Pray For Villains review by DevilDriver

• Released: Jul 14, 2009
DevilDriver: Pray For Villains

Wow. What can you say about this one? I have heard every song off of here without downloading a leak (stupid). I am pretty sure I can make some accurate statements here. DevilDriver have most definitely upped their anty here. Everything here is layered incredibly thick. It sounds great. No raw, unproduced LoG sound here. The boys on guitar have stepped up. This time around they've topped riffs from "The Last Kind Words" with heavy as hell power chord riffs and the same old groove metal riffs. Not to mention some songs featuring some sweet as hell solos and sweep picking sections. Johnny B. On drums is still kicking ass. His double bass patterns here are murder (Pray For Villains, I See Belief). The bassist sounds good here too. Definitely adds to the overall sound. I don't think they've sounded this good before this record.

Dez has definitely found a groove metal sweet spot. His lyrics are simply great here. The choruses are simple words as always, but his rhythms are great... (Pray for Villains, Back With a Vengeance, etc.). He really has stepped it up this time around. The chorus on every song sounds great. Not only are the lyrics great, but his voice actually sounds great with the songs here. They layered some stuff for reverb and whatnot, but for the most part it sounds great.

I think this is definitely DevilDriver's strongest effort. They've gotten some technical stuff added to their writing, but it doesn't take away from that sweet as hell groove metal sound we love. 01. Pray For Villains 02. Pure Sincerity 03. Fate Stepped In 04. Back With a Vengeance 05. I've Been Sober 06. Resurrection BLVD 07. Forgiveness Is a Six Gun 08. Waiting For November 09. It's In The Cards 10. Another Night In London 11. Bitter Pill 12. Teach Me To Whisper 13. I See Belief Out of those, I think the best are Pray For Villains, Back With a Vengeance, Another Night In London, Waiting for November, Fate Stepped In, and Bitter Pill. Something strikes me about them. I love this album in it's entirety. There is nothing not to like, except for in a few sections, there is no traditional DevilDriver rapid fire double bass drumming. I don't own the album yet, I've only heard it. I will definitely be buying the album, probably the special edition. If it gets stolen I will undoubtedly buy it again. Go buy this if you have any sense. Pray For Villains wretched!

ingames
    koikomoru
    i was just wondering where these guys have been. I love all their albums so far. This is probably going to be one of the few i actually purchase.
    Karmapolice911
    Vypor
    webbtje : ingames wrote: First. Never heard them, I hope this reviews aren't like the overhyped new Chimaira album's ones. They are. This album is a massive step down from Last Kind Words. POSTED: 07/14/2009 - 08:40 am / quote |
    Im ready to hear this album, Last Kind words was good but a disappointment to me, it seemed to "run" and rush. the whole album sounded like that. Fury was the best, in my opinion. And also.. The new chimera album kicks ass too, in no way was it over hyped.
    z1mo
    I think this one is overproduced which takes the sharpest edge off which in my mind isn't a good thing. I liked The Last Kind Words more.
    AnEvilWalrus
    I love this album. Easily one of my favorites of all time. The only competition I can see it having this year is the new Dethklok album in September. Amazing. And why has noone mentioned It's In the Cards? That song is f**king heavy as s***.
    Everblack
    I really feel like it's a lot less aggressive than their previous albums, which makes it a lot less enjoyable for me, the aggressive sound was one of the things I really enjoyed about them.
    Judas_rising
    Karmapolice911 wrote: I think I've Been Sober is the best song on the album. The guitar work, especially towards the end, is unbelievable. It also has such a sick drum intro. I also like Teach Me To Whisper, where he says it in the chorus and then starts screaming his head off. Awesome album.
    +1 For I've Been Sober..kickass song....although the album is just a TEENY TINY bit of a step down from The Last Kind Words....a bit too overproduced....but still a kickass album overall...
    RUSTDOGG666
    This is a great band. Amazing how they can come up with this already cause that album with Clouds Over California is still pretty new. yeah Coal Chamber aint shit compared to this band and I dont care if Coal Chamber ever came back again.
    EpiExplorer
    Resurrection Blvd is the only song I've heard more than once. I think its amazing, if a bit repetitive. The vocals sound a bit different to me though...almost like hes doing a Robb Flynn and using the growling-sing style thing that doesnt sound amazingly good. Not really like his multi-octave scream from LKW. But cant ignore the guitar work I'm really looking forward to this, waited 2 weeks after ordering it online from play.com o.x
    Thedarkchild
    yeah, it's a really great album...i've been sober is one of my favforites. i like the intro to that song a lot... i hope my copy arrives soon (i live in germany and imported the special edition because an autographed booklet will come with it )
    [x]Huffy[x]
    Great album. Saw DevilDriver at Download, they did an awesome set, and when they played the title track from this album, the crowd went insane.
    systematication
    the agony scene wrote: It sounds great. No raw, unproduced LoG sound here. what!? sacrament is one of the most painfully overproduced album ever in my eyes.
    I was talking more Wrath. Because this album is Wrath's competition for the year.
    Kelicon
    Wow, no one has mentioned Pure Sincerity from what I've seen. Am I the only one that thinks that song is insane? But I agree and disagree with everyone. Definitely think this is about 1 notch lower than Last Kind Words, but still, an amazing effort.
    peg-leg97
    yeah i think this album is a little bit of a step down from last kind words but that is only by a hair this album is still an awesome album the song "ive been sober" really relates to things that have happened in my life so i really like this album
    peg-leg97
    and i agree with systematication this album is some competition for wrath i saw lamb of god and devildriver in concert in 2007 and it was a kick ass concert
    goest
    webbtje wrote: They are. This album is a massive step down from Last Kind Words.
    I offer up that each album has gotten exponentially better. ...Fury is still my favorite, though...
    punisher_spawn
    petersth0688
    good solid album a tiny step down from last kind words and fury but its nice 2 see them trying 2 evolve and try somthing different, in my opinion the drums are untouchable and the guitars should just stay simple because thats what make devildriver 2 me and dez is just god
    LarksTongue67
    webbtje wrote: ingames wrote: First. Never heard them, I hope this reviews aren't like the overhyped new Chimaira album's ones. They are. This album is a massive step down from Last Kind Words.
    Disagreed.
    Jasonleo15
    never really listened to much of the earlier stuff, but the drums on this album were insane! not to mention the riffs made me just want to break stuff
    chimera2510
    Once again, DevilDriver has turned out another beautiful album. Great reviews guys.
    [Azrael]
    I got it and it's amazing Guitars are ace on it. Ressurection Blvd. sweep riff is awesome!
    webbtje
    They are. This album is a massive step down from Last Kind Words.
    Deece
    On par with last kind words, maybe a tiny, baby step down. which means its still awesomeeee. I think the drums are mixed a bit too loud, but thats about it. 8/10
    kfong03
    dude you're missing out on a lot of good stuff... get "the last kind words" now!
    the agony scene
    Lion_Slicer
    ^Yeah but I do believe they are referring to Wrath, which did bring the production back down rather nicely. Surprising how much good that does for a band like LoG, Sacrament to me sounded... manufactured.
    SilverSpurs616
    I've only heard the title track so far and thats enough for me to want to get the album. I'll be buying this within the next few days!
    rebofthetemple
    They are. This album is a massive step down from Last Kind Words.
    I would argue differently. While Pray for Villains does have some filler songs imo, the songs Pray for Villains, Waiting for November, and Resurrection blvd more than make up for them. I would say this is about on par with the Last Kind Words.
    kontarisjohn
    AMAZING ALBUM! i liked the fury of our makers hand a lot and this one tops it!! great modern metal much much much better than the last chimaira..
    Connah
    this album is great. devildriver delivers! drumming is really good, awesome riffs. 4 solid albums of pure awesome
    shreddage1471
    i love this album, ressurection blvd is one of my current favourite songs, and i heard oin the radio last night! even though it was a rock show lol
    may666
    the album is really great.. especially the special edition \m/ the bonus tracks are awesome
    nobrightskys
    I have listen to the whole album a few times. I must say I am impressed. Its more then a noteworthy effort.
    efferus
    *Puts on flamesuit* Although the musicianship improved, I much preferred the Sacrament production to Wraths by a long shot. On that note, I'm still going to be checking this new DD album out...
    Corey Taylor
    *sigh, unfortunately i agree. i was hoping for an epic album from them, but this just wasn't that good at all
    TheTortured
    Listening to some of the songs of youtube, and holy ****, this is heavy. Better than the last album which was pretty good too.
    systematication
    punisher_spawn wrote: man this album kicks arse.. vocally i think its a tad of a step-down.. but the ****ing groove is there!! and thats what makes these guys so good.. this is definately #2 after last kind words.. i think it was the outro of "the axe shall fall" that did it for me.. gives me goosebumps everytime.. now thats musicianship.. is that even a word? XD
    Oh I know. That ending was damn amazing. The same can be said about Fate Stepped In's ending. Although not as good as TASF's, it's still pretty sweet.