" is a song about everyone dying. Hilarious, brutal, depressing, and awesome. The solo is over a minute. "Kill You" is a tribute to the band "Snakes and Barrels" which was Pickle's the Drummers original band. It's not hard to figure out what that song is about. The final song, "Hatredy" is also about killing. Metal heads will love it. Comdey lovers will love it. Adultswim junkies will love it. It's no doubt that Dethklok is one of the new masters of metal, almost surpassing their idols.

Every song is about death. All of the songs contain Nathan Explosion's gruff voice. However, most of the songs are silly enough to confuse anyone. That is, if you can understand what Nathan is singing. My favorite lyrics on the album are probably in "Hatredcopter". Mainly because the other singer sounds like Dave Mustaine.

Comparing it to other death metal? This album blows it all away. If you can combine black comedy, metal, and stupidity and get away with it, you're a better person than I. The only flaw with the album is that all of the songs sound alike. But that isn't a problem, especially if you're a bona-fide metal head. It's a good album, whether you like it or not. Stayin' Alive, Selig.