Blessed & Cursed review by Devil Sold His Soul

• Released: Jul 12, 2010
Devil Sold His Soul: Blessed & Cursed

First of off, this is my first review Devil Sold His Soul are one of the first bands that can truly claim themselves as having a sound that is truly unique and their own. After hearing Crane Lake a while back on their My Space I was impressed that they carried on the same direction that they did on A Fragile Hope but wondered why the vocals werent as weaved into the mix like the last album which was something I found strange yet refreshing. After hearing the opening track I sat up and turned my headphones up, This is a band that can only be appreciated while listened through on headphones because everytime you hear the album you can pick up something new and interesting. The whole album has a way of keeping you interested from start to finish. This album truly is worthy of earning the title of innovative.

The lyrics although can't be heard for the first time but once you read them and listen again they become very easy to pick out and they are really worth a read. The lyrics are very heartfelt and you can always hear the pain and emotion that Edward Gibbs tries to put across. Ed also has a great way of making his voice blend with overdubs, namely in the one part of Drowning/Sinking where just underneath the scream you hear just a whisper of clean singing that make the section even more pronounced and beautiful. Another thing about Devil Sold His Soul is the boldness to try new things, another great example would be the choir used in Drowning/Sinking that truly brought the track even more to life than already done. Ed truly has a way of creating some truly beautiful melodies with his voice that make him a great vocalist and he never fails to make at least one part of a song stand out and make you want to rewind just to ear that melody. This time with the vocals being mixed more upfront make it a different experience than A Fragile Hope but still you will find yourself lost in the mix nonetheless.

This album is easily for me the best album to be released this year, other contenders for the album of the year title would be the new as I lay dying as well as the mutiny within album. Its hard for me to nail down one song that truly stands out because every song is unique in its own way and it will be unfair to the rest of the masterpiece that is "Blessed and Cursed" If you are interested in an album that truly is impressive for any fan of heavy music. I am a big fan of straight up metal, old school classic rock and this band is one of my favourites.

ckragh
    Sounds great! I really really like that more rock/metal bands are integrating ambient stuff into their music. For example I absolutely love Viatrophy and the ambient tracks in their album is definitely a main factor for that, just too bad they broke up... Anybody know any other metal bands that largely incorporate ambient into their music?? I have a ambient rock project of my own http://www.myspace.com/auraofaurelia (not sure if I'm allowed to post that here, sorry) and I'm searching for something like that but with much more metal in it! Anybody know any bands like that? Thanks.
    ckragh
    oh and for the same reasons, love the newest Receiving End of Sirens album. Great ambient integration into the post hardcore, love that..
    disembodied
    Xx__benji__xX wrote: Sorry for the crap grammer and that! did it in a bit of a hurry! And to Hells.Mascot: if you read on you'll see that is says: "here isn't many bands that can do what Devil Sold His Soul do, and that has to be why they are one of, if not the best UK metal bands on the scene at the minute."
    no bmth is! lol just kidding they suck. looking foward to hearing this ha