DevilDriver review by DevilDriver

• Released: Oct 28, 2003
DevilDriver: DevilDriver

Coal Chamber was huge - Meegs had one of the loudest sounds on a sevenstring I've ever heard, and Rayna had such a bass that you could not believe. The bitch, breaking up Coal Chamber and all. Now, I was more than impressed in this album. Obviously, they haven't dropped the low tunings and shredding distorted licks. What more can be said? They're an incredibly fresh helping of true heavy metal. Check their official site (http://www.devildriver.com/) for free MP3 demonstrations of some of their best songs!

The lyrics aren't as strong and as intense as Coal chamber, but they definitely make an impact in variaty - the only song that I can think of that's repetetive is Swinging The Dead, which makes up in it's intense and driven sounds. While they aren't anything groundbreaking, they still work to make enough noise to make you need new windows.

For atleast a few years, I've been a big fan of Coal Chamber. The first song I ever heard by them was 'Fiends'. This was back when I didn't play guitar, when I was musically inept (well, when I had yet to discover that I was a little bit of a natural), so I didn't keep up with news. When I heard that they broke up a year after they did, I was heartbroken. They made a huge impression on me. Songs like 'Anxiety' and 'Loco' made a low sevenstring and breakthrough vocals even more impressive than Korn could have ever done. Not long ago, I bought the Resident Evil Apocalypse soundtrack. There, I heard 'Digging up the Corpses', and discovered DevilDriver. Oh my God. They blow Coal Chamber out of the water. They're more my style - less sensitive, constantly screaming rage music. They're the best way to let your anger out. Compared to the old Coal Chamber, DevilDriver takes heavy metal to a whole new meaning. 'Swinging the Dead', 'I Dreamed I Died', and 'Devil's Son' are absolutely unbelievable. If you liked Coal Chamber and you're an all-around metalhead, you need this album. Now. Stop reading this. Go get the damn album!

oh... THAT guy
    I Got The Last Kind Words First, Then The Special Edition Fury Of Our Maker's Hand And I'm Going To Get This Tomorrow
    Afroviking
    Actually this is my favourite album, but i'm also a guy who loves lamb of gods burn the priest album, ashes of the wake and the older more gritty stuff rather than the highly polished, and slightly less experimental stuff.