Device review by Device

• Released: Apr 9, 2013
Device: Device

Track list breakdown: 1. "You Think You Know" - This song is a decent album opener, but a very typical song for Device. It is nothing outstanding, but a good song. 2. "Penance" - My second favorite track on the album. I think that this song is on par with any of Diturbed's best works. Draiman's vocals are very strong on this song. 3. "Vilify" - The lead single off of this album. This song would probably be a B-side on any Disturbed album. The vocals are typical and get repetitive after listening for more than one chorus. 4. "Close My Eyes Forever" feat. Lzzy Hale - A cover of an Ozzy Osbourne duet. On this track, Draiman has good vocals, but Lzzy brings a new dimension to this song. One of the best songs on the album. 5. "Out Of Line" feat. Serj Tankian - My favorite song on the album. I think that Draiman's vocals are at their peak on this song. The instrumentals are solid, and Serj is great. 6. "Hunted" - While the first five tracks are very solid, the second half of the album is typically just ok. This song is typical Draiman. It sounds kind of like a filler and is good, but not as good as what Device is capable of. 7. "Opinion" feat. Tom Morello - First off, Tom Morello is a great guitarist, one of the best of all time. That said, this song is average. Morello does add some to this track, it is not enough to save it. 8. "War Of Lies" - The worst song on the album. Absolutely boring and uncreative. 9. "Haze" feat. Matt Shadows - One of the only songs in the second half worth listening. M. Shadows really does add a lot to this song. His vocals match perfectly with Draiman's making this an interesting listen. 10. "Through It All" feat. Glen Hughes - An average closer. While it is the longest song, it is not the best, and gets boring after 2 or 3 minutes.

Basically, it's typical Disturbed lyrics. Draiman growls lyrics very much like he does on "Asylum" or "The Sickness", and with very similar vocal patterns at that. However, the vocals get interesting when Device brings in guest vocalists such as Lzzy Hale, Serj Tankian, and Matt Shadows. These vocalists bring some much needed variety to the quite repetitive vocal patterns. Overall, the lyrics on this album are basically Disturbed reincarnated, but the guest vocalists really complement Draiman's vocals and keep the lyrics from getting too repetitive.

First off this album is very similar to a Disturbed album, so if you don't like Disturbed, you probably won't like this album, minus a few tracks (most notably "Close My Eyes Forever"). This album sounds like a heavier version of "Asylum". The first half of this album is great, but the second half is quite lacking. The guest vocalist really are the ones who keep this album from falling into mediocrity. Draiman's strongest solo songs are "Penance" and "You Think You Know". Besides that, his songs are average at best (namely "Hunted" and "War Of Lies"). My favorite tracks are "Out Of Line", "Penance", "Close My Eyes Forever", and "Haze". Die hard Disturbed fans will probably love this album, but the casual listener will find it weak and repetitive at times.