Blessed & Cursed review by Devil Sold His Soul

• Released: Jul 12, 2010
Devil Sold His Soul: Blessed & Cursed

There isn't many bands that can do what Devil Sold His Soul do, and that has to be why they are one of, if not the best UK metal bands on the scene at the minute. 'Blessed and Cursed', Devil Sold His Souls latest release backs this statement up 100%. Originating from a former band called Mahumodo, Devil Sold His Soul have clearly stuck to a formula and a sound that comes natural to them, and Blessed snd Cursed is no different. The Album was released on Century Media Records, 12th July 2010 and included 10 tracks. Devil Sold His Soul's sound is based around an Ambient Post-Hardcore direction, floating between intense riffs to slow ambient sections with lots of layered guitar parts, to a huge roaring chorus with lots of technical bits in between. Compared to the previous EP and album, as you'd expect, the sound quality is much improved a long with the guitar tones, and drum sound. It is clear to hear that the Devil Sold His Soul boys have experimented with the sound of the band, but not strayed away from 'their' sound.

In Devil Sold His Soul's Previous album and EP, I wasn't a huge fan of Ed Gibbs vocal style, but this album, I understand why he fits into the band so well. It's his ability to change the mood of the song with just his vocals. His intense, angry style of screaming is one of the best out their, followed by his very impressive singing range. Some may find his vocals slightly whiny, and maybe a lot boring, but I think this is why his voice fits so well. As far as Lyrics go, I've heard a lot better, but it's Ed Gibbs ability to make what he says, work and believeable, and for me, that is a very important part. A lot of his lyrics talk about failure and death, along with self evaluation.

This album has been one of my favourite bands this year, mainly due to how original it is and in the overall metal genre, few bands can actually achieve that these days. Some people would compare them to Deftones or a lot of post-hardcore bands out there, but in my opinion, Devil Sold His Soul are in a different league. There are some things I don't like about the album, but there is only 1 or 2 albums I've ever listened to that I wouldn't change. My personnal favourite track of the album has to be 'Frozen', with it's slow emotional start, leading to one of the most intense endings I have ever listened too. I recommend that you get this album, and listen to it carefully, because I fear that their maybe many bands in the near future trying to do what these guys do, just no where near as well. It's well worth a listen.

Amuro Jay
    LessThanLuke wrote: Are the vocals still mixed insanely quietly for no apparent reason on this album?
    Nope Great band, great album. Nice to see them getting some recognition here.
    oxymorcide
    This album has been one of my favourite bands this year
    What? No, I'm just being prickish. Review sounds good, will check them out.
    etceteranough
    Ok, first off, never heard of this band. Checked out a few of the songs on this CD (Frozen, Callous Hearts, Drowning/Sinking). Really like every one of those songs, going to have to get this CD. Thanks for posting this.
    AngryGoldfish
    I love this band. They're one of my favourite metal bands of all time. I actually love the quiet vocals from their previous two records.
    Hells.Mascot
    First four words: "There isn't many bands..." Jesus. Better than average bands like this that deserve some recognition have little hope with guys like that reviewing their releases.
    Xx__benji__xX
    Sorry for the crap grammer and that! did it in a bit of a hurry! And to Hells.Mascot: if you read on you'll see that is says: "here isn't many bands that can do what Devil Sold His Soul do, and that has to be why they are one of, if not the best UK metal bands on the scene at the minute."
    MauriceD
    Disturbdkornkid
    metal4life34 wrote: tl;dr
    So I can't help but notice that every review on the front page is too long for you. Are you an attention ***** or just illiterate?
    CarlosHigg
    MauriceD wrote: The purpose of a review is to let someone know what the thing that's being reviewed is like. This review (Although some minor grammatical mistakes) made me download the album from the web - job done.
    As long as you didnt steal the album that is
    travislausch
    I wanted to like this based on your description, but I got sludgy guitars mixed with post-hardcore vocals, and songs with no real direction or climax. I've never liked post-metal, so no surprise that mixing hardcore vocals and labeling it "progressive" is still not going to make me like it more. Sorry, I just can't see the originality in this.